Is this just a tiny bit tacky, or is it just me?

Old March 19th 04, 05:18 AM
meijhana

Default Is this just a tiny bit tacky, or is it just me?

I could be in the minority, but I would feel that you received the price you
asked for it...kinda like going to Goodwill, buying a shirt for $1, then
selling it for $10

the competition thing is a little different, though. It's competing against
you. But then again, if she is saying it's by you, then perhaps someone
will look you up, and more advertising for free....

kindof hard to call, there...

mary

--
"Today is not the beginning of what's to come...
It's a new beginning to what already is."

HandcraftedJewelry.com
http://snipurl.com/45w5
check out my store!
"Deepwood Art" wrote in message
ganews.com...
Hello, hello!

So, this has been kind of nagging at me, and I just wanted
to get some opinions, if you please. Nothing urgent or
life threatening, just one of those, "Hmm..." kind of
things.

Ok, so... Seller A makes, and then sells her item to Buyer
B on auction site C. Buyer B turns around and lists the
item on the same auction site, for an opening bid that is
double the amount she originally paid for the item. And
yes, credit is given to the original artist, so on and so
forth, nothing shady there.

So that's it, that's the whole story.

Now, I understand all about the once-you-pay-for-an-item-
it's-yours-to-do-with-as-you-please thing, that's fine.
But could it not be considered sort of... oh, I don't
know... poor form? for Buyer B to go ahead and list the
item just a few days after purchasing it from Seller A, AND
on the same auction site (where Seller A lists regularly),
AND for double the amount?? Should there not be some sort
of grace period, or unspoken "No Compete" rule that would
remain in effect for [at the very least] a few months?

My husband insists it's not a big deal. I insist I would
be just a tad ticked if I was Seller A. What do you think?

--
Fran
~My eBay, if you'd like to visit: http://snipurl.com/56qt

Old March 19th 04, 05:32 AM
starlia

As my husband would say, "It's nothing personal, it's just business." Fact
is you stated what we all say...once it's paid for it is yours do with as
you please. Obviously the buyer thought it was a great piece and purchased
it for a great price and is looking to make a profit.

Yes it might hurt my feelings and yes I could be ticked. However, business
is business. You can't help how you feel about it though, can you?
Sometimes personal feelings get in the way of business dealings.

Old March 19th 04, 07:06 AM
Kandice Seeber

I would think that after the seller realizes this, they should raise their
prices to that same level. Did the beads actually sell for double the
amount? All's fair in the auction market - I would turn the table on the
buyer if they want to compete with you like that. Plus, be flattered if the
beads are commanding high prices.
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old March 19th 04, 07:37 AM
Christina Peterson

It seems to me that the only "rule" there is, is that you not undersell the
maker, and thus devalue the work.

Doubling the price, though? Ok, but with mixed feelings.

Tina

Old March 19th 04, 03:32 PM
roxan

If you could get $10 for it you would. The point being, is she able to sell
the idem for double the amount. Yes, I can see how you were hurt, but it is
a lesson for you that your things may be worth a lot more then what you were
selling it for. If so raise your prices then this will not happen again. If
you receive what you want for a piece and someone else sells it for a
profit, there is nothing you can do. Being too attached to your work is a
problem for many jewelry artists. This is a business and if you want to sell
your things on an auction you have to know the rules. Getting hurt will not
help you get what you want for your work. Set a price that you are sure is a
good price for the work you did and let it go.

Roxan
"Deepwood Art" wrote in message
ganews.com...
In article ,
says...
I could be in the minority, but I would feel that you received the price

you
asked for it...kinda like going to Goodwill, buying a shirt for $1, then
selling it for $10

Oh yes! But the thing is, would you buy the shirt and then
set up a tent in the Goodwill parking lot and attempt to
sell the same shirt for $10?

the competition thing is a little different, though. It's competing

against
you. But then again, if she is saying it's by you, then perhaps someone
will look you up, and more advertising for free....

Hadn't thought of the advertising angle...

--
Fran
~My eBay, if you'd like to visit:

Old March 19th 04, 09:40 PM
Dr. Sooz

It happens so much that if you wanted it stopped, eBay and other auction sites
would vanish from the face of the earth. It's very common practice.

Now, I understand all about the once-you-pay-for-an-item-
it's-yours-to-do-with-as-you-please thing, that's fine.
But could it not be considered sort of... oh, I don't
know... poor form? for Buyer B to go ahead and list the
item just a few days after purchasing it from Seller A, AND
on the same auction site (where Seller A lists regularly),
AND for double the amount?? Should there not be some sort
of grace period, or unspoken "No Compete" rule that would
remain in effect for [at the very least] a few months?

My husband insists it's not a big deal. I insist I would
be just a tad ticked if I was Seller A. What do you think?

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 19th 04, 09:41 PM
Dr. Sooz

I would think that after the seller realizes this, they should raise their
prices to that same level.

Yeah! Often items sell even better for a higher price, too. (True true true!)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 19th 04, 09:42 PM
Dr. Sooz

Maybe in a way I'd feel flattered (if
the beads had actually sold for double), but in another way
I'd find it just a little brazen on Buyer B's part.

Brazen is how most businesses succeed and flourish. Being shy never helped
anyone make a living!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 19th 04, 09:45 PM
Dr. Sooz

The situation I described, though, just rubbed me wrong
because it was like a slap in the face to the original
seller.

No, just the opposite. It meant they were seen as worthy, and valuable. It
may seem underhanded to you, but it's not. There was nothing dishonest about
it. Credit was given, which is what counts. The original seller could maybe
move her prices up to a middle range, since the beads didn't sell at the higher
price -- but the 2nd seller obviously thought they were worth more than the
original price.

I'm surprised you never noticed this happening before, Fran!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

AD: TINY seed beads Kyla Beads 4 January 16th 04 12:56 AM
98% OT - Did anybody miss me?/patter of tiny (webbed) feet... Helen Page Beads 3 September 22nd 03 05:31 PM
tiny pearls -- stringing & finishing Jennifer Moore Beads 3 August 20th 03 08:47 PM