Question about Cookie Cutters

Old November 4th 04, 05:46 AM
Marissa Undercofler

Default Question about Cookie Cutters

Is it really necessary to have separate cookie cutters for clay and cookies?
I am curious because I would like to make some shapes that are best made
with cookie cutters, but don't have a whole lot of money to be throwing
around atm to buy all new cookie cutters for my polymer clay. If I wash
them after using them that should take all the stuff off them right?

---------------------------
Marissa Undercofler -- Marissa's Creations
To see finished pieces:
http://groups.msn.com/MarissasBeaded...f/shoebox.msnw

Old November 4th 04, 12:47 PM
Diana Curtis

It is recommended not to mix the cooking and the clay gear, even with
washing there could be residue.
Having said that *its a cover your ass statement* I do use my cooking stuff
for clay occasionally and trust that a good wash will suffice. If you are
using metal cookie cutters I would think a quick wipe with rubbing alcohol
would do the trick before a sudsy bath. Im not sure how that would work with
plastic cutters, but then I dont know how the clay would affect the cutters
either.
HTH
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old November 4th 04, 02:03 PM
Sjpolyclay

Is it really necessary to have separate cookie cutters for clay and cookies?

PC isn't toxic Marrissa, but I did go ahead and turn almost all my cutters into
clay tools not food tools. Mostly this is to avoid cross contamination---even a
little bit of clay stuck in a seam of the cutter onto a cookie would bake at
350 degrees F (not good---clay fumes!!) AND leave a toothbreakingly crunchy
part if not careful! Now of course *I* am careful enough that probably wouldn't
happen....but I live in a house of "help myself" guys and I have to set a good
example too. They might not be as careful as I.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old November 4th 04, 06:14 PM
Marissa Undercofler

Thank you. I am usually pretty good about washing my cookies cutters
throughly after using. I will do the alcohol thing too just to be sure to
get all the stuff off.

Marissa

Old November 4th 04, 06:16 PM
Marissa Undercofler

I usually scrub my cookie cutters with a bristle brush (the kind for baby
bottle nipples), so I would definetly be able to get any excess clay out.

Thanks again.

Marissa

Old November 4th 04, 06:20 PM
~Candace~

I thought this read "I usually scrub my nipples" See what I get for
skimming a message?

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

Old November 4th 04, 07:14 PM
Arondelle

~Candace~ wrote:
I thought this read "I usually scrub my nipples" See what I get for
skimming a message?

Ouch!

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net