still on food dyes

Old November 7th 03, 05:34 PM
Anna MCM

Default still on food dyes

Hi!

I asked my friends on the Italian cooking group (it.hobby.cucina) and
that´s what I got until now:

http://www.decora.it/web/vol2_colori/colori.htm

These are the codes of the colors:

http://www.nova3.com/_serv/_utilita_...olori_alim.htm

I got them VERY curious about that and I invited them to join us here,
so it´s possible that we´ll get someone writing from Italy :-)
They asked me why not to use ready done textiles dyes, I answered that
this way is more fun and that´s like to use ready made pastry ;-)
Did I answer correct?

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old November 8th 03, 01:15 PM
CMM PDX2

Anna Maria wrote:

I asked my friends on the Italian cooking group
(it.hobby.cucina) and that´s what I got until now:

http://www.decora.it/web/vol2_colori/colori.htm

These are the codes of the colors:

http://www.nova3.com/_serv/_utilita_...olori_alim.htm

Well, they've certainly got the primary colors you can use to mix any color you
want. The kind in the little jars, the pastes, are the ones I've seen sold in
craft stores, btw. Apparently more concentrated. (again, I don't do cake
decorating myself, but did have a friend who took several Wilton courses and
did. one of my aunts used to, also. she made my wedding cake, and it was
gorgeous!)

I got them VERY curious about that and I invited them to join us
here, so it´s possible that we´ll get someone writing from Italy
:-) They asked me why not to use ready done textiles dyes, I
answered that this way is more fun and that´s like to use ready
made pastry ;-)
Did I answer correct?

Hee - rcty grabs another bunch of unsuspecting folks!

And personally, Anna Maria, if I were into using food colorings for dyeing, the
reason you gave is why I'd be doing it . I actually prefer commercial dyes, but
still, yeah; I dye yarn or whatever because it's fun, and I can get whatever
color/effect I want. Plus I can buy white or light-colored yarns on sale,
over-dye them, and save a lot of money! No waiting to find a bargain in the
right color. Most commercial hand-paints are way out of my league.

I have dyed the odd item with food coloring. Some rather unusual things were
shoes. g Back in my younger days when I wore heels - gack - I found a great
sale on some high-heeled slip-ons; $1.50 a pair. Mules, I think? You know, the
kind where the uppers are just a band of fabric/leather over the broad part of
your foot; you slide your foot in and hope it stays on. ) The sole and heel
were some molded fake wood stuff, but the uppers were natural-colored leather.
I got 4 pair and sponged undiluted food coloring on them, then gave them a coat
of clear shoe polish after they dried. Came out very pretty, and a lot cheaper
than shoe dye! This was way before I got into spinning, so I didn't know about
acid dyes... but fortunately, the shoe polish sealed the color in anyway, even
without using vinegar or heat. g I wore all those shoes to death for at least
5 years or so, and the color never faded. Talk about your bargains!

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old November 8th 03, 06:27 PM
Anna MCM

CMM PDX2 wrote:

Hee - rcty grabs another bunch of unsuspecting folks!

And personally, Anna Maria, if I were into using food colorings for dyeing, the
reason you gave is why I'd be doing it . I actually prefer commercial dyes, but
still, yeah; I dye yarn or whatever because it's fun, and I can get whatever
color/effect I want. Plus I can buy white or light-colored yarns on sale,
over-dye them, and save a lot of money! No waiting to find a bargain in the
right color. Most commercial hand-paints are way out of my league.

Moreover, I guess, it´s not as toxic as using commercial dyes!

[...]

Monica please please please write a book!
What a treasure you are!
A year ago a friend of mine and me went crazy because we couldn´t find
green shoe polish here in Stockholm! She wanted to wear her green shoes
for a job interview but she could not polish them... well, we had my
parents sendig us green polish from Italy LOL
Meybe you method would have made the trick!
She didn´t get that job, by the way, but she got a very good one after
some months :-)

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old November 9th 03, 04:28 PM
Karen

"Anna MCM" wrote in message

CMM PDX2 wrote:

[...]

I learn the neatest things on this group -- between tips on how to get out
stains, to softening yarn, to making needles and dying yarn, and now using
food coloring for shoes. It would be neat to come up with a compilation of
some of these things, wouldn't it?

Karen in MN

Old November 10th 03, 02:02 PM
Randee

Anna MCM wrote in message ...

They asked me why not to use ready done textiles dyes, I answered that
this way is more fun and that´s like to use ready made pastry ;-)
Did I answer correct?

As someone who loves to do food color yarn dyeing, you answered
correctly! I've had more fun playing with these inexpensive dyes
that my grand kids can help with than investing tons of money for an
extra set of dyeing pots, expensive dyes, etc. I feel I can afford to
experiment with these and it is so much fun...almost as much fun as
making them into something!
Old November 10th 03, 11:30 PM
Randee

I bought some brown Wilton's Creme Food coloring today. Haven't had a
chance to try it out, but probably will tomorrow. Will let you all
know how it worked.