blocking/washing?

Old April 5th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Default blocking/washing?

myswendy wrote:
Ok guys, I'm a little bit confused now!

I just went to doublecheck--the yarn I used for the sweater is Patons
Beehive Baby and is 100% acrylic. So washing in Dawn, rolling in a
towel, and laying flat to dry is correct for this tiny garment?

You can actually throw acrylic in the washer and dryer and it behaves
wonderfully.

sue
Old April 5th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Carey N.

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Never, EVER ever use Woollite on real wool, OMG!
Noreen

Noreen,
Since I haven't been knitting with wool, this is a non-issue for me, but
wasn't Woollite supposed to be for washing wool items by hand? If so, why
do you say not to use it on real wool? Just curious.....
--
Carey in MA

Old April 5th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Arlene

Hi,

I'm not Noreen, but years ago the woolite company was bought by Clorox,
so it has some bleach in it.

Arlene

Old April 5th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

arlene spun a FINE 'yarn':

Carey N. wrote:
"YarnWright" wrote in message
Never, EVER ever use Woollite on real wool, OMG!
Noreen

Noreen,
Since I haven't been knitting with wool, this is a non-issue for
me, but wasn't Woollite supposed to be for washing wool items by
hand? If so, why do you say not to use it on real wool? Just
curious.....
--
Carey in MA

---
avast! AV: Inbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000730-4, 04/05/2007
Tested: 4/5/2007 4:19:55 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

end quoted

Thanks, Arlene, I didn't see Carey's Q until now, but see you've
already answered her!
Appreciate the jump in!
Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com

Old April 5th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Carey N. spun a FINE 'yarn':

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Never, EVER ever use Woollite on real wool, OMG!
Noreen

Noreen,
Since I haven't been knitting with wool, this is a non-issue for me,
but wasn't Woollite supposed to be for washing wool items by hand?
If so, why do you say not to use it on real wool? Just curious.....

end quoted

Carey, I see Arlene already responded, but will expound on her reply.
Years ago, it WAS originally formulated to wash woolens, in that, you
are correct, however, I believe it was the mid-seventies or early
eighties when, as Arelen stated, the Clorox BLEACH company purchased
Woollite, and changed the formula.
I would ONLY use Woollite now on synthetics, and even then, I'd be
extremely careful. *(I DO like the smell of woollite, tho, grin)*
Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com
http://yarnwright.com
http://noreensknitche.com
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us
http://optional-knitting.com
http://yarnscapes.com
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000730-4, 04/05/2007
Tested: 4/5/2007 4:26:10 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old April 5th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

YarnWright spun a FINE 'yarn':

Carey N. spun a FINE 'yarn':

[...]

Apologies, ARLENE, there was a TYPO in my response to Carey, and I
unintentionally misspelled your name.
mea culpa,
Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com
http://yarnwright.com
http://noreensknitche.com
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us
http://optional-knitting.com
http://yarnscapes.com
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000730-4, 04/05/2007
Tested: 4/5/2007 4:29:49 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old April 6th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Carey N.

Arlene,
Thanks for the information.
Too bad they messed with a good thing, though that's usually how it goes.
Happy knitting!
--
Carey in MA

Old April 6th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Carey N.

[...]

I don't think I've ever smelled Woollite; maybe I should open a bottle in
the store some time and see if I like the smell for my acryllic sweaters.
You really would think that if Clorox bought out Woollite, they must have
thought there was something to contend with their products that they didn't
have at the time, and would have wanted to keep it in their shop. Why do
people always mess with a good thing, I wonder? Kind of like Coke and New
Coke: at least they were smart enough to change it back, though!
--
Carey in MA

Old April 6th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Tara D spun a FINE 'yarn':

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 23:03:05 GMT, "Carey N."
wrote:

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Carey N. spun a FINE 'yarn':

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Never, EVER ever use Woollite on real wool, OMG!
Noreen

Noreen,
Since I haven't been knitting with wool, this is a non-issue for

me, but wasn't Woollite supposed to be for washing wool items by
hand? If so, why do you say not to use it on real wool? Just
curious..... end quoted

[...]

Clorox hasn't owned Woolite in decades. It's currently owned by
Reckitt Benckiser (formerly Reckitt-Colman), and has been since the
early 90s.

Tara

end quoted
But, Tara, it's STILL not good for washing woolens....
Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com
http://yarnwright.com
http://noreensknitche.com
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us
http://optional-knitting.com
http://yarnscapes.com
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000730-4, 04/05/2007
Tested: 4/5/2007 9:22:59 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Blocking Question hesira Yarn 6 April 21st 06 03:40 AM
Blocking Wooly Yarn 9 January 23rd 06 09:04 PM
blocking a quilt Dr.Quilter Quilting 0 July 12th 04 03:57 PM
Blocking Laura Yarn 7 April 3rd 04 09:40 PM
blocking SlinkyToy Yarn 3 September 9th 03 03:42 PM