[Ganoksin] [Issue #110] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Old October 28th 04, 09:56 AM
Ganoksin

Default [Ganoksin] [Issue #110] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques
http://www.ganoksin.com

Ganoksin is run by a group of people who believe in and love what
they're doing. If you enjoy our efforts, then please feel free to
show your support!

Purchase the official Orchid Pin

http://www.ganoksin.com/splash

Mark your calendars now for the 2005 Annual Orchid Tucson Dinner, to
be held Saturday, February 5, 2005 at the The Savoy Opera House,
Tucson, AZ.

In This Edition:

1. Samuel Yellin - Sketching in Iron
2. The Garnet Group - A Neososilicate
3. Fearless Platinum Repairs
4. Jewelers share their stories about working with findings
5. Tips for removing, holding, and drilling pearls
6. Jim Binnion - Mokame Gane
7. Patty Cokus - Articulated Frusta
8. Nancy Jo Stroud - Handwoven Jewlery
9. Joan Dulla - Crochet

Great deal on a Great Book!

1000 Rings: Inspiring Adornments for the Hand
By Marthe Le Van
Introduction by Robert W. Ebendorf

http://www.ganoksin.com/jewelry-book...1579905080.htm

Price: $10.01
Media: Paperback
Manufacturer : Lark Books (NC)
Release data : 2004

Originally titled "500 Rings" this Lark Jewelry book project
authored by Marthe Le Van was intended to be smaller. A call for
entries yielded so many excellent images, that the book was expanded
to accommodate the extra submissions. This book is a visual delight
and a testament to the creativity offered by jewelers and
metalsmiths who celebrate the hand. At only $10.01, this is a deal
that shouldn't be missed!

In This Edition of Tips From The Jeweler's Bench
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/tip_sear.htm

1. Samuel Yellin - Sketching in Iron
By Anna Fariello

By the mid-nineteenth century, European ironwork was in decline due
to innovations brought about by the Industrial Revolution. Cast iron
was replacing the more time-consuming and skillfully made hammered
iron, driving the decorative smith toward extinction. A French
historian wrote that the last piece of decorative ironwork to be
produced in the 'glorious tradition' of wrought iron was made in
1809 and surrounded the choir in the Cathedral of Notre Dame. One
hundred years later - in 1909 Samuel Yellin established a blacksmith
shop and attempted to recreate the quality craftsmanship found in
historic ironwork....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/samuel-yellin.htm

2. The Garnet Group - A Neososilicate
By Edna B. Anthony

Garnet is a common mineral distributed worldwide. It occurs as
crystals, in massive and granular forms, and as tumbled pebbles. It
can form under a wide variety of geological conditions, but high
temperatures are essential for its development. It is of major
importance as a rock-making mineral in igneous, metamorphic, and
sedimentary rocks. It alters frequently to chlorite, serpentine, and
talc. Chemical stability and resistance to weathering permit
excellent crystals to be found in alluvial deposits. It is known
that inhabitants of the American southwest still recover crystals
from the desert sands and ant hills there. Garnet has imperfect
cleavage, but it can exhibit an unusual angular fracture. This
ability allows it to retain sharp cutting edges. Industry takes
advantage of this property and its hardness to produce abrasive
papers and cloths that are two to six times more efficient than
those of quartz....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/garnet.htm

3. Fearless Platinum Repairs
By Jurgen J. Maerz

What does it take to be successful at repairing, customizing, and
servicing platinum jewelry? First, an understanding of properties
unique to platinum. When platinum is mined, it is usually found with
one or more of its five sister metals, called the platinum group
metals: palladium, osmium, rhodium, ruthenium, and iridium....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...um-repairs.htm

4. Jewelers share their stories about working with findings
By Tina Wojtkielo

When a commercial finding isn't quite right but making the component
by hand seems like reinventing the wheel, creative modification
comes into play. That's what designer Jayne Redman of Cumberland,
Maine, encountered when searching for the perfect clasp for her Palm
Neckwire....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...ings-tales.htm

5. Tooling a Round - Tips for removing, holding, and drilling pearls
By Charles Lewton-Brain

When taking in a piece of pearl jewelry for repair, it may be
necessary to remove the pearl to avoid damaging it. Since most
pearls are held in place with glue, you can remove them by gently
warming the jewelry piece. You want the part near the pearl to get
warm and soften the glue. Most glues will soften with heat, allowing
you to pull the pearl off the peg easily....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...ith-pearls.htm

Ganoksin offers Webmasters with Free Website Content!

Integrate the most respected gem and jewelry content in the world
into your Website easily and free!

More than 150,000 articles are available in virtually every aspect
of The gem and Jewelry trade can be integrated to your website by
simply adding a few lines of source code.

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/tipsgate.htm

6. Orchid Gallery - Jim Binnion - Mokame Gane

After extensive research on this ancient technique, I have developed
my own modern method for making mokume gane using currently
available equipment and materials. In my work I fuse sheets of
platinum, gold, and silver alloys together. I then forge and carve
the stack to create unique patterns in the metal.....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/jim-binnion.htm

7. Orchid Gallery - Patty Cokus - Articulated Frusta

Inspired by an amazing collapsible cup that transforms from a flat
object to a container able to hold liquid, the Articulated Frusta
series is an exploration of constructing with frusta, or cone
segments. I hand fabricate metal to produce multiple freely growing
and receding wearable forms. Each piece transforms with the
slightest touch or movement of the wearer, expanding and collapsing
and twisting into various positions with subtle sounds revealing
every shift.....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/Patty-Cokus.htm

8. Orchid Gallery - Nancy Jo Stroud - Handwoven Jewlery

After a lifetime of producing art in many genres, I began taking
Jewelry Classes ten years ago. I have had the wonderful opportunity
to take many workshops from brilliant craftsmen through MASSAC. The
three artist that have influenced my work most are Mary Lee Hu,
Marnie Ryan and Deborah Jemmott. By combining the techniques of Wire
Weaving, Fusing, and Art Clay, I have created my own methods of
design.....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/nancy-jo-stroud.htm

9. Orchid Gallery - Joan Dulla - Crochet

When I crochet wire, I go into a meditative state, which soothes me.
It feels like heaven. As the wire runs through my hands, I feel the
coldness of the metal heat as I stretch and pull it. It?s softness
hardens as I manipulate it into place. It will do what I want. The
air seems to float as I shape the bead, ball or sculptural form.
Noise disappears as I get lost in the process. Five hours later I
have a necklace or a new sculptural form. The process fills my soul
and makes my heart sing....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/joan-dulla.htm

Video has arrived at Ganoksin!

Sometimes, the written word on a process performed in the jewelry
trade like metal casting, pales in comparison to the beauty of
watching molten metal in action.

Now available for online viewing, Daniel Ballard from PM West, shows
viewers the seductive glamour of making grain and casting. Blaine
Lewis from New Approach School for Jewelers teaches us how to sharpen
a graver and why it is important to keep them sharp. These are just a
few of the many offerings you will find at the Video Library!

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/video

Put an Orchid on your Bench

Join the most popular online community for jewelers, The Orchid
forums at http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid

The Ganoksin Project (http://www.ganoksin.com) is the largest virtual
single information source for searchable archived content for jewelry
and metals in the world. Its 5200 Orchid members foster sharing,
support community, enhance productivity and encourage studio safety,
by promoting education in the jewelry and metal arts worldwide.