Speaking of Polyclay -- I need advice

Old March 12th 04, 12:14 AM
Kandice Seeber

Default Speaking of Polyclay -- I need advice

Beautiful! Wish I knew enough to help - but I wish you good luck!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Since I've babbled about it endlessly, you all probably know about the
Egyptian cuff bracelet I've been making, and all the trials involved.

When I
found the original (http://snipurl.com/4rt1), I made a couple of

prototypes
and then purchased Delicas, because they seem so perfectly suited for the
task.

But I bought copper Delicas and sheet copper with which to make the clasp,
and it turned out hideously. The matte copper just doesn't have enough
contrast with the cobalt and red beads to make it look good. Still, I'm
finishing the bracelet (and the clasp) because I want my eventual finished
product to come out perfectly. The copper version will become yet another
prototype.

Several of you recommended rubbing gilt wax or gold leaf over the copper,

but
I've decided that since this project is supposed to produce top quality

work,
then I need to use top quality materials. I bought 24K Delicas (ouch) to
replace the copper ones, and I'm going to buy a sheet of the clasp

material
at the end of the month. I'm only buying a very small sheet, so it

shouldn't
be too expensive (crossing my fingers). Ideally, I want to avoid using

power
tools, since the original artisan had no power tools.

So here's the polyclay part: To make an embossed clasp with hieroglyhpics
without using power tools, I figured I could make a model clasp out of
polyclay, bake it, and then use the baked model to make a rubbing onto a

thin
sheet of gold or gold filled metal.

Does this sound possible and reasonable? Can I use one sheet of baked
polyclay to mold a second piece of polyclay to make a positive image? Do I
need to use something as a release like pan spray or cornstarch? Or is

making
a positive image not really possible?

Inquiring minds want to know. I haven't posted to rec.arts.polyclay,

because
it is such a low traffic group. Also, this is a sort of

jewelry/metal/beads
and polyclay situation.

Thanks, folks!

Kathy N-V

Old March 12th 04, 12:58 AM
Diana Curtis

Yes, you can make a positive and negative mold from polyclay. The mold
release I hear mentioned most often is cornstarch, because it washes
completely off. You may want to take a look at Sarajanes site, which has
great information about a molding product that may fit your needs more than
polyclay alone.
You may get the information youre after in www.glassattic.com under the
section called molds.
I hope this helps. This is going to be a fantastic bracelet!
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

.com...

Old March 12th 04, 07:08 AM
Deborah

Hi,
You can make a mold from the polyclay and then use a mold release agent. You
can also make a mold from this product:

http://www.puffinalia.com/miraclemold/miraclemold.html

(no affiliation...)

My understanding of this product is that you will not lose as much detail as
you might by using a polyclay mold.

Best,
Deborah

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
snip
So here's the polyclay part: To make an embossed clasp with hieroglyhpics
without using power tools, I figured I could make a model clasp out of
polyclay, bake it, and then use the baked model to make a rubbing onto a

thin
sheet of gold or gold filled metal.

Does this sound possible and reasonable? Can I use one sheet of baked
polyclay to mold a second piece of polyclay to make a positive image? Do I
need to use something as a release like pan spray or cornstarch? Or is

making
a positive image not really possible?

/snip

Old March 12th 04, 01:14 PM
roxan

I don't see how you are going to be able to form a gold sheet around your
mold. Even gold will be too hard to make this with unless you have a machine
that can roll the gold very thin and then you can't use gold filled because
it will press the outer gold too thin and the inner core will be copper or
whatever base metal was used to make the gold fill. I think you should
re-think this or you will end up paying a lot of money for gold you can't
use. I don't know off hand how thin you can get the gold you want to use,
but check to see how workable it is before buying it.
Roxan
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Lampworking - need torch advice. BethF Beads 15 January 23rd 05 07:13 AM
SPEAKING OF COPYING BeckiBead Beads 61 March 17th 04 06:31 PM
Art Fair Advice Rebecca Thomas Beads 1 January 22nd 04 03:39 PM
Digital Camera Advice Gennie Beads 8 October 19th 03 08:07 PM
Seeking Kiln Advice saucy Beads 5 August 11th 03 04:18 AM