craft/art article by Grayson Perry

Old May 19th 05, 08:20 PM
Xtra News

Default craft/art article by Grayson Perry

What do you all think of this article?? Be really interested to hear, do
you like his work. I love it, but it sure is controversial. I listened to
him give a talk a couple months ago. A very interesting man.
Anyway here is the article
http://nzpotters.com/FeatureArticles/GraysonPerry.cfm

Cheers
Annemarie

Old May 19th 05, 09:03 PM
DKat

I think if they ate more fruit they might be more regular and be less full
of crap. But that is just my opinion. After I chew on it a bit I will
respond more responsibly and with more thought. Donna
White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Old May 19th 05, 09:05 PM

interesting, i agree with some. some not:

"And yet, the traditional craft areas have dried up."

well a lot of art & craft has been dropped by schools so the exposure
us older folk might have had isn't occuring anymore. ~ and since we
saw it *a lot* growing up, now today we don't, but that doesn't mean
it's dried up - just not openly visible anymore. ~ no teachers taking
us to see it or showing us anymore.

"Craft has lost its way and become precious; self-consciousness is one
of its great cankers."

it's precious now that it IS handmade. never before has the
industrialized world been SO much made of strictly manufactured stuff!
so for someone to step forward & perform his craft - he'll stand out &
may look cankerous to some. ~ like that guy on a street corner playing
saxaphone. he sure stands out! and he's not usually very good! but
you can't paint the music profession on such obvious people.

see ya

steve

Old May 19th 05, 10:41 PM
Lee In Mashiko, Japan

What if they had to have yard sales to pay for war? You can judge a
society by what it spends its money on.

--
=E6=9D=8E Lee Love =E5=A4=A7
=E6=84=9B=E3=80=80=E3=80=80 =E3=80=80=E3=80=80 =E9=B1=97

"With Humans it's what's here (he points to his heart) that makes the
difference. If you don't have it in the heart, nothing you make will
make a difference." ~~Bernard Leach~~ (As told to Dean Schwarz)

Old May 23rd 05, 06:18 PM
DKat

Art is man's attempt to create or produce an artifact, which stimulates an
emotional response. Some tend to think that this response needs to be a
positive for the art to be 'good' but the fact is that it is 'good' no
matter what the skill of the producer or what the response if it produces
the emotion that it was intended to produce. An abstract representing the
Holocaust of Hitler's Germany would be considered 'good' if it makes the
viewer respond in horror, sadness, etc assuming that was the intent of the
'artist'.

Skill in a 'craft' is one that takes years of work and training. To be
considered 'professional' in any field requires about 7 years of full time
work and training according to studies done in cognitive psychology. Being
a craftsman moves into the realm of being an 'artist' the moment the person
producing the artifact attempts to make what they are producing elicit an
emotional response. It does not matter if that response is the joy we feel
on seeing beauty or that of humor on seeing something whimsical or that of
sadness on seeing something that pulls us back in time, etc. The fact that
something is functional does not prevent it from being art. The fact that
something successfully elicits an emotional response as it was intended to
does not prevent if from being not well crafted or well crafted. Art does
not have to be non-functional nor does it have to be well crafted.
Something that is well crafted does not have to be art nor does have to not
be art.

The insult of saying a craftsman is not an artist applies to all who are
skilled in the craft of their work whether it is Picasso, Frank Lloyd
Wright, or Paul Soldner. This Article is the world as a child might see
it - oversimplified and lacking in sophistication.

Old May 24th 05, 01:32 AM
Lee In Mashiko, Japan

It looks like Perry has craftskill, but his stuff is as ugly as he is
in a dress. He is no artist.
I am guessing he couldn't make it as a painter so he took to decorating
badly formed pots.

--
Lee In Mashiko, Japan

Old May 24th 05, 03:49 PM

interesting lee, i thought his work reflected some Escher influence & i
kinda liked the business of the pieces. you have to look at them for a
while to start to see it all together.

