Designer Fan Clubs

Old July 22nd 03, 07:46 AM
Brenda Lewis

Default Designer Fan Clubs

My face never did freeze that way. Well, I don't think it did...

KDLark wrote:
Parents who LIE to their children. Shameful.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old July 22nd 03, 10:55 AM
wild

Also the carrying angle of the arms is greater in woman than men. That
is, if arms are held straight down with palms facing forward, the angle
between directly down and where the forearm actually points is bigger in
women. (learnt THAT one in 2nd year genetics - who said science had no
artistic value?)

Jacinta

Ellice wrote:
On 7/21/03 9:55 PM,"Brenda Lewis" posted:

And inside of elbow to wrist = length of the foot

SunFire wrote:

Well, shoulder to elbow should be equal to elbow to tip of fingers
(approximately, had to bend my elbow and put my hand on my shoulder to make
sure) And, shoulder to tip of fingers should end up right about halfway
between the butt and the knee.

Ah, but this also depends on whether you are using the more anatomically
correct proportional scale, or the slightly elongated, more pleasing to the
eye scale. A thing which has been beaten into my little engineer fighting
the artist head - by the instructor in my adv figure studio class. Drawing
an artistically pleasing subject, rather than a portrait of the model, who
is just there for reference - not a portrait. Except in portrait class, of
course.

And, the proportions for women are slightly different than for men, not just
hip width, but angles, slope of the legs, relative length of torso, arms,
etc.

Darn, I just miss going and draw'n them thar nekked peeples. Some really
interesting models.

Seriously, Caryn, do you have a mannequin - I find it helps with
foreshortening, and some posing in getting a better grip on the proportions.
Also, great reference book (one of my splurges last year) "Anatomy Lessons
from the Great Masters" - just what it says. Takes great works of art, and
lets you see how wonderful artists portrayed anatomy, so incredibly well.

ellice

--
ÐÏࡱá

Old July 22nd 03, 12:01 PM
Caryn

I have been drawing 5-fingered (and 5-toed) people since age 2 (long story,
I just did not understand why everyone else was forgetting the thumbs all
the time). Is she holding the hand(s) above, below, in front or behind the
crystal?? And is it the right or left hand??

She's standing behind the ball, which proportionally would be about a foot
across. Originally she was holding her hands evenly on either side of it, in
the air beside it, but having removed the arms to redraw them, I've been
considering one hand higher as if she's trying to use her magic energies to
call forth the images.

Clear as mud right?

Caryn

Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old July 22nd 03, 01:10 PM
Cristilyn Schoenborn

KDLark wrote:

My father told me that if I kissed the tip of my elbow, I'd turn into a boy.

One of my childhood books said that if you could kiss your elbow, it meant
that you were a fairy. I never managed it either, though, lol.

Cris
Old July 22nd 03, 07:05 PM
Caryn

And I learned the difference between men's and women's arms when DH was
teaching me how to bowl. The inside of men's elbows face their side
when hanging straight down--womens' face more out. Makes a big
difference in how the ball reacts. Women usually have to counteract the
way their arm wants to swing to get the ball down the lane properly.
When I was discussing this with my anthropology-hobbyist boss, we
figured it probably had something genetically/evolutionarally (is that a
word?) to do with women carrying children. Also why our balance point
(I think that's right) is more toward our hips and men's is their shoulders.

--
Joan

That is fascinating! Drawing teacher never mentioned it, that's for sure, but
it also explains why dh was able to hold the babies in a way I never was and
neither of us quite got why not.

Not that he held the babies more than I did! ROFL....just differently

Old July 22nd 03, 07:41 PM
Cyn

Caryn wrote:
[...]

Why not get a ball, a table and a person to basically stand in the
position that you would like your design to be in, and take a photo of
the pose. That way you would have a visual reference to look at and
could try a couple of different hand positions to see how it would look.

Cyn

Old July 22nd 03, 07:44 PM
Ellice

On 7/22/03 5:55 AM,"wild" posted:

Also the carrying angle of the arms is greater in woman than men. That
is, if arms are held straight down with palms facing forward, the angle
between directly down and where the forearm actually points is bigger in
women. (learnt THAT one in 2nd year genetics - who said science had no
artistic value?)

Jacinta

Certainly not Leonardo - who used autopsies for sketching. And the many
artists of prior centuries who sat in on medical classes - to see. Any good
artist who does figure drawing has to have an understanding of underlying
anatomy. Well, to be really good. How can you do movement, if you don't
understand the underlying structure?

Good point, Jacinta.
ellice

Old July 22nd 03, 07:48 PM
Ellice

On 7/22/03 1:06 PM,"Joan Erickson" posted:

wild wrote:

[...]

Women's pelvic girdle is wider. Legs at different, steeper angle toward
feet. Women's legs not as straight as men. Articulation in shoulder joint is
also different, as well as elbow slight difference - hence, throwing like a
girl. Shape of rib cage is slightly different, it's all pretty interesting.
Related to functionality of child-bearing - versus heavy lifting. That's why
the "standards" for figure proportions aren't exactly a norm, but a close
medium, and for female figures it's different than for men.

ellice

Old July 23rd 03, 03:51 AM
Lynn Hansen

In article ,
Joan Erickson wrote:

The inside of men's elbows face their side
when hanging straight down--womens' face more out. Makes a big
difference in how the ball reacts.

Wow. When bowling, I always just thought it was my hip that got in the
way. My hips are, of course, wider proportionally than most men's.
The elbow turn you mentioned is important in archery, too. Women are
much more likely to release the sting and do some impressive bruising to
their elbows than men, due to the angle. The good news is that that's a
mistake you only make once!

Lynn
Old July 23rd 03, 02:23 PM
Joan Erickson

Lynn Hansen wrote:

The elbow turn you mentioned is important in archery, too. Women are
much more likely to release the sting and do some impressive bruising to
their elbows than men, due to the angle. The good news is that that's a
mistake you only make once!

BTDT, too, Lynn! Ouch! Had forgotten that one, since I don't do a
whole lot of archery.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.HeritageShoppe.com/heritage/temp/joan1.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)