Retail Jewelry Postings

Old April 9th 05, 09:05 AM
ksmith711

Default Retail Jewelry Postings

I manage a location for a jewelry store "chain" and I am looking for a forum
or newsgroup on this news server that I could subscribe to. Something that
is geared tword helpfull information and interaction with people with the
same problems and shared experiences such as I. Any suggestions? I looked
at some of the postings here and have found that you seem to help each other
out when ever someone has a problem or a question. Thats pretty admirable!
I hope to find a forum that would be just as helpfull.

Thank you for your advise in advance.

Old April 9th 05, 09:13 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 01:04:58 -0700, in hõ "ksmith711" wrote:

I manage a location for a jewelry store "chain" and I am looking for a forum
or newsgroup on this news server that I could subscribe to. Something that
is geared tword helpfull information and interaction with people with the
same problems and shared experiences such as I. Any suggestions? I looked
at some of the postings here and have found that you seem to help each other
out when ever someone has a problem or a question. Thats pretty admirable!
I hope to find a forum that would be just as helpfull.

Thank you for your advise in advance.

rec.crafts.jewelry is the primary usenet newsgroup devoted to the general area of
jewelry. It's a moderated, non-commercial newsgroup which means both that posts get
reviewed by the moderator (me) before appearing in the news servers, which intruduces a
bit of a time lag, but also that spam is generally eliminated. The non-commercial part
means that most advertising of things like jewelry for sale, is prohibited. Postings
relating to general business aspects of the jewelry industry are welcomed, in addition
to the primary subject area of the craft of making jewelry. So this newsgroup is
available for the types of subject matter you're suggesting, and some percentage of the
readers of this group will also be in the same sort of business as you, and may well be
interested in the conversation of such things.

While there are a number of smaller volume privately owned forums and web based
discussions about jewelry or the industry, by FAR the largest such group is the Orchid
mailing list. That list has many thousands of active subscribers, in all areas of the
jewelry industry and craft, including everything (as this newsgroup does also) from
individual craftspeople, either professionals or hobbyists, to lapidary artists, to
retail jewelry store owners and managers, and everything in between. Daily volume of
messages runs in the area of perhaps 50 messages a day. You can get them either
individually or as a single daily "digest" posting, or you can read them on the lists
web site. You do that, as well as subscribing to the list, at the www.Ganoksin.com web
site.

Hope that's of use.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry
Old April 12th 05, 04:15 PM
ksmith711

Thank you for the adice, Mr. Rowe...I will try them out. I would possibly
like to post here, too, if that is ok.

wrote:

I manage a location for a jewelry store "chain" and I am looking for a

forum
or newsgroup on this news server that I could subscribe to. Something

that
is geared tword helpfull information and interaction with people with

the
same problems and shared experiences such as I.

[snip]
Old April 12th 05, 04:16 PM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:15:07 -0700, in ?? "ksmith711" wrote:

Thank you for the adice, Mr. Rowe...I will try them out. I would possibly
like to post here, too, if that is ok.

Of course, so long as the non-commercial (no commercial advertising) aspect of the group
is respected.

PWR
Old April 18th 05, 04:10 AM

A new forum that is out www.buyingadiamond.com It consists mainly
of jewelry professionals who want to assist consumers Nice friendly
environment to chat in.

Old April 26th 05, 03:45 AM
joharra

Well, I don't if owning and operating booths at 3 different ren fairs
qualifies, but if it's issues of stock management, loss prevention,
staffing, etc.... All I can do is share how I have delt with some of
these and other daily chores of running a retail jewelery shop. Or, we
can share horror stories. Which, I know pretty much everyone here can
relate to. LOL. And laughing is the better option, becuase as my
daughter says, she really hates customers, but they pay the bills. No,
I don't hate all of them, but some really can try the patience of a
Saint. And I am most certainly not a Saint.

But share away, or vent, or ask questions. We all have to have
someone/where to bounce off ideas, problems, or just too amazing for
reality stories.

My two cents, which given the current market, may not be worth very
much at all.

AJ
the Royal Exchange Jewelers