~ but he sure is pretty ugly in a dress...

see ya

steve

Old May 25th 05, 03:35 AM
A & V

I Have just read the article - thanks Annemarie - and I am surprised at some
peoples reaction. I dont find the article derogarotive. Why such hostile
reaction to what it says?
So, I went over it again and I tend to agree with most things he says.
Actualy, almost all of it. Actualy, I cant find anything that I strongly
disagree with. He touched lots of aspects of art/craft in a very brief way
here... skimed the surface of many (perhaps painful )issues. I would like to
read more and in depth opinions.
As soon as I get some ink for my ever hungry printer, I will print the
article ant stick it on the wall in the studio to remind me who I am and
where I want to be.
Thanks again Annemarie!!
Andrea

"Lee In Mashiko, Japan" wrote in message
ups.com...
What if they had to have yard sales to pay for war? You can judge a
society by what it spends its money on.

--
? Lee Love ?
??? ?? ?

Old May 25th 05, 05:00 AM
dkat

Perhaps I had such a negative response to it because I have seen crafts
being eliminated from our schools because of the attitude displayed in this
article. The arts departments in our University will not even allow
functional pieces to be created in the ceramics classes - all you see coming
out of that department are what I consider 'gag me with a spoon' sculptures.
If you look at Picasso's work when he started out, it was beautiful
classical drawings. Even if you do want to move into the abstract and the
whimsical you should at least have a sense of the history of the working of
clay and be able to create the 'classical' pieces. I think you should
understand the fundamentals of what goes into glazes and what makes them
melt, gives them color, etc. but I don't declare what makes one form of
creation superior to another form of creation. I tend to be somewhat hostile
to anyone that builds their own ego up by declaring how others are inferior.

Old May 25th 05, 06:38 AM
A & V

But that is just the thing, I don't get the message from the article that he
thinks that craft is inferior, he is just stating that they are not the
same.

...."But craft isn't just a synonym for the hand-made. It is about technical
skill but there must be a good idea guiding it, either traditional or
innovative. I love craft objects to look at, but for me the best thing is a
combination of its meaning, its beauty and its craftsmanship. It is all
these things combined that make art exciting
The essential distinction between art and craft is that art has an emphasis
on feelings and ideas and the crafts have an emphasis on technique."...

So I guess that he is trying to define terms art and craft. That is an old,
old debate. How would you define them?? I personally start having problems
when "design" is distilled out as separate from both art and craft. I think
that "design" can't stand by itself, but "craft" can. An object can be
"craft" without being "art" and vice versa. What we are ultimately looking
for are those which are both.. In my opinion Art is something we strive for
when creating, jet it only seldom happens. Not every painting is "ART" most
of them are just paintings -"craft" (if that!).
I don't think that pots are craft and paintings art, yet I found that quite
often people refer to them in those terms.
I guess that part of the debate is purely linguistic, but language is
changing as well as our use of it and we sometimes need to define (perhaps
redefine) terms we use. I often struggle when describing my work. Mostly I
don"t make pots or sculptures in traditional sense, yet often I still call
them "pots" for the lack of a better word.
I hope my opinions don't offend, I think that we are all on the same side. I
am sad too about the changes in education, but perhaps redefining can help.
If ceramics is not studied as craft is it coming back as art or as design,
or perhaps as design for industry. Clay will surface somewhere! Actually, WA
school of art and design where I studied ceramics has changed the name of
the courses to include the word "craft" ( I can't remember exact wording) -
yet at the same time they had cut curriculum in half and almost eliminated
glaze technology. Now I know how the knowledge can die out. But that has
happened all through history I believe... look at the old roman (or was it
Greek?) pots which were decorated only with slip - I don't think it is
repeatable today.
Sorry for all the rumblings. Hope to hear your opinion
Andrea

"A & V" wrote in message
[...]

article about sewing in today's Baltimore Sun Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen Needlework 9 November 20th 04 08:10 PM
extra money for your crafts Onemoredrunk Marketplace 0 October 11th 04 01:44 AM
Newsweek Article Kathryn Yarn 3 January 26th 04 03:40 PM
HOW TO TURN $6 INTO $6000 AnthonyT12341234 Marketplace 0 January 6th 04 12:24 AM
old magazine article walkermetalsmith General Crafting 0 December 5th 03 07:28 AM