OT buying a radio

Old October 8th 05, 01:29 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Polly, I recently (six months?) bought a very nice item made by Sony, a
bookcase-type radio/cd/dvd player for my bedroom. It has three units, the
main one and two separable speakers. I don't have TV in my bedroom, but I
have a lot of music and audiobooks and Old-Time Radio shows (mp3 format) on
CD and DVD disks. This little gem plays them all. It has very good sound,
a lighted display and a remote control. The Sony cost a bit more than I
wanted to spend (about $250 at Circuit City) but it has been very good.
Even has a "sleep" mode so I can specify how long it should play as I drift
off to sleep. The sound is very good, and I am quite picky about the sound
of my music.

And if you just want a nice inexpensive radio, check out those boomboxes at
Target and Wal-Mart and Best Buy. Even the smallest ones sound worlds
better than the way we remember them!!! The improvements in sound, coupled
with the incredible drop in prices, means that a $30-$50 boombox-type radio
sounds just as good as one of the spendy units we bought in the 1970s.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
This might not be OT. Many of us think good music is as important to
quilting as good needles and thread. Our last fine old radio went out the
door yesterday with our daughter who has the Katrina damage. She says
they were badly suffering from Merle Haggard Withdrawal Syndrome.
Other than Bose - and I just don't think I need an exquisite radio like
that - have any of you a recommendation for a radio? It's been a very
long time since I bought a radio, well not since our children who are now
grandparents wanted boom boxes. I'm pretty much clueless about who makes
a decent one. Any thoughts? Polly (in a very quiet sewing room)

Old October 8th 05, 03:38 PM
Dixie Sugar

We got a little battery operated Radio Shack radio during the power outage
from Katrina. It picks up really good but is only battery operated. I
guess it kinda brought us luck though because after three days of no power
and no news except when we were in the car, we finally found the little
radio, got home, and the power was on!! Hallelujah! Another night and day
of that heat and DH and I might have killed each other. LOL

DS

Old October 8th 05, 04:26 PM
Taria

I hate to admit this but I carry around an over 30 yo transistor radio.
We collect old radios, consoles and tabletops, tube sets and
transistors. This one plays ok but isn't too pretty. Admittedly I
really only use it to listen to talk radio. Like someone else we have
the satellite channels on the cable tv and that is what we listen to for
music.
The new car has a cd player (there is one in the house but I never much
have used it) I bought myself the ultimate Hank Williams set and
figured out how to work the car player. Anyone else that has to listen
to those cd's is not happy but they are fine to me. Remind me of times
riding in dad's old pickup listening to KFOX radio. Tough to beat those
memories.
Good luck on the shopping Polly.
Taria

Old October 8th 05, 11:01 PM
Sharon Harper

Must have been JJJ.....or John Laws.....Or Alan Jones!!!

quicker)

"Dee in Oz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why are the Australian DJ's wierd ??
Don't suppose you remember what station ?

Just curious

Dee in Oz

Old October 9th 05, 04:16 AM
Polly Esther

Thank you all. I guess I'll get out the smelling salts (in case I have the
vapors) and the crow bar (in case my jaws lock up signing the check) and
just go ahead and bite the bullet. I was hoping someone was going to tell
me that Ikazubimequebii was making something wonderful for $ 1.64. Ah
well. Polly

Old October 9th 05, 04:43 AM
Dee in Oz

Well I don't mind triple J on the few occasions that I listen to the
Radio

We listened to Broken Hill and Mildura stations recently while on
holiday..... pure 70's and 80's ( Howzat by Sherbet....ahhh memories of
schooldays)

Dee in Oz

Old October 9th 05, 08:54 AM
NightMist

On 8 Oct 2005 02:36:50 -0700, "Dee in Oz"
wrote:

Why are the Australian DJ's wierd ??
Don't suppose you remember what station ?

Just curious

Dee in Oz

It is pretty much catch as catch can and what is the upper atmosphere
doing when tuning in Austrailian stations on this side of the globe.

Optimal time seems to be about 5:00 in the morning your time.

The one we seem to get the best (I shall have to make it a point to
QSL them, that way I will remember better the whos and wheres) has two
fellows on at that hour and they are a mite strange. Many kiwi jokes,
many american jokes, they love to pick on movies and Calfornia. They
do seem to sort out the oddest bits of Austrailian news to use in
contrast and also poke fun at the home folks at the same time.
American beer jokes are ubiquitus. Many English members of parliment
vs Austrailian members of parliment jokes. Not much music really but
when there is it is usually rock that I totally do not recognize with
an occasional track by say the Lime Spiders or suchlike. These are
the same guys who some years ago sent somebody around the country to
take shrimp to barbeques (ie the whole shrimp on the barbie thing)
just to be annoying.

Maybe it is not simply Austrailian DJs, but morning show DJs in
general.

NightMist
Not generally morning people, unless you count the morning between
midnight and dawn.
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole

featherweight buying advice Mrsfrz Quilting 5 August 31st 05 03:50 AM
David Keys Speaks on "Stones For Sacred Healing" - The Isle Of Light Internet Radio Show cap22 Beads 0 December 30th 03 04:11 AM
Old Fashioned Radio - chart help Laura K Needlework 0 November 11th 03 09:29 PM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM
Need help with making old radio knob mold Yzordderex Polymer Clay 2 September 10th 03 06:14 PM