Berlin wool?

Old August 3rd 03, 08:03 PM
Katherine Burgess

Default Berlin wool?

What is the gauge of your Berlin wool? As for the pins, I would think that
they are British (non-metric) sizes, and yarnforward has a conversion table
on their site.
HTH
I can't help with the fleeces, but I am sure that someone here will do so.
Katherine

"KARoloff" wrote in message
Hi all,

I really love making older (75yo) patterns, but have trouble figuring out

what
size "pins" to use, etc. Does anyone know what Berlin wool was? it seems

to be
a fingering weight; is it the same non-worsted used for Berlin work

needlepoint
and crewel embroidery?

Also just got a call from a friend who has about 20+ sheep, mostly
Southdown/Romney/Suffolk mutts used for meat lambs. He's bringing in a

Cheviot
ram this winter to try to improve wool quality, but meanwhile he's got all
these fleeces of not-great quality wool. He used to bring them up to a

co-op in
Vermont that spun them, but over the past few years his farm manager (now

gone)
had only used meat rams, and the quality of the wool went downhill fast.

Does
anyone have any ideas of what to do with them? I snag a few every shearing

and
use the skirtings in my garden (the wool really helps amend the soil).

Old August 3rd 03, 10:23 PM
SlinkyToy

There was an article in a recent SpinOff, or maybe Piecework, that discusses
all of the old yarn types.

http://dict.die.net/berlin%20green/

I found that link with a google for "berlin wool definition".

Zephyr implies laceweight or finer, I would think.

Old August 5th 03, 01:19 AM
CMM PDX2

Helen wrote:

In my limited experience, Suffolk resists felting to an
amazing degree,

Aha! Learn something new every day... g

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/

Grounding wool ?? Jude Needlework 4 January 4th 04 04:27 AM
Is wool from Merino sheep always labeled "Merino wool"? Ilya Zarembsky Marketplace 3 October 4th 03 03:56 AM
Felting Wool Lynne in Toronto Quilting 4 July 11th 03 11:57 PM