OT rcty

Old January 18th 04, 11:39 PM
Seanette Blaylock

wd (Caryn) had some very interesting things to say
about OT rcty:

I was told by a regular on rcty that MBC found out just 18 mos ago that her
family members were gassed in the camps.
Seems to me she's been going off on this nonsense longer than that.

I'm sure I remember this from not very long after I first started
reading this group, and I'm pretty sure that was about 1998.
Old January 19th 04, 12:31 AM
emerald

wrote in message
How interesting. I find a validity in revisiting some situations.

I am thinking of people like Lucretia - the witches in Salem.
Remembering the times and the lack of ability to have up to date news,
this alters how people would have perceived the guilt or otherwise of
these people were it to happen today and receive full media coverage.

I saw an interesting programme on TV (in the series called "Secrets of the
Dead"). These people postulated that the girls' hallucinations etc were
caused by ergotamine poisoning,. IIRC, they were exposed to the ergot by
eating bread made of mouldy wheat. Apparently there were more incidences of
"witchcraft" in the years in which the weather was foul and the harvest was
poor.

emerald

Old January 19th 04, 01:36 AM
Deb Milner

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:31:00 GMT, "emerald"
wrote:

these people were it to happen today and receive full media coverage.

I saw an interesting programme on TV (in the series called "Secrets of the
Dead"). These people postulated that the girls' hallucinations etc were
caused by ergotamine poisoning,. IIRC, they were exposed to the ergot by
eating bread made of mouldy wheat. Apparently there were more incidences of
"witchcraft" in the years in which the weather was foul and the harvest was
poor.

Actually, I believe it was rye bread, that the rye seeds had gotten
moldy in the storage troughs.

--
Deb

WIP: How Great Thou Art (Leisure Arts Greatest Hymns II)
Old January 19th 04, 02:59 AM
Meredith

Hey, I've been there! Webs is in Northampton, MA (central MA), so when
you come back for your sleigh ride...

Meredith

Karen C - California wrote:
In article ,
ekoluvr (Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply ) writes:

I have NO idea where to look for a teacher
here

OK, I'm going to commit a major no-no and release part of my EGA column to RCTN
before it's been published.

And I quote (from myself):
"www.yarn.com is the home of WEBS: America's Knitting and Weaving Superstore.
On large orders, you get an automatic discount. There are looms and spinning
wheels for the ambitious, or you can buy your yarn pre-made. I'm fond of
substituting fuzzy knitting yarn for Wisper, as a full skein can be had for the
price of two cards. Yarns can be split to make single strands for working on a
smaller scale, or you can use them whole for crewel or needlepoint. Again, a
catalogue can be ordered on-line, but you'll need to pay for it. Be sure to
click on Projects for some clever ideas! (These are kits, not free patterns.)
On the day I visited, the Classes page was titled "Spring 2003", but the
classes listed appeared to be Spring 2004. These are not on-line classes, they
are classes held in Massachusetts; I got stuck in a seemingly endless cascade
of Internet Explorer Script Error messages and finally had to close that page
to be able to click on another of the links, so don't click on Classes unless
you actually plan to go to Massachusetts for the classes! Other than that, the
website was easy to use."

ISTR my LYS occasionally does spinning classes, if you'd like to come visit the
West Coast Cat House. Rumpelstilzkin, and I don't think they have a website.
If you're serious about coming, I'll make a serious effort to remember to call
them and ask.

Old January 19th 04, 03:07 AM
Meredith

Eh, you can always stop reading for a week or use killfiles. (I believe
Seanette has a webpage listing how to killfile using various programs.)

Meredith

Artchick wrote:

"Pat P" wrote in message

Just ignore the flames, Carrie, if they upset you - mostly we all have a
good (if sometimes rude!) sense of humour, and good friends always insult
each other from time to time without taking real offence! We exchange a

lot

of knowledge, and generally just have fun when the stitching talk dries

up.

Pat P (aka Attila the Hen)

Attila the Hen? Wouldn't be a fan of Chicken Run, by any chance would you?

I'm a terrible ostrich, I'm afraid - head always in the sand when the
flamewars start up. I've left a lot of good groups because of it, and I'm
sure I've missed out on good information and friendships as a result. So I'm
trying to learn better, and am sticking around here for a while.

Thanks for the welcome!
Carrie

Old January 19th 04, 03:21 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Meredith had some very interesting things to
say about OT rcty:

Eh, you can always stop reading for a week or use killfiles. (I believe
Seanette has a webpage listing how to killfile using various programs.)

Not any more. :-(
Old January 19th 04, 04:10 AM
Texasxsgal1

CAryn
Thanks for your explanation. boy wouldn't i love to be a Time Lord--I would
immediatel decree that 8 hours of pure stitching (or reading or any other
hobby)time be added to the day LOL
kathy
san antono=io
Old January 19th 04, 04:16 AM
Texasxsgal1

Peeps bleaghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Mayo bleaghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
MW bleaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Now that I've got 90% of this NG disagrreing with me (better make tha 99%) . .
.. . . . .
:-)
kathy
san antonio

Old January 19th 04, 05:20 AM
Brenda Lewis

Robin Cook used this idea in the book "Acceptable Risk". Ergot is a
fungus that is found on rye and some other grasses. This idea
(associating ergotism and Salem) has some scientific following but only
circumstantial evidence is available in support.

emerald wrote:
I saw an interesting programme on TV (in the series called "Secrets of the
Dead"). These people postulated that the girls' hallucinations etc were
caused by ergotamine poisoning,. IIRC, they were exposed to the ergot by
eating bread made of mouldy wheat. Apparently there were more incidences of
"witchcraft" in the years in which the weather was foul and the harvest was
poor.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar