New to Socks

Old November 20th 05, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default New to Socks

Katherine wrote:
Welcome, Patti. I am sure that your advice will help some people who have
been afraid to knit socks.

Higs,
Katherine

Now, miss Katherine, that better not be a dig at me!! (but, of course,
it would be entirely fitting if it was! :P )

Crochet socks, on the other hand, I've since figured out and whacked
out two little pairs last week. What I found out was: use yarn YOU
like, not what the wearer would necessarily like best....the socks seem
to know that you like their yarn and they cooperate. Plus don't
eliminate the heel flap before turning smacks self on forehead DOH!.

Michelle

Old November 20th 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Welcome to rcty, Patti! )

Gemini

"Patti Bailey" wrote in message
Hi, New here. I'm Patti.
I just had to say that, first of all I may have learned to knit and
crochet at an early age, however- It was just recently-that with great
yarn as my incentive ..
I bought myself some bamboo dp's and that great sock yarn-and taught
myself how to knit socks.
Not only did I do that one pair but went on to do others and then do
some of my own version of socks and so on.. all in a matter of a few
months.
Only thing I can say is don't give up....
Keep on going and if you are lucky you have great people working at
local yarn shops or craft shops that knit, and know how to use the
dp's / like knitting socks etc and are willing to help you out.

Not that I'm an expert like I said I just taught myself recently but I
did notice that when you go from needle to needle... Make sure you TUG
the yarn a bit tightly to avoid an ugly HOLE at the beginning of the
triangle there that would be near the inner and outer ankle parts of
the socks.
To me this seemed to be the area I hated mostly, but I figured it all
out and learned quickly to tug tug tug when changing from needle
number one to two , from two to three and then back from three to
number one needle.
Lastly, I found that you need to really keep the stitches straight for
the first ROW... It seems to be a bit easier after you hit row number
3... so if you can go slowly through those rows --by the time you hit
3 you will find it so much easier to knit away...

Now all I regret is having to START the next new pair knowing the
first few rows make your eyes tear, make you want to tug the yarn just
to relieve stress.. but than smile and reap the rewards with all those
socks you finish up ...
Ill be checking out the new sock pattern there.. thanks, I'm usually a
reader and non responder

Nice meeting you, take care...
Off to the knitting bag.....

See ya!!

Old November 20th 05, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Patti,
Welcome to the group. Thanks for your sock tips.

Janise

[...]

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:18:44 GMT, "spinninglilac"
posted:

Blueberry Waffle socks are easy and the new sock yarns look great in this
pattern. I particularily like it as it doesn't get too boring
http://www.azhreia.net/socks/waffle.html DK weight or 8ply
or there is
http://www.azhreia.net/socks/fingerwaffles.html fingering or UK 4ply
size...

Cheers...Cher

"Bob & Carol" wrote in message
I have always avoided knitting socks because I REALLY hate DP needles;
however, now the new sock yarns have 'inspired' me. Any suggestions
from
the pros out there on patterns I might be able to 'tolerate'?

Thanks,
Carol

--
Patricia Bailey

If evolution really worked, how
come mothers only have 2 hands?

Old November 20th 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Eastern Edge wrote:
Katherine wrote:
Welcome, Patti. I am sure that your advice will help some people who
have been afraid to knit socks.

Higs,
Katherine

Now, miss Katherine, that better not be a dig at me!! (but, of
course, it would be entirely fitting if it was! :P )

As id I would do something like that! g

Crochet socks, on the other hand, I've since figured out and whacked
out two little pairs last week. What I found out was: use yarn YOU
like, not what the wearer would necessarily like best....the socks
seem to know that you like their yarn and they cooperate. Plus don't
eliminate the heel flap before turning smacks self on forehead DOH!.

LOL I did that a couple of times myself!

Higs,
Katherine

Old November 20th 05, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Patti,

Wow, knitting socks, good for you. Myself, I don't do socks, LOL,
mainly afghans.

I did want to say welcome to this great group and I hope to see you
more often.

Hugs,

Nora

Old November 21st 05, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"The YARNWRIGHT" wrote in
:

Hi, Patti!
Welcome to rcty!
Y'know what I do? I use spring type clothespins to hold
that first couple of rows straight, when they don't
cooperate! JM2C

hey, good idea! i've been known to knit the first row or two,
*then* do the join & start knitting the rounds if the yarn
wants to twist the first row.
lee
Old November 21st 05, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"The YARNWRIGHT" wrote in
:

Hi, Patti!
Welcome to rcty!
Y'know what I do? I use spring type clothespins to hold
that first couple of rows straight, when they don't
cooperate! JM2C

hey, good idea! i've been known to knit the first row or two,
*then* do the join & start knitting the rounds if the yarn
wants to twist the first row.
lee

Lee, I've done ^that^ too, but didn't like the little "leg" from the join
being 'uneven'... so I tried the clothespins and it worked!
Pass it on!
Noreen

About socks Beinchat Yarn 14 June 1st 04 03:08 PM
socks for preschooler? enigma Yarn 7 December 11th 03 08:09 PM
Socks and more socks Cori Yarn 12 October 12th 03 10:49 AM
elasitc (spandex) in socks too tight mike Sewing 3 August 4th 03 06:59 PM