firing agate rocks with pottery

Old October 12th 04, 07:25 AM
Marmaj40

Default firing agate rocks with pottery

Hi--I would like to know if anyone has ever put agate rocks in the bottom of a
bowl and then fired it to---- say ^ 6?
Since they are such beautiful colors, I thought if they would melt, they would
look interesting. They are small--probably no bigger than a quarter.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Martha
Old October 12th 04, 05:38 PM
Charles Spitzer

"Marmaj40" wrote in message
Hi--I would like to know if anyone has ever put agate rocks in the bottom
of a
bowl and then fired it to---- say ^ 6?
Since they are such beautiful colors, I thought if they would melt, they
would
look interesting. They are small--probably no bigger than a quarter.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Martha

if the rocks have any embedded moisture in them, they'd explode in the kiln.

you might try firing them separately first.

Old October 12th 04, 10:54 PM
Eddie Daughton

at least calcine 'em first, fire to about 800C GENTLY possibly in a box so
if they goes bang they won't be all over your kiln.....
Hugs
Eddie

Old October 13th 04, 03:53 AM
Slgraber

i think they'll melt down nicely. i think they are mostly a quartz make up.

they also likely have no water trapped inside. rocks usually form over time &
temperature - like fired pots.

make sure your initial bowl is well made. i have fired pots with glass inside
to melt up in a similar maner, and some pots crack up from the glass shrinking
at a much different rate then the pot.

one aspect of this that is fun is that the glass melts at such a different
temp, that upon cooling down you get crackles in the glass, yet the surface
also skins over to keep a clean flat layer on top. when seen in the sunlight
they can look like a layer of gem stones.

i've found green beer bottles work very well!

steve

Subject: firing agate rocks with pottery
From: (Marmaj40)
Date: 10/11/2004 11:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time
Hi--I would like to know if anyone has ever put agate rocks in the bottom of
bowl and then fired it to---- say ^ 6?
Since they are such beautiful colors, I thought if they would melt, they
would
look interesting. They are small--probably no bigger than a quarter.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Martha

steve graber

FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
Tour the Pottery Capital of the United States with Out & About Clayseeker Pottery 0 July 20th 03 10:12 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM