New UK Knitting Magazine - "Simply Knitting"

Old April 4th 05, 07:40 PM
Penny Gaines

Default New UK Knitting Magazine - "Simply Knitting"

I was in WHSmith today, when I found the first issue of a new knitting
magazine called "Simply Knitting". I bought a copy, and had a quick flick
through.

The obvious comparison is to "Knitting", and I think it comes out well,
although the chances are if you really like "Knitting" you won't like this.
Where "Knitting is aimed at people who can knit and want complex patterns
(ideally using obscure yarns), "Simply Knitting" seems at first glance to
have easier patterns (in fact the cover says "14 simple patterns to start
today"), using readily available wool - mostly Sirdar, with some Rowan and
Debbie Bliss. There is a lot of basic how to knit info as well.

The whole style of the magazine reminds me of another magazine: it might be
Prima, but its not quite the same.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old April 5th 05, 12:47 AM
Els van Dam

In article , wrote:

I was in WHSmith today, when I found the first issue of a new knitting
magazine called "Simply Knitting". I bought a copy, and had a quick flick
through.

The obvious comparison is to "Knitting", and I think it comes out well,
although the chances are if you really like "Knitting" you won't like this.
Where "Knitting is aimed at people who can knit and want complex patterns
(ideally using obscure yarns), "Simply Knitting" seems at first glance to
have easier patterns (in fact the cover says "14 simple patterns to start
today"), using readily available wool - mostly Sirdar, with some Rowan and
Debbie Bliss. There is a lot of basic how to knit info as well.

The whole style of the magazine reminds me of another magazine: it might be
Prima, but its not quite the same.

Hello Penny, I did see it, but have not looked into it as yet. We have
now so many knitting magazine available here that it is hard to keep up
with. I liked the Family Circle Spring issue of Easy knitting, It has
several great patterns for little ones. My interest right now is focused
on our two Grand daughters. There is a dinosaur pattern that I will try
working on my knitting machine. I also like the hooded top knitted from
sleeve to sleeve. That is a great top to knit with fine cotton yarns
(weaving yarns I bought at a liquidation place) You can take 10 ends at
the time and still have a nice medium thread to work with. With the multi
colours, you can drop on end and add another one and slowly change the
colour will knitting across. With these two projects lined up, I dare not
look at another knitting magazine.LOL

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old April 5th 05, 08:43 PM
Penny Gaines

Els van Dam wrote:

Hello Penny, I did see it, but have not looked into it as yet.**We*have
now so many knitting magazine available here that it is hard to keep up
with.**I*liked*the*Family*Circle*Spring*issue*of*E asy*knitting,*It*has
several great patterns for little ones.

If only! Over here, only Knitting and now Simply Knitting are easily
available. I can get the Rowan magazine from John Lewis (a UK dept
store), but I don't often go near one, and anyway I couldn't afford
to buy much Rowan wool.

I've had a longer look at Simply Knitting, and I like it: I might even knit
one of the cushion covers they have. None of their knits was complicated -
they are all in the "knit in front of the TV" standard, so I can see myself
actually doing them. And I'd just resolved to Not Buy Any More Wool until
I'd used up some of what I've got! But the fluffy cushion just appeals so
much, and it says it only takes two evenings.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old April 5th 05, 11:52 PM
Sue W

Hi Penny,
I just found a copy at our local newsagent today, but haven't done more than
flick through it yet. This same newsagent orders me 'Sandra' knitting mag,
this usually has several patterns I like so it's very good value, as long as
you can get by with fairly minimal pattern directions. Otherwise, Knitting
is the only other mag I know of over here, and I'm not all that keen on it
(only occasionally anything I would consider making). I'm still waiting for
my first Knitters to arrive, but surface mail is very sloooow!

--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

Old April 5th 05, 11:55 PM
Els van Dam

In article , wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:

[...]

Penny I am smiling at your "I'd just resolved" Good luck kiddo.....I do
not know how many times I have brooken that promise to my self....Ha,
ha....

Four of us went to Salt Spring Island (one of the Gulf Island off the
coast of BC) We were going to a talk on blending and using colours in
spinning. Becausse we had to take a very early ferry, we had lots of time
left over to go to Treenway Silks (some of you may be familiar with her
mail order business) They were in the middle of packing up for a big show
in Chicago, a quilting show. Still Karen Selk showed off her new arrivals
of lovely yarns. Bingo there went my resolution straight out of the
door. I bought the Yak/silk blend and also a skein of Camel hair/silk
blend. I have wound the skeins into balls and one, the yak/silk blend is
now a warp ready to be put on the loom. The yarn is fine and the set is
36 ends per inch for a twill weave. I was just a bit short (41 ends) for
the two scarfs I have set up) So the center stripe is going to be from
some soft green silk. We also, after the talk and pot luck lunch, went
to Jane Staffort's new studio. Again I came out of there with a shopping
bag in my hands. This time I bought The Best of Weavers Twill Thrills,
Great book in a great series. Also a small book translated from French,
called Colors the story of dyes and pigments. Both these books were on my
wish list, and it did not help that they were promenently
displayed....LOL I also got a sweet little booklet, called "Knitter I
Know" by Linda Niemeyer. In it a found a similar pattern that I used for
Kira's (March 6x6 partner) squares. The colour use in the squares is the
same but how the knitter got there is very different. Kira, I will work
with this and I owe you another square, just to show you how ideas can be
the same, and also at the same time so different.

As you can see Penny, I came home with lots of stuff, and yes I do have a
room full with yarns and books as well.....OK this time I really am not
going to buy anything when I am out there, for sure, promise, hand on my
heart.....

LOL

Els, who is now going to put her warp on the loom

--
hate spam not welcome
Old April 6th 05, 05:42 PM
JCT

It sounds like you had a lovely trip to Salt Spring Island. We have
gone there by boat a couple of times and really loved it. I can only
imagine a yak/silk blend - it must be soft and lovely. Thanks for
sharing.
As for using up stash before buying more, I have stopped resolving. I
am clearly hopeless and into stash acquisition beyond life expectancy
(SABLE).
Els van Dam wrote:
In article ,