paths & stiles

Old August 19th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Default paths & stiles

Does anyone have a 12" pattern for paths & styles? Quilters Cache and About
only have 9" and I'm not great at enlarging patterns.

Thanks

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old August 19th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Jan -- this one isn't to bad to enlarge at all.

as a 9" block -- each section is 3" finished.

for a 12" block -- they need to be 4" finished. -- so you take the
**FINISHED** size and multiply by 1.33.

The HST blocks are easy to enlarge.

So your half square triangle blocks (your block corners -- need to measure
4" -- so cut your squares at 4 7/8 (I usually do the full extra inch -- then
trim) then draw a diagonal line - and sew on either side -- so each 5"
square (2 fabrics) creates 2 HST blocks.

Your rail-fence-like blocks also need to be 4" finished -- so each section
(finished) would need to be 1 1/3 inch finished -- which is a "strange
measurement. If it were me... I'd probably tweak the block a little and do
the center stripe at 1 1/2" (finished) and the sides at 1 1/4" (finished).
Thus you would cut your "white - based on Quilter's Cache pictures) at 1
3/4" wide and the blue/green at 2"

The center square would be finished 4" -- so cut at 4 1/2"

If you really wanted the rail-fence-like blocks to look like pretty equal
stripes -- then cut each strip at 1 7/8" -- then trim lightly on the sides
after you have sewn the block together. You would need to trim like 1/16
from each side -- so wouldn't be very noticeable at all.

Hope this all makes sense. -- and if my math is wrong -- please someone jump
in and correct me!

--
Kate in MI

Old August 19th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Thanks Kate. It worked perfectly! If you want to see how it turned out here
is the link.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...00641722UMcZnO

Old August 20th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:16:32 -0400, "Boca Jan"
wrote:

Thanks Kate. It worked perfectly! If you want to see how it turned out here
is the link.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...00641722UMcZnO

Nice!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old August 20th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

Oooohh, that's pretty! The print looks like one of my all-time
favorites. I bought about a dozen yards of it in different color-ways
at some point in the past. I'll have to pull some of it out and try
this block. It looks great!

Rita L.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ggollymm