What are scraps ???

Old September 28th 05, 03:55 PM
Heidi from Germany

Default What are scraps ???

Loved the posted sites about scraps and how to use them, but now how
do you define scraps ?
B.e. if I cut fabric of from a FQ or maybe half a yard. Mostly I have
left one big piece of fabric and the remnants of a stripe or remnants
of several stripes. Until now I stored them together. What do you do ?
If you are finished with the block or top you used the fabric for, do
you put all remnants in a scrap box or do you also store the remnants
with the big pieces of fabric ???
Heidi from Germany

http://home.vrweb.de/~hbquilts/
mail: please remove quilt from address
Old September 28th 05, 04:17 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:55:30 +0200, Heidi from Germany
wrote:

Loved the posted sites about scraps and how to use them, but now how
do you define scraps ?
B.e. if I cut fabric of from a FQ or maybe half a yard. Mostly I have
left one big piece of fabric and the remnants of a stripe or remnants
of several stripes. Until now I stored them together. What do you do ?
If you are finished with the block or top you used the fabric for, do
you put all remnants in a scrap box or do you also store the remnants
with the big pieces of fabric ???
Heidi from Germany

I only put things that are FQ or bigger in my stash. I put anything
smaller (pressed neatly) into my scrap box, flat. That way I can just
do a dig through the scrap box for a single block or small project,
and all pieces are ready to be used. I don't cut my scraps to any
particular size, but every once in a while, I do go through the box
and cut 4" charms, or 6" charms, etc. Later, I can make some project
from those 4" or 6" charms.
That's my method. Sometimes the cat tries to help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/cbeebi...8231.859119721

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 28th 05, 04:17 PM
Johanna Gibson

Sorry for the insert!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 28th 05, 04:49 PM
Roberta Zollner

One quilter's scraps are another quilter's stash. Anything big enough to
fold goes back in the stash, and some of my stash pieces are smaller than
FQs. Anything smaller than foldable goes in the Black Hole Scrap Basket,
which never seems to become empty no matter how many quilts I make from it.
(The basket is about 12" across at the top and about 9" tall.) Every project
must use at least one piece from the basket, that's my personal rule :-)
Occasionally, I make a string or crazy pieced quilt just to keep the scrap
population under control. I try to make small blocks out of the basket in
between other projects. Useful for hugs.
Roberta in D

Old September 28th 05, 05:30 PM
Bonnie NJ

I recently made a quilt that had many little 1/2 square triangles clipped
off in the process of making the blocks. I sewed them together and had
enough to make 40 - 4 inch blocks and will use them in a lap quilt. So it
will be a quilt made from 1 1/2 inch triangle scraps!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old September 28th 05, 06:29 PM
Patti

I keep bits between, say, 6" and 12" in my drawer called 'little
pieces'. Anything over 12" goes in with the main fabric.
Anything less than 2" is, I regret, thrown away because I know I will
never use them. I do use pieces between 2" and 6". They are kept in
boxes by colour and accurately cut strips are kept in the almost largest
box.
..
In message , Heidi from
Germany writes
Loved the posted sites about scraps and how to use them, but now how
do you define scraps ?
B.e. if I cut fabric of from a FQ or maybe half a yard. Mostly I have
left one big piece of fabric and the remnants of a stripe or remnants
of several stripes. Until now I stored them together. What do you do ?
If you are finished with the block or top you used the fabric for, do
you put all remnants in a scrap box or do you also store the remnants
with the big pieces of fabric ???
Heidi from Germany

http://home.vrweb.de/~hbquilts/
mail: please remove quilt from address

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 28th 05, 06:34 PM
Jenn/Jalynne

Hey Di....Did you see that??? Another 'Frankenquilt' in the making!!

--
Jenn/Jalynne
quilting, beads, scrapbooking, cross stitch and other 'crafti' obsessions

nk.net...

Old September 28th 05, 07:16 PM
D Curtis

Its a Mini Me!
Diana

Old September 28th 05, 07:27 PM
Krysia Thompson

wrote:

Loved the posted sites about scraps and how to use them, but now how
do you define scraps ?
B.e. if I cut fabric of from a FQ or maybe half a yard. Mostly I have
left one big piece of fabric and the remnants of a stripe or remnants
of several stripes. Until now I stored them together. What do you do ?
If you are finished with the block or top you used the fabric for, do
you put all remnants in a scrap box or do you also store the remnants
with the big pieces of fabric ???
Heidi from Germany

http://home.vrweb.de/~hbquilts/
mail: please remove quilt from address

Tome there is NO definition of scraps but if you have t have one,
maybe leftovers will do

Krysia
K.T. - starannie opakowana
Old September 28th 05, 07:36 PM
Bonnie NJ

Did I copy you, if so, I'm in good company!

--
Bonnie
NJ
"D Curtis" wrote in message
Its a Mini Me!
Diana

Scraps Tamara Quilting 6 October 30th 04 03:20 PM
Free or Cheap Costing Quilt Fabric Scraps Needed Jennifer Wise Quilting 8 June 16th 04 03:44 PM
OK, you've finished the quilt, now what to do with the scraps? Have fun! QUILTKITTY Quilting 12 January 6th 04 05:48 PM
Quilts from Big Bright Scraps? dogmom Quilting 6 October 27th 03 01:15 AM
who likes scraps? Ann Adamson Quilting 15 August 15th 03 04:59 AM