Opinion - Bisque Firing Cone 06 or 04

Old February 7th 05, 09:46 PM
DKat

Default Opinion - Bisque Firing Cone 06 or 04

We have always bisque fired to cone 06. One of the potters has suggested
firing to cone 04 to help eliminate various glaze problems. Any opinions on
this?

Old February 8th 05, 05:30 PM
Eric

Not sure what glaze problems you were experiencing, but for most of my
stuff 06 has worked fine. I used to bisque at 04 until one time I
think I over-fired a little and the clay lost so much of its porosity
that it was difficult getting glaze to adhere to it; that's why I only
go to 06 now and it is fine for my high fire and raku.

Two exceptions come to mind. Some teachers I've known (like my high
school teacher) bisqure students' pots at 04 so that it is less
vulnerable to breakage while glazing. Another exception is low-fire
ware. If you look at the label of many commercial low-fire glazes they
say to bisque at 04, even though the subsequent glaze-fire is only to
05 or 06.

Old February 8th 05, 06:09 PM
jedi

"Eric" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not sure what glaze problems you were experiencing, but for most of my
stuff 06 has worked fine. I used to bisque at 04 until one time I
think I over-fired a little and the clay lost so much of its porosity
that it was difficult getting glaze to adhere to it; that's why I only
go to 06 now and it is fine for my high fire and raku.

Two exceptions come to mind. Some teachers I've known (like my high
school teacher) bisqure students' pots at 04 so that it is less
vulnerable to breakage while glazing. Another exception is low-fire
ware. If you look at the label of many commercial low-fire glazes they
say to bisque at 04, even though the subsequent glaze-fire is only to
05 or 06.

We were getting bubbling in a Gerstley based glazed (Erin's base) that had
been acting fine. I suspect that the Gerstley is changing with each order.
One potter suggested that we try firing at a higher bisque. The studio is
meant for students at the University and they have little or no experience
so I was not sure if the decreased porousity would be harder or easier on
them. It is interesting to hear that the higher bisque can benefit them.

We have actually been trying to replace our glazes that have Gerstley which
is what I think is probably the issue.

//************************************************** *********

Erin's White - BaseHM = 35
Bentonite 100
Gerstley B 3200
Flint 3000
Talc 2000
Soda Spar F4 1400
EPK (Kaolin) 500

10100
Green
Copper Carb 200

Old February 8th 05, 09:15 PM
Andrew Werby

"DKat" wrote in message
We have always bisque fired to cone 06. One of the potters has suggested
firing to cone 04 to help eliminate various glaze problems. Any opinions

on
this?

[We were having pinholing problems in low-fire ware (not just Gerstly Borate
glazes). Firing the bisque to a maturity as high or higher than the glaze
helped eliminate the holes. I think these clays contain something volatile
that outgasses at peak temperatures, and makes its way out through the
molten glaze. On the other hand, the body was marginally less absorbant of
glaze, if that's an issue.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Old February 8th 05, 09:43 PM
walamalacalucy

"DKat" wrote in message ...
We have always bisque fired to cone 06. One of the potters has suggested
firing to cone 04 to help eliminate various glaze problems. Any opinions on
this?

04 fires it to maturity (or should if your kiln reaches the proper
temp.) for best results the bisque firing should be done 2 cones
higher than the glaze firing. the extra time and cost is minimal but
the result is a whole lot better, eliminating some of the blips that
can happen otherwise.
Old February 8th 05, 10:15 PM
Eric

Jedi wrote:

We were getting bubbling in a Gerstley based glazed (Erin's base)

that had
been acting fine. I suspect that the Gerstley is changing with each

order.
One potter suggested that we try firing at a higher bisque. The

studio is
meant for students at the University and they have little or no

experience
so I was not sure if the decreased porousity would be harder or

easier on
them. It is interesting to hear that the higher bisque can benefit

them.

We have actually been trying to replace our glazes that have Gerstley

which
is what I think is probably the issue.

//************************************************** *********

Ah ha! Gertley Borate (aka "colemanite" I think?) I've been hearing
for a few years to start watching out for inconsistent gerstley coming
from the mine, which I think is somewhere in California. I continued
using it with no bad results so I started thinking it might be a "Paul
is dead" sorta thing. I guess they were right, whoever "they" are.
I'll bet you are right in thinking its the gerstley. But I am no glaze
chemist.
BTW -- the 06 bisqueware that took the gerstley fine often had a glaze
on it that was almost all gerstley: the 80/20 clear crackle raku glaze
that you see everywhere.

Good luck!

Eric
SpunMud

Old February 8th 05, 10:26 PM
Eric

P.S.: by the way, when i mentioned that some people i know have
bisqued students' pottery a little higher, to cone 04, in order to
reduce breakage during "glazing," i just meant the process where the
bisqueware is touched, decorated, dipped and generally handled during
the glazing process -- not the glaze firing itself. the higher bisque
fire results in a more stout piece of ware that can better withstand
"rough" handling. sorry for being a bit vague there.

Old February 9th 05, 12:47 AM
jedi

"Eric" wrote in message
oups.com...
P.S.: by the way, when i mentioned that some people i know have
bisqued students' pottery a little higher, to cone 04, in order to
reduce breakage during "glazing," i just meant the process where the
bisqueware is touched, decorated, dipped and generally handled during
the glazing process -- not the glaze firing itself. the higher bisque
fire results in a more stout piece of ware that can better withstand
"rough" handling. sorry for being a bit vague there.

I thought that was pretty clear. We have on occasion had the kiln
underfired due to error and had a lot of breakage because the person
unloading did not know the difference or didn't care. A sore point with me
since I feel protective of the students.

Old February 9th 05, 10:17 PM
Ken

I agree Particularly for Earthenware
"DKat" wrote in message
We have always bisque fired to cone 06. One of the potters has suggested
firing to cone 04 to help eliminate various glaze problems. Any opinions

on
this?

Problems reconciling controller temp to cone: way over fired! tony Pottery 3 June 8th 04 10:09 PM
cone firing Stu Pottery 10 January 4th 04 07:11 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM
Bisque firing temp? GaSeku Pottery 7 July 10th 03 07:52 PM