removing black grease?

Old March 7th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default removing black grease?

I brought this all on myself. It is my fault. I have nobody to blame.
I did a 'drop and drag' sort of maneuver from one place to another
without giving Miss Bernina enough slack to comfortably stitch. She reached
down into her innards and ground a filthy, greasy black snarl into my
lovely, pastel blue stitching.
What do you think will clean this disaster? My usual fix-it is peroxide
but that's when the steam iron has a temper tantrum and spits out brown
stuff.
I'm tempted to try Simple Green which is what we use for auto mechanics
grime but that stuff is so phew. Any ideas? Polly

Old March 7th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I use Carbona stain remover (from Joann's with a coupon) Simple Green
can be diluted and used for almost everything. The stuff is wonderful
and hasn't hurt anything I ever used it on but don't tend to use it on
laundry. I have used it in the carpet cleaning machine with excellant
results.
Taria

Old March 7th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ms P

My hubby used to get black grease on his clothes at work and we used
"Greased Lightening" to take it out. I also used it on a grease stain on a
knit top and it took it out. I know I had washed and dried that top at
least 4 times.

You'll find it with cleaners at Walmart.

--
Ms P, Queen of Scissors
http://community.webshots.com/user/MsB_Peacock

Old March 7th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle[_2_]

I was going to propose Simple Green, too. I've used it in laundry when my
husband had grease on his clothes from working on the kids cars. I keep it
around for anything greasy, but, it does smell so I would rinse twice!
Also, at least for grease on hands or under fingernails, Goat Soap is great.
I've seen a couple of different brands, it's soap made with goat's milk.
Good for your skin and really takes the grease off.
Good Luck,
Michelle

Old March 7th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

Having worked for years in a job that got every kind of grease on every
article of clothing I used waterless hand cleaner. Had a 3 lb can of it on
the laundry shelf and would just rub it into a grease spot with a tooth
brush or scrub brush, depending on how large the grease spot was. I'd even
get grease stains all the way through my clothes into my undies. I'd slap a
glob of waterless hand cleaner on and work it in with my fingers. Toss it in
the wash and worked like a charm. No nasty lingering smell either.

I can't stand the smell of Simple Green but I did use it on my *white* dog
who decided to crawl under the car once. Sprayed her down good with it, full
strength, and gave her a bath (per vet's instructions). She came out
sparkling clean but she smelled like Simple Green for weeks. BLECHT!

Val

Old March 7th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

A product called Goop. Try that. After using it, it washes out with soap.
As with any product, try it on a scrap first to make sure it does not leave
anything on the fabric.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
and when you get the chance
to sit it out or dance.......

Old March 7th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

I always had good luck with Lestoil. Can you get anymore of that
grease , put it on fabric and test diff products?

Old March 7th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Aha. There you are giving me the advice I always hand to everybody else.
At first, I thought "Now how in the world could I do that?".
Of course, I can. I'll remove the bobbin case and swipe out the area
with a scrap of the baby blue. That should give me something to experiment
with without harming my sweet little creation.
Thank you. Funny to be given a dose of my own medicine. I reckon I was
just too distressed to think of it. Polly

Old March 7th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

BTDT. Course it was on a brown repro rather than a baby blue pastel ... I
used "Kiss Off" -- which I found at a online sewing store ... I think
Clotilde's. JoAnn's, too, I think, I carries it.

Worked like the proverbial charm. I've even used it to get out nasty greasy
BBQ stains that hubby tried to wash out while on travel (you can never trust
a man to understand the "soak first, wash later" principle -- or just, Hey!
Use a napkin!!) and set in for me to get out later. It's also gotten out
grease/oil stains hubby gets from crawling all over nasty, filthy boats
while on tests/travel.

It's sort of like a bigger, fatter, lipstick tube size ... and it's worth
it's weight in gold in our house!!! It was cheap, too!!!

HTH!!
--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Removing glue gary General Crafting 0 January 2nd 07 05:24 AM
White/Cream with Black scrap request: was: Black, white & cream scraps/charms needed Kathy Applebaum Quilting 1 July 22nd 06 11:48 PM
Removing a Pearl Ralph Gibson Jewelry 9 May 18th 06 04:02 PM
Removing scratches? Chris F. Glass 2 May 16th 06 01:44 AM
hamburger grease sewing4you Sewing 8 June 26th 04 04:55 AM