Larimar

Old September 3rd 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jose

Default Larimar

Hello .

I´m located in Spain and and wonder why there are so few larimar in the
marke as it used to be. Does anyone know?

Thaks

Old September 4th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Jose wrote:
Hello .

I´m located in Spain and and wonder why there are so few larimar in the
marke as it used to be. Does anyone know?

Thaks

Huh?

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 5th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
o hai

In rec.crafts.jewelry on Wed, 03 Sep 2008 20:47:18 -0700 we were all
privileged to see a message from Abrasha which
dun sed:

Jose wrote:
Hello .
=20
I=B4m located in Spain and and wonder why there are so few larimar in =

the
marke as it used to be. Does anyone know?
=20
Thaks
=20
=20

Huh?

Translation: English isn't my first language but I'm trying.
Translation II: I'm searching for larimar.
Translation III: It's a fairly hard stone, sky blue in color with
white features, found in the Dominican Republic.

Old September 5th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
o hai

In rec.crafts.jewelry on Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:20:28 -0700 we were all
privileged to see a message from "Jose" which
dun sed:

Hello .

I=B4m located in Spain and and wonder why there are so few larimar in th=

marke as it used to be. Does anyone know?

I assume it's because there's a finite supply.

On 22 November 1916 Father Miguel Domingo Fuertes Loren of the
Barahona Parish requested permission at the Dominican Republic's
Ministry of Mining to explore and exploit the mine of a certain blue
rock he had discovered. Since nobody knew what the priest was talking
about the request fell through and the blue stone discovery was
delayed.

It was not until 1974 when at the foot of the Bahoruco Range, the
coastal province of Barahona, a flash of blue in the beach sand caught
the attention of Miguel M=E9ndez and Peace Corps volunteer Norman
Rilling and they scooped down to rediscover larimar. Natives, who
believed the stone came from the sea, called the gem Blue Stone.
Miguel promptly took his young daughter's name Larissa and the Spanish
word for the sea (mar) and formed Larimar, by the colors of the water
of the Caribbean Sea, where it was found. As it turns out, the few
stones they found were alluvial sediment, washed into the sea by the
Bahoruco River. An upstream search revealed the in situ outcrops in
the range and before long the Los Chupaderos mine tapped the only
known larimar outcropping in the world.

Geology

Larimar is a variety of pectolite, or a rock composed largely of
pectolite, an acid silicate hydrate of calcium and sodium. Although
pectolite is found in many locations, none have the unique volcanic
blue coloration of larimar. This blue color, distinct from that of
other pectolites, is the result of cobalt substitution for calcium.

Miocene volcanic rocks, andesites and basalts, erupted within the
limestones of the south coast of the island. These rocks contained
cavities or vugs which were later filled with a variety of minerals
including the blue pectolite. These pectolite cavity fillings are a
secondary occurrence within the volcanic flows, dikes and plugs. When
these rocks erode the pectolite fillings are carried downslope to end
up in the alluvium and the beach gravels. The Bahoruco River carried
the pectolite bearing sediments to the sea. The tumbling action along
the streambed provided the natural polishing to the blue larimar which
makes them stand out in contrast to the dark gravels of the streambed.

Los Chupaderos

The most important outcrop of blue pectolite is located at Los
Chupaderos, in the section of Los Checheses, about 10 kilometers
southwest of the city of Barahona, in the south-western region of the
Dominican Republic. It is a single mountainside now perforated with
approximately 2,000 vertical shafts, surrounded by rainforest
vegetation and deposits of blue-colored mine tailings.

Jewelry

Larimar jewelry is available in the Dominican Republic, and elsewhere
in the Caribbean. Most jewelry produced is set in silver, but high
grade stones are often set in gold.

