Chatelaine pattern material substitution?

Old April 29th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Chatelaine pattern material substitution?

I purchased the pattern and materials for Chatelaine's Egyptian
Gardens Mandala (beware - the threads and beads are very, very
expensive), and thought - why don't I see how they show against some
evenly woven silk material I have? SO - I tried them out on a pale
tan material. They, of course, looked absolutely fabulous.

Now - how to work a design intended for 32-count material on a
"regular" fabric? Just to make it even more fun, some parts of the
pattern are over-one.

The only thing I can think of is creating or finding a ruler that is
32-count. Except, I suspect I'll have more luck finding one at
16-count, and even then it won't be terribly precise.

Ideas, anyone?

TIA, as I wonder about my sanity sometimes........

Old April 29th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

For your sanity's sake, I would suggest you get yourself some very pale
32 count silk/linen and forget the fabric you already have.

Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old April 29th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

fran wrote:
I purchased the pattern and materials for Chatelaine's Egyptian
Gardens Mandala (beware - the threads and beads are very, very
expensive), and thought - why don't I see how they show against some
evenly woven silk material I have? SO - I tried them out on a pale
tan material. They, of course, looked absolutely fabulous.

Now - how to work a design intended for 32-count material on a
"regular" fabric? Just to make it even more fun, some parts of the
pattern are over-one.

The only thing I can think of is creating or finding a ruler that is
32-count. Except, I suspect I'll have more luck finding one at
16-count, and even then it won't be terribly precise.

Do you suppose waste canvas would work and does it come in 16 count?
Dora

Old April 29th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

fran wrote:

I purchased the pattern and materials for Chatelaine's Egyptian
Gardens Mandala (beware - the threads and beads are very, very
expensive), and thought - why don't I see how they show against some
evenly woven silk material I have? SO - I tried them out on a pale
tan material. They, of course, looked absolutely fabulous.

Now - how to work a design intended for 32-count material on a
"regular" fabric? Just to make it even more fun, some parts of the
pattern are over-one.

The only thing I can think of is creating or finding a ruler that is
32-count. Except, I suspect I'll have more luck finding one at
16-count, and even then it won't be terribly precise.

Ideas, anyone?

Do you have any 32 ct in any color? You could use that as waste
canvas, and pull it out when you're done.

Trying to do 'over one' on 16ct waste canvas would be a pain, I would
think.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Oriental Butterfly, Floral Sampler, Rose Trio, Carousel (TW)
Old April 29th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:45:25 GMT, fran
wrote:

I purchased the pattern and materials for Chatelaine's Egyptian
Gardens Mandala (beware - the threads and beads are very, very
expensive), and thought - why don't I see how they show against some
evenly woven silk material I have? SO - I tried them out on a pale
tan material. They, of course, looked absolutely fabulous.

Now - how to work a design intended for 32-count material on a
"regular" fabric? Just to make it even more fun, some parts of the
pattern are over-one.

The only thing I can think of is creating or finding a ruler that is
32-count. Except, I suspect I'll have more luck finding one at
16-count, and even then it won't be terribly precise.

Ideas, anyone?

TIA, as I wonder about my sanity sometimes........

My advice is don't even try it. I just finished a large Chatelaine
yesterday (Alhambra Garden), and IMO you will be driven mad trying to
stitch it on "regular" fabric. Take a piece of your fabric for color,
or match it to DMC and get a nice piece of linen or evenweave. There
are lots of different "tans" available and it will make your stitching
much more enjoyable.

Sara
Old April 29th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:06:56 -0500, Skyhooks
wrote:

But, but, but, 32-count "is" a regular fabric G.

It's by far MUCH easier to convert a pattern from 16-count fabric to
32-count than it is the other way around, particularly if the original
chart uses "over-one" stitching for 32-count. If converting over-one
stitching from 32-count to 16-count, then each (square) set of four
single stitches (on 32-count) has to be converted to one single cross
stitch on 16-count -- not a very easy task, particulary since partial
cross-stitches will most likely result (after conversion).

Another point to be concerned about is the beads. Do the beads used
with the original pattern specifically fit 16/32 count fabric? If so,
the beads probably won't fit if a different count of ground fabric is
used (11, 14, 15, 18, 22, 25, 28, 35, 40 etc.). Of course, the beads
can be converted too (most of the time???). If seed beads are used on
32-count fabric, then perhaps larger "regular" beads can be used instead
for 16-count fabric? As a suggestion, it might be a good idea to make a
test swatch????

Good luck.

Sky

P.S. Use the color of your choice for the fabric, regardless of its
count.

Helen, Chatelaine designs can be seen at www.europeancrossstitch.com,
and www.chatelaine.net (I think that's right).

Commence drooling.

Sara
Old April 29th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Here's the chart for those that are interested

http://chatelaine-design.de/newweb/c...etail.pl?egypt

And her index page

http://chatelaine-design.de/newweb/

She also has a newsletter
http://chatelaine-design.de/newweb/newsletter.html

Cheryl

Old April 29th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jenn Ridley wrote:
.... Do you have any 32 ct in any color? You could use that as waste
canvas, and pull it out when you're done.

Trying to do 'over one' on 16ct waste canvas would be a pain, I would
think.

jenn

Over "one" on waste canvas isn't that difficult because it is a
"double thread" type fabric -- two threads sitting right next to each
other woven in both directions. You have to "scooch" the threads apart
so that they are evenly spaced in the area that you want to stitch over
one. Of course, if you aren't used to doing this, it's a royal P.I.T.A.
and a 32 count even weave fabric would likely be easier to use when
stitching over one and over two in the same design. CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old April 29th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Sara. I had tried the ".com" version and didn't have any luck.
I never figured to try ".net" to the end of chatelaine. Martina's
designs are definitely something to drool about g. Thanks for the
website address.

Sky