Home Jewelry Parties or Shows??

Old September 18th 05, 08:34 AM
Brenda Castillejos

Default Home Jewelry Parties or Shows??

Hi, I'm new to this group but after reading a few postings I'm really
happy I joined.

I recently began to make some wire wrapped and beaded jewelry and I
found a cute little art gallery that loved my designs and took all of
my jewelry in. But now I would like to sell some of my jewelry to
friends of friends. The only thing I thought to do was to bring them
all together by having a home party.

Is this tacky? I do not know if anyone is familiar with home jewelry
parties or not but I'm not. So, let me know! Also, do you have any
pointers?

I was thinking if I do have a home party, I would give the host a free
bracelet and/or probably 10% of the sales in free jewelry. I thought
these would be good incentives. I don't know???

If anyone has any ideas they would like to share with me, Please help!
I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brenda Castillejos

Old September 19th 05, 07:50 PM
Kandice Seeber

Not tacky at all - I've done that before with my mom's bunco group. They
loved it! Welcome!

--
Kandice Seeber
www.lampwork.net
oups.com...

Old September 22nd 05, 05:45 PM
Peggy

I don't think that a home party is tacky at all. I personally much prefer
to purchase from someone I know than from a store. Go for it!

Old September 22nd 05, 07:52 PM
karin

I take it you are wanting to do a home party at someone else's home,
not yours?

I have had 3 open houses at my house, and done quite well at each of
them. Probably would do better if I had a larger circle of friends,
and/or was better at getting the word out. :-)

I have a friend who has offered to have an open house for me at her
house - I'm not sure what the advantage to that would be, other than me
not having to clean. :-) Perhaps her friends would be more likely to
come to her house than mine...

I think some kind of payment for the hostess is called for. All the
commercial home parties do that sort of thing. Perhaps a sliding scale
($25 for $250 in sales, $50 for $500 or something) rather than a flat
10% if you feel that is too high. (Gives her the incentive to help you
get to the next 'level') And a hostess gift is nice too.

My biggest concern over doing it at someone else's house would be
losing control of the decorations, surroundings, etc.

Karin

Old September 22nd 05, 07:54 PM

Peggy wrote:
I don't think that a home party is tacky at all. I personally much prefer
to purchase from someone I know than from a store. Go for it!

brings up a thought: has anybody tried to piggyback on other
home parties? I'm friends with a Partylite rep., and candles
seems close enough to jewelry, especially going on Christmas
time (or not?)

Aloha,

Maren
Tropical seeds - Job's Tears Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/

Old January 1st 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 3:34:34 -0400, Brenda Castillejos wrote
(in message .com):

Hi, I'm new to this group but after reading a few postings I'm really
happy I joined.

I recently began to make some wire wrapped and beaded jewelry and I
found a cute little art gallery that loved my designs and took all of
my jewelry in. But now I would like to sell some of my jewelry to
friends of friends. The only thing I thought to do was to bring them
all together by having a home party.

Is this tacky? I do not know if anyone is familiar with home jewelry
parties or not but I'm not. So, let me know! Also, do you have any
pointers?

I had one of these forced upon me by my mother - she had a ton of
friends who were champing at the bit for pieces of my work. I made a
decent amount of money, but it was one helluva lot of work.

I've had a bunch of the guests from the party call me and ask if I
would throw another one at their home, so their friends would stop
asking where they got the funky jewelry. So far, I've turned them
all down, but with the vet bills I recently incurred, I might rethink
that.

For hints - you're really having two simultaneous parties - one for
jewelry, and one to sit around, sip wine and chat. You need a
minimum of three people working: a social party person, a cashier
and you, as the artist. The social party person, what you are
calling the hostess, does a LOT of work, and would probably be really
upset with just a bracelet. OTOH, the hostess at my party was my
mother