Quilt Frame

Old January 11th 05, 03:48 AM
MOMO

Default Quilt Frame

Hello:

Has anyone tried this quilt frame. Supposedly you use it with your sewing
machine with no need to get a quilting machine. Is it any good?

http://www.flynnquilt.com/frames.htm

http://www.nancysnotions.com/Nancys/...4D988364 64F9

Old January 11th 05, 04:07 AM
Mystified One

The limitations on using this come from the size of the arm on your machine.

You probably CAN make designs on your quilt with it, but they're going to be
small. If you want larger designs, there's no way around using a longarm.

I had a friend with a machine quilting business help me with finishing a
quilt for my uncle. I did stitch in the ditch for most of it, but she added
a rope design on the border. It was far cheaper than having her quilt the
whole thing, and she was running short on time anyhow. It cost me all of
$40 for the partial.

If you're looking to machine-quilt your own, you'll be happier saving the
bucks.

JMHO.

m...

Old January 11th 05, 07:21 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I've watched John Flynn demo this frame,
several times. And when the other watchers try it out,
many of them like it, many of them buy it. I have one of
the demo pieces John and several others worked on
w/ the frame; I like it, it's a funny little quilted piece.

Ragmop/Sandy--handquilter, no frames

"IMS" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:48:43 GMT, "MOMO" wrote:

Hello:

Has anyone tried this quilt frame. Supposedly you use it with your sewing
machine with no need to get a quilting machine. Is it any good?

http://www.flynnquilt.com/frames.htm

I just got one for Christmas, but don't have a quilt top finished yet to
try it on. It looks simple enough to use!

-Irene
--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

Old January 13th 05, 06:19 AM
DrQuilter

I haven't tried it but I fail to see why it would be much better than
doing it sans the frame. What I like about the long arms is that you
move the machine, not the quilt as in this case, which is a lot less
intuitive...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old January 13th 05, 02:15 PM
Julia in MN

You need a large work area for the Flynn frame, especially for large
quilts, because you are moving the frame. You need space the length of
the frame on both sides of your sewing machine, and your frame has to be
at least as long as the shortest side of your quilt. That means for a
king size quilt, you need 100 inches or so on each side of your sewing
machine. Even for a crib size quilt, you need 3 or 4 feet on each side.

The other problem with the Flynn frame -- and all the frames that are
used with regular sewing machines -- is that you can end up with a lot
of bulk under the arm of your machine. When you are working on the
center of your quilt, you have half the quilt plus the frame under the
arm of your machine. That may not give you much room to stitch if you
are working on a large quilt.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Mini B.C. quilt shop tour shhdesigns Quilting 13 September 15th 04 04:03 AM
Gifting a "used" quilt? KI Graham Quilting 13 September 6th 04 07:18 PM
Quilt Frame Plans buddylee Quilting 3 August 13th 03 12:17 AM
My first "real" Quilt -- LOL Kathy in CA Quilting 2 August 12th 03 10:28 PM