buttons?

Old April 10th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cindy

Default buttons?

Hi there--
I'm a glass maker [and a newly-minted knitter, hooray!]. I've started
to make glass buttons and am wondering if anyone has ideas about where
to market them, and more importantly, what're considered the marks of
a quality button--short shank, long shank, drilled holes, glued
shanks, glass shanks....I really have no idea. I've started working
with a spinner/dyer in my area to create matching buttons and yarn for
a local shop. I'd like to do this in the best possible way...I
treasure the idea that 30 years from now someone will be getting a
beautiful "hand-me-down" angora sweater with sparkling glass
buttons.....
Cindy

Old April 10th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

As a maker of polymer clay buttons, I asked this question of knitters a few
years ago. Part of the answer is, it depends on the fabric. For bulky knits
you need big buttons, maybe with shanks. For fine fabrics, you may not need
a shank at all, and may want a much smaller button.

HTH,
Georgia
www.georgiamorgan.net

ps.com...

Old April 10th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Cindy" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi there--
I'm a glass maker [and a newly-minted knitter, hooray!]. I've started
to make glass buttons and am wondering if anyone has ideas about where
to market them, and more importantly, what're considered the marks of
a quality button--short shank, long shank, drilled holes, glued
shanks, glass shanks....I really have no idea. I've started working
with a spinner/dyer in my area to create matching buttons and yarn for
a local shop. I'd like to do this in the best possible way...I
treasure the idea that 30 years from now someone will be getting a
beautiful "hand-me-down" angora sweater with sparkling glass
buttons.....
Cindy

I have lots of glass buttons because I can't bear to throw anything away.
They were mostly those my mother (now 96) collected. YES, I'm that old.

Most don't have shanks, just two holes, a few have integral shanks. None is
coloured. All, I think, are moulded rather than cut.

I suspect that different applications demand different types.

Mary

Old April 11th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cece

On 10 abr, 13:40, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Cindy" wrote in message

[...]

- Ocultar texto de la cita -

- Mostrar texto de la cita -

For knitted garments:

I like a little shank, not too long, that permits the button bands to
lie one on top of the other with no pulling of the lower one or
strenuous forcing of the upper one.

I like a button small enough that it does not extend beyond the edges
of the button band, but large enough that I need a bigger buttonhole
than a yarnover space, which has a tendency to get lost in the fabric.

Getting product into physical stores is difficult. E-sales is
probably your best bet to start -- eBay, or your very own website. Of
course, selling includes lots and lots of finicky rules, regulations,
and laws -- talk to your accountant, who will probably know about all
of them.

Cece

Buttons....even quilty buttons Sunny Quilting 4 November 5th 06 12:06 AM
Mary E buttons and Daisy Kingdom buttons for sale carol Marketplace 0 March 17th 06 09:29 AM
Mary E buttons and Daisy Kingdom buttons carol Quilting 0 March 17th 06 01:00 AM
looking for buttons Don/Gen Quilting 2 January 8th 04 08:10 AM
Buttons Goldie Sewing 0 October 12th 03 11:26 PM