Quality grading is according to coloration: white is low quality,
volcanic blue high quality. High quality jewelry utilizes stones
between sky-blue and volcanic blue, often in combinations of both.
Greenish colorations are also known but not well regarded, unless the
green is intense. Red colored inclusions in Larimar indicate traces of
iron. It should be noted that pectolites are photosensitive, which
causes the larimar to lose its blue coloration over the years.
Specifications

* Name: Larimar.
* Family: Pectolite.
o Variety of: Pectolite, NaCa2Si3O8(OH), Sodium Calcium
Silicate Hydroxide.
* Composition: Hydrated sodium calcium silicate with manganese.
* Origin: Caribbean
* Hardness: 4.5-5.
* Color: varies between white, light blue, sky blue, green-blue,
and deep blue (aka "volcanic blue")
* Uses: ornamental stone and semi-precious stone.
* Cleavage: perfect in two directions, but not seen in this
compact form.
* Crystal System: triclinic

In the future, anything you want to know about almost anything can be
found he http://www.google.es/
And with fewer smart-asses.

Thaks

Yr wlcom

--=20

Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
Old September 5th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer[_2_]

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:20:28 -0700, "Jose"
wrote:

Hello .

I´m located in Spain and and wonder why there are so few larimar in the
marke as it used to be. Does anyone know?

I'd ask Hans Meevis. He sort of specializes in larimar and should be
familiar with the market.
http://meevis.com/

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
Old September 6th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jose

First at all, I do apologise for my wrong spelling, it´s been long time
since I´didnt writ in English. Probably due to that my question has been
misunderstood. The question is that in Spain at the present is very
difficult to find larimar in the market, ¿does anyone know why?

Thanks to Abrasha, O Hai and Al Balmer for their suggestions.

Old September 6th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:19:08 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Jose"
wrote:

First at all, I do apologise for my wrong spelling, it´s been long time
since I´didnt writ in English. Probably due to that my question has been
misunderstood. The question is that in Spain at the present is very
difficult to find larimar in the market, ¿does anyone know why?

I haven't seen a lot of it offered at gem shows here in the U.S. either, in
recent years. As other posters pointed out, Larimar is unique to just one
source location in the Dominican Republic, so there never has been a lot
available in the first place. So it's quite possible that there simply isn't
much on the market anywhere, if the supply has been exhausted or if mining is
not actively taking place. When Larimar first was offered on the market, it
became initially popular because it was new. But I don't think it ever became
really popular or a good seller either from the public's point of view or with
jewelers. If there is not a large supply, and people who have it for sale
find it doesn't sell all that well, then it's likely that those people might not
make much of an effort to export it to Spain either, if they don't think it will
sell well...

Cheers

Peter
Old September 6th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

"o hai" escribió en el mensaje

[...]

New Era gems shows 1 slab only, however - ebay has quite a few pieces
and parcels for sale.

There may be other rough dealers that have it, but that was after a
quick search. As to whether this is helpful to someone in Spain......

Perhaps there is a way to email the Dominican Republic's 'chamber of
commerce' or other business/export office?

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old September 7th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Maren at google

On Sep 6, 11:14 am, Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Jose wrote:
First at all, I do apologise for my wrong spelling, it=B4s been long ti=

me
since I=B4didnt writ in English. Probably due to that my question has b=

een
misunderstood. The question is that in Spain at the present is very
difficult to find larimar in the market, =BFdoes anyone know why?

Thanks to Abrasha, O Hai and Al Balmer for their suggestions.

"o hai" escribi=F3 en el mensaje
.. .

In rec.crafts.jewelry on Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:20:28 -0700 we were all
privileged to see a message from "Jose" which
dun sed:

Hello .

I=3DB4m located in Spain and and wonder why there are so few larimar i=

n th=3D

marke as it used to be. Does anyone know?

I assume it's because there's a finite supply.

On 22 November 1916 Father Miguel Domingo Fuertes Loren of the
Barahona Parish requested permission at the Dominican Republic's
Ministry of Mining to explore and exploit the mine of a certain blue
rock he had discovered. Since nobody knew what the priest was talking
about the request fell through and the blue stone discovery was
delayed.

It was not until 1974 when at the foot of the Bahoruco Range, the
coastal province of Barahona, a flash of blue in the beach sand caught
the attention of Miguel M=3DE9ndez and Peace Corps volunteer Norman
[...]

I found a few with google searches for (without the quotation
marks, I put those in to delimit the search terms) "larimar price
bead" and "larimar price stone" - a lot of it is finished jewelry,
but if you put in a "-jewelry" you lose all the sites that say "for
jewelry" as well -, and some of them in Europe.

HTH, and aloha,
Maren
HiloBeads: Beads - Beading Supplies - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/