Miracle Mold

Old July 15th 03, 05:55 PM
Mary Tafoya

Default Miracle Mold

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message .. .
What do you most want to do with the stuff Sooz? I keep seeing it and
saying. .oooooh.. coool stuff.. and I want it.. but what would I do with it?
ooohhhh... hand prints of the wee one .. then I can mold PC into it and make
neat hand prints to put on things.

LOL, Diana, only if you can get the wee one to sit perfectly still
while the mold sets. ;-)

Mary T. 8-)

Aunt Molly's Bead Street
http://www.flash.net/~mjtafoya/
eBay and JustBeads: seriousbeader
Old July 15th 03, 06:01 PM
Mary Tafoya

caneguru wrote in message ...
Thanks for asking. As Marla explained, Miracle Mold is room temperature
vulcanizing. It is not a clay, however, but a rubber product, that is
tolerant of heats up to 650degF. Very easy to use and the detail it
captures is fantastic!

I have a quick question about the Miracle Mold that I dind't find
mention of in your FAQ. With miracle mold and one of the other 2-part
silicone type mix and set mold making products, I sometimes have
trouble with air bubbles appearing on the surface of the mold,
apparently while it's setting. I try to make sure the surface is
clean, but I still get bubbles, always on the smooth surface/open
areas. Any tips on how to minimize this?

Mary T. 8-) ...sorta wondering if altitude and/or temperature has
anything to do w/this?

Old July 16th 03, 02:07 AM
caneguru

Hi Mary! As Diane mentioned, sometimes overmixing can incorporate
bubbles.
Also, sometimes smooth/glassy surfaces can be a bit troublesome to
mold. Super detailed objects generally are no problem to mold, but when
you are doing a smooth/glassy surface, there is just nowhere for those
little airpockets to go. With a detailed object, there are lots of
opportunities for the air to get released.

There is a technique that I really need to photo for my FAQ to describe
what to do in that case. Basically, you *shear* your object into the
Miracle Mold, rather than push it straight in. In other words, you're
trying to push away the excess air that may become trapped in the
mold.

I hope that makes sense. It's easier as a visual.

Also, often you can carefully poke into the airpockets with a needle.
The air escapes and the mold flattens back down. Worth a try, eh?

Hope you're otherwise enjoying your moldmaking.

Cheers!

Linda
Puffinalia.com

Old July 16th 03, 04:56 PM
Sjpolyclay

t's reported that bubbles can be caused by overmixing two-part molding
materials.

also, I found fewer bubbles with the fresh batch--after it sat in my shelf for
six months, the molds I made did have a few tiny bubbles, as opposed to the
first ones which had none. I'm at high altitude, and I mix the MM by hand, not
using the pasta roller. Also, do a final squeeze/impaction of the MM lump
before using it. Press it hard in on itself and onto the work surface to force
out any hiding bubbles.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old July 16th 03, 06:55 PM
Sjpolyclay

Hmmm... using a pasta machine to mix the two parts?? Guess I never thought
of
that 'cause the stuff is so soft to mix.

I think using the machine definately mixes in more bubbles, at least it did in
my one experiment. So I do it by hand only now.

Old July 19th 03, 08:07 AM
caneguru

There is a technique that I really need to photo for my FAQ to describe
what to do in that case. Basically, you *shear* your object into the
Miracle Mold, rather than push it straight in. In other words, you're
trying to push away the excess air that may become trapped in the
mold.

I can picture that. I just can't picture how there would be no
distortion...but I will give it a try.

------------ Well, once you shear your object in, then firm the mold
material around the object. I kind of cup it in my hands and push it
all together to make it conform.

Cheers!

Linda
http://www.puffinalia.com
Old July 21st 03, 05:18 PM
Sjpolyclay

Uhhhh...pasta machine? LOLOL, that was a shocker. I
use these 2 hands here. LOL ;

Me too!!! the pasta machine did NOT work well for MM. But I always try to push
the envelope when using new products. I am very much a "Why?/Why Not?" kind of
person.