I can do it!

Old August 12th 10, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default I can do it!

Way to go!

I too pin each little piece before putting them through the machine.
And I love it!

Claudia
Old August 12th 10, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Thanks Pat! I asked because I usually piece with a longer stitch to give
the quilt a more old fashioned look (to me anyway). Also, I only use
larger blocks, or scraps of cloth because it takes less time. I read
somewhere, sometime, that if you use a large zig-zag stitch, then when you
turn it over it will more resemble a hand stitch. I used this on knit
squares once and I liked the look.
Barbara in HOT SC

Old August 13th 10, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

A word of warning, Pat, my friend. Has anybody mentioned that it is a good
thing to check the amount of thread on your bobbin before you launch into a
long line of chain-piecing? And a question - not once after hundreds of
quilts for the needy newborns has one wee babe complained if I floated or
chopped a point although I do try for accuracy - do you find any effect at
all in your accuracy by chain- piecing? Polly

Old August 13th 10, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I wonder if there is a record for the most pieces chain
pieced without bobbin thread. I probably am not
tops but maybe near it. On my old Bernina I could hear/feel when the bobbin
thread was just about out. Not so much with the machines since.
Taria

Old August 13th 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Taria, I'm with you. I could hear the 1230 and the 155 when the bobbin ran
out; not so with the 440. I thought it was my hearing. And ! I was too
polite to mention that it is our Leslie who holds the record for Most pieces
chained without a bobbin. Do we have any challengers? Polly

"Taria" I wonder if there is a record for the most pieces chain-pieced
without bobbin thread. I probably am not tops but maybe near it. On my old
Bernina I could hear/feel when the bobbin thread was just about out. Not so
much with the machines since.

"Polly Esther" A word of warning, Pat, my friend. Has anybody mentioned

Old August 13th 10, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I just sewed 26" of binding on without bobbin thread. Okay, not sewn
on. But after another bobbin was in, I knew exactly where to sew the
line again

Ginger in CA

Old August 13th 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Not mentioned, no! But I am going so slowly, and the seams are 2" or
less, so it isn't 'critical path analysis' in this instance g.

Again, going so slowly (which I prefer to do anyway - I have never had
my 6500 up to maximum!) I can maintain accuracy. I do watch each seam
to its end before I put the next one in!
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old August 13th 10, 10:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

One of the many things I like about the Pfaff is the little symbol
that appears on the screen when the bobbin is low (provided I
remembered to close the bobbin case after the last change). Generally
means about a yard left. When the symbol pops up, I start paying
attention. The sound changes a bit when there's no more thread.
Roberta in D

Old August 13th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

I never thought of trying to listen for a change in the noise the
machine makes.... good idea!

I don't mind running out of thread so much...but since I try to pull
pins out before they hit the needle I always have a lot of repinning to
do once the thread runs out. Such a pain when trying to match seams LOL!

Allison