OT - Pronunciation of words

Old October 11th 05, 05:34 PM
The YarnWright

My uncle, Andy couldn't say aluminum or linoleum unless he WASN'T *thinking*
about it...
LOL
Noreen
(if you *asked* him to say either, and he had to think, then they came out
aluminuminum and linoleuminum...)

"Mystified One" wrote in message
Since I have trouble pronouncing it, I actually say foil wrap.

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
: Just curious, since pronunciations of other words are being discussed in
: another thread... Can someone from England please tell me how you, in
your
: part of the country, pronounce the word ALUMINUM please?
:
: My late mother-in-law (from Ashford Kent) used to say A-lu-MIN-ium. She
is
: the only person I (or my parents) had ever heard pronounce it this way.
The
: first time she said it, we honestly had no clue as to what she was
talking
: about. She kept asking if we had any, and we thought she might have
been
: talking about some sort of medication (like Tylenol for headaches, or
: Pepto-Bismal for stomach problems) that we don't have here in Canada, so
we
: said "No, we don't have that... what is it used for, maybe we have
something
: similar." That was when she said that it is silver coloured and shiny
and
: you cover food with it. The light went on over all of our heads and we
: said almost in unison "Ohhhh, aLUminum foil, yes we have that!" She
became
: very agitated and indignant and said "In England it is pronounced
: A-lu-MIN-ium, and since we speak *proper* English that is the correct
way
of
: saying it, NOT the way you say it here in Canada."
:
: Peace!
: Gemini
:
:

Old October 11th 05, 05:39 PM
MRH

"Mystified One" wrote in message
Since I have trouble pronouncing it, I actually say foil wrap.

LOL Actually, so do I... not because of trouble pronouncing it, but because
it's just faster and easier. ;o)

Peace!
Gemini

Old October 11th 05, 06:12 PM
MRH

I have had a problem with the word "Dalmatian" since I was a very little
girl, which often (I pronounce the "t" in often, by the way) seems to have
an extra "n" in it after the "m", so it comes out like "Dalmnatian"....
instead I say "The SPOTTED dogs!" ROTFL

By the way, I *can* say Dalmatian if I concentrate while saying it. ;o)

Peace!
Gemini

Old October 11th 05, 08:03 PM
Katherine

MRH wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
suzee wrote:
Shillelagh wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message
eenews.net...

Christine in Kent, Garden of England wrote:

Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra*
"i" in the word, we just pronounce all the letters that are
there. Aren't
all our differences what make the world a more interesting place?
Love Christine

Okay, but how come if it's spelled `aluminum' and you pronoun only
those letters, it sound like `aluminium'?

sue

I think you missed the post where she said there is the extra "i"
in their spelling. ALUMINIUM. ;)

Shelagh

Yeah, I saw that later. Just like the English to put extra vowels in
words....

Or Canadians/Americans to remove one - "neighbour/neighbor". I spell
it with the "u".

Katherine

I spell it with the "u" too, Katherine... also coloUr as I said in a
spell these words without the "u" and either way is correct... but
*with* the "u" is the Canadian spelling. )

Eggzackerly!

Katherine

Old October 11th 05, 08:03 PM
Katherine

MRH wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
Sounds like Charles Dickens, who used to get paid by the word.

Katherine

Where can I get a job like that? I tend to be very long-winded when
it comes to writing/typing, and also talking... too bad I don't get
paid by the word, I'd be filthy rich! LOL

I don't know, but if you find out, tell me!

Katherine

Old October 11th 05, 08:04 PM
Katherine

LOL Thanks, Noreen. All those years of teaching primary school finally paid
off!

Hugs,
Katherine

The YarnWright wrote:
Good PHONICS, there, Katherine!
I was trying to think how to write the pronunciation of forecastle..
fok-sil with a long o was all I could think of!
Hugs,
Noreen

He was, and so is my son. But in Newfoundland folklore, the
sea-connected terms are given the navy pronunciation.
As is "forecastle" being pronounced "focs'il". (That is as close as
I can come to spelling that word the way it is pronounced!)

Katherine

The YarnWright wrote:
Righto!
and... didn't you not tell me your father was a navy man???
Hugs,
Noreen

"Katherine" wrote in message
Same in Newfoundland - a fishing province.

Katherine

The YarnWright wrote:
And NAVY terms:
Boatswain is pronounced Bosun,
Cockswain is pronounced Coxun.
JM2C,
Noreen

Yarn Forward wrote:
We many of these in Scotland.. one example being 'Milngavie'
pronounced 'Mulguy'

Or on England (and Canada) , Gloucester pronounced Gloster,
Leicester pronounced Lester, and Towcester pronounced Towster.

"Gunwale" is "gunnel".

Katherine

Old October 11th 05, 08:05 PM
Katherine

MRH wrote:
"Mystified One" wrote in message
Since I have trouble pronouncing it, I actually say foil wrap.

LOL Actually, so do I... not because of trouble pronouncing it, but
because it's just faster and easier. ;o)

I call it "tin foil".

Katherine

Old October 11th 05, 09:14 PM
Katherine

Ophelia wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
MRH wrote:
"Mystified One" wrote in message
Since I have trouble pronouncing it, I actually say foil wrap.

LOL Actually, so do I... not because of trouble pronouncing it, but
because it's just faster and easier. ;o)

I call it "tin foil".

So do I

Great minds!

Katherine