Crochet Scarf Pattern Help!

Old November 12th 03, 09:40 PM
Lindy

Default Crochet Scarf Pattern Help!

A friend of mine just got back from a visit to the coast where she found a yarn
shop and purchased some gorgeous stuff in hopes she could get me to make her a
scarf. She said she asked the woman how many balls it would take for a scarf
and was told it should take two. I'm looking at these balls and don't know how
in the world I'm going to make a scarf out of these two little balls! They are
more of a string-type material, rather than a yarn (more for accessory than
warmth I think) and it says they are 100yds ea. I'm panicked because I don't
know how far this stuff will go. I guess, as a last resort, if I run out I
could try finding some more on the Internet. Does anyone have a crochet scarf
pattern that takes very little yarn? Aaaarrgh!
~Lindy~
Old November 12th 03, 10:03 PM
Trish

Hi Lindy

Can you knit? It's much easier to knit with than crochet. But they are
right. 2 balls is plenty to make a scarf:)

If you're crocheting, I would use a 6.5mm hook & chain about 4 inches then
just work rows of dc until the yarn runs out:)
Which brand did she get? There are so many great ones out the)

--
Trish
http://community.webshots.com/user/trishirvine

Old November 12th 03, 10:23 PM
seaspray

I once made a scarf for my DS out of fancy yarn with intertwined strands of
metallic thread running through it and sticking out of it. I do not
remember the type of yarn right now. I just crocheted a chain about7 or 8
inches wide. I used a larger hook and just did a double crochet chain two
and a double crochet... following this pattern throughout. On the retun
side, put the double crochet in the chain two space. I did the stitches on
the looser side. It is an open lacy-type look that is meant for looks, not
warmth. You could add fringe on the ends if you have enough. It is really
the interesting kind of yarn that makes this scarf a winner. Have fun!
Seaspray

Old November 13th 03, 02:19 AM
Lindy

Trish said:

Can you knit?

Not good enough to make a scarf. I don't enjoy knitting as much. I'm diabetic
and my fingers are pincushions to begin with so the knitting needles make them
very sore. I'm much more comfortable crocheting.

If you're crocheting, I would use a 6.5mm hook & chain about 4 inches then
just work rows of dc until the yarn runs out:)

That sounds easy enough!

Which brand did she get? There are so many great ones out the)

It says "Lina G and that's it. No color name or number, no dye lot, no care
instructions, nothing. Just a label that says "Lina G, Morro Bay, CA" She got
two different ones, one is a thick string-type/cotton? rayon? i'm not sure and
is very earthy looking in color. Variations of brown, copper, turquoise,
midnight blue. Very pretty. The other is a ribbon yarn, rust colored with
some gold and copper shimmering through it. I would love to incorporate both
of these for one scarf but afraid to attempt it. Thanks for the idea Trish!
~Lindy~
Old November 13th 03, 02:22 AM
Lindy

Seaspray said:

I once made a scarf for my DS out of fancy yarn with intertwined strands of
metallic thread running through it and sticking out of it.

Oh yum! This sounds great!

I just crocheted a chain about7 or 8
inches wide. I used a larger hook and just did a double crochet chain two
and a double crochet... following this pattern throughout. On the retun
side, put the double crochet in the chain two space. I did the stitches on
the looser side. It is an open lacy-type look that is meant for looks, not
warmth. You could add fringe on the ends if you have enough. It is really
the interesting kind of yarn that makes this scarf a winner. Have fun!

Another great idea! Thank you Seaspray!
~Lindy~
Old November 13th 03, 07:21 AM
Laurie

I agree with Seaspray. My first thought was that when she spoke of a
scarf she saw that only took 2 skeins was one of those cute, trendy,
thin, long, very loosly knit/crochet scarves (if it was knit it
probably had rows of yarn overs or something). Another crochet
pattern to take a peek at is at
http://www.users.qwest.net/~user21179/partyscarf.htm

It can be made for less than 2 balls of yarn.

It is too bad she didn't get 4 balls so you can teach her how to
crochet too! :-)

Laurie
Washougal, WA
Old November 13th 03, 01:10 PM
Trish

Shouldn't be a problem Lindy

Just use a bigger hook. or work it in stripes, that would be interesting:)

They are very free form, just have fun:)

Old November 13th 03, 02:05 PM
Lindy

Laurie said:

Another crochet
pattern to take a peek at is at
http://www.users.qwest.net/~user21179/partyscarf.htm

Another good one!

Thanks to all who responded. I'm going to fiddle around with all of these and
see which one catches my fancy.
~Lindy~
Old November 13th 03, 06:03 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Seaspray,

That sounds like the pattern that Darwin sent the website for the other day and
I printed it off.

Hugs,

Nora