Scarf Length ??

Old November 13th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Woolstitcher

Default Scarf Length ??

I'm knitting a scarf for a 6 foot 6 inch man... how long should it be?
When knitting a scarf for myself, I knit it from floor to shoulder length ..
I won't be able to measure that on the person that I'm knitting it for.
Thanks,

Old November 13th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Rick[_3_]

On Nov 13, 2:34*pm, "Woolstitcher" wrote:
I'm knitting a scarf for a 6 foot 6 inch man... how long should it be?
When knitting a scarf for myself, I knit it from floor to shoulder length ..
I won't be able to measure that on the person that I'm knitting it for.
Thanks,

I would assume an 18 inch neck and then you would probably want about
8 - 12 inches on each end to hang down or tie or whatever. So, I
would think 34 - 42 inches or so would probably be good enough.

Regards,

Rick Boesen
Olviet, Michigan
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com
Old November 14th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Thank you Noreen i never stopped to think about this measure method
for scarves ...
mirjam
Old November 14th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Woolstitcher

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Woolstitcher spun a FINE 'yarn':

+I'm knitting a scarf for a 6 foot 6 inch man... how long should it be?
+When knitting a scarf for myself, I knit it from floor to shoulder length
.. I won't be able to measure that on the person that I'm knitting it for.
+Thanks,
end quoted

Woolstitcher. . .

Welllllllllll.... first of all, do you feel that your measurment system
for yourself is a good scarf lenghth?

No, that's why I asked. I didn't know if there was a "standard" measurment
or size = to height.

Then, if so, what is YOUR height, and what is YOUR measuring from shoulder
to floor?
Should be pretty easy to do a bit of math and figure the same ratio for 6
foot 6, yes?
Personally, I always make scarves that are meant to be long a foot longer
than the person I'm knitting for, so at 5 foot 5, I make them 6 foot 5 for
ME.
At DH's height of 6 foot 2, his scarf is 7 foot 2.
HTH,
Noreen

--
http://www.paradisefibers.net/KA-Cla...htm&Click=1702

"What hurts *you* so bad that you feel you have to hurt *me* in order to
heal it?" fave quote of the year....

"Thoughts become things, choose the *good* ones" fave quote of my
lifetime...

Don't vote Republican, the identity you save may be your own!!! truism @
it's FINEST.

Old November 26th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alan

On Nov 13, 12:34*pm, "Woolstitcher" wrote:
I'm knitting a scarf for a 6 foot 6 inch man... how long should it be?
When knitting a scarf for myself, I knit it from floor to shoulder length ..
I won't be able to measure that on the person that I'm knitting it for.
Thanks,

One rule-of-thumb is to make it as long as the person is tall. Or as
long as it is from fingertip to fingertip with arms outstretched.
These are supposedly the same lengths. So, I would make it 6 feet 6
inches long. Of course, that's if you want a long scarf that can be
wrapped around the neck at least once. If you're going for more of a
short, tuck-it-in kind of scarf, you'll want to go shorter.

Necklace length question [email protected] Beads 4 February 15th 06 05:33 PM
table runner length? Pam in Spencerport Quilting 11 October 21st 05 11:56 PM
Scarves - length? Katherine Hutter Yarn 18 October 9th 04 08:31 AM
choker length biig Beads 3 December 18th 03 08:46 PM
weaving help for length Cher Yarn 7 September 28th 03 02:25 PM