Thread for beaded flowers

Old August 13th 03, 05:54 AM
mĒdcĒt

Default Thread for beaded flowers

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:07:34 GMT, Ken Knecht
wrote:

What thread is good to use around the metal stalks and bases of
beaded flowers? I looked in Michael's and the only thing I saw
that looked about right was a nice fairly wide (1/8 "?) flat silk
thread at $1.75 for three yards. Too much $$$ for my blood
considering how much I'd probably need. Everything else was
thread that was woven from finer threads which I didn't think
would look right.

I presume that you're talking about something to cover the wire to
make it actually look plant-like?

I'm strictly a beginner, but have you looked at florist's tape?

It's a roll of plastic-looking tape, which you can stretch to make
thinner. It's self-adhesive (adheres to itself), and has a kind of
waxy texture and property such that you can smooth it down along the
stem wire and sort of "sculpt" it.

I've only found mid-green locally (Oz), but I'm sure you can get
different colours from the WWW.

There was a website that sold supplies specifically for beaded
flowers, but I can't find the link. I've also never bought from them,
so I don't know what the service is like...

You might like to check these sites out though:

http://www.beadedflowerpatterns.com/
http://www.beadworkbycaren.com/beadf...ed_flowers.cfm

Old August 13th 03, 06:05 AM
mĒdcĒt

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:54:17 +1000, mĒdcĒt wrote:

I'm strictly a beginner, but have you looked at florist's tape?

It's a roll of plastic-looking tape, which you can stretch to make
thinner. It's self-adhesive (adheres to itself), and has a kind of
waxy texture and property such that you can smooth it down along the
stem wire and sort of "sculpt" it.

I've only found mid-green locally (Oz), but I'm sure you can get
different colours from the WWW.

There was a website that sold supplies specifically for beaded
flowers, but I can't find the link. I've also never bought from them,
so I don't know what the service is like...

Florists tape:

http://www.beadedgarden.com/catpage.cfm?Cat_Selected=4
Old August 18th 03, 01:54 PM

wrote:

What thread is good to use around the metal stalks and bases of
beaded flowers?

Traditionally flat silk floss is used. You can find some at my Web
site at:
http://www.beadedgarden.com/prodpage...ct_Selected=19

I use floral tape for most flowers and wrap the silk over the floral
tape.

--Caren
http://www.BeadedGarden.com
Kits, Patterns, Books and Supplies for Beaded Flowers
877-570-4515 (toll free)