2 Done and Photography Question

Old August 19th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Default Frame for holding quilts to photograph.... 2 Done and PhotographyQuestion

G Putting the top pole through the sleeve would work, if you were only
doing one quilt. But that means taking the top assembly apart to do it
that way. This particular set up uses fittings that are tightened with a
screwdriver. Taking apart and all would be a real pain. When I have DH
ready to help with taking pics, we do a bunch at a time. VBG Need to
set up another day soon, but it is just too hot to do it now.

PVC piping has some fittings that are just slip on friction hold that
would be a lot easier to take off and put on for using the sleeve of the
quilt. (Of course there are also all the quilts that don't have
sleeves..........)

As for storing the 7' lengths of pipe, they stand up very nicely in the
corner of a closet, or you can get fittings to join 2 pipes into a
single length. For taking pictures that would work quite well I should
think. G

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Sandy wrote:
In article , "Pati C."
wrote:

Frame parts I use: 4 pieces of conduit each the same length (about 7'),
2 short pieces of conduit for "feet" at the bottom, 2 right angle
"elbow" pieces to hold the conduit at the top, and 2 "T" joints at the
bottom, to hold the uprights and the "feet" at the bottom.
Essentially I make a big square shape with the feet perpendicular to the
uprights.

You could probably pick up heavyweight pvc pipe and joins to do the same
type of thing. G To hold the quilts in place I use binder clips that
I tie onto the crosspiece with ribbon. That way I can change the quilts
a bit easier. The ribbon allows me to slide the clips a bit and all I
have to do is clamp on the quilt. We have decided that we need
something to hold the sides of the quilts steady, so will add clips on
longer ribbons at the sides. Maybe with some elastic too..... will have
to play with it.

It occurs to me, Pati, that you could also put the top conduit through
the quilt's sleeve instead of using the clamps. Or wouldn't that work?
All in all, your solution looks pretty good, given a place to store 7'
pieces of conduit!

Old August 19th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Default 2 Done and Photography Question

Beautiful quilts, Joan! Sure wish I lived closer to you--would love to take
some of your classes!
I have the same problem with photos so no suggestions. Hopefully will read
something here that will help me, too.

--
Donna in NE La.
"joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2832877...7600567993584/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2832877...7600567993584/
And, does anyone have a set up for holding quilts to be photographed?
I've seen some professional frames in magazines, but I'm looking for a
homemade/cheaper solution. Quilts are too big for husband's arms and
it's too windy in Nebraska to drape them over the fence!

joan