Traveling with Projects

Old February 19th 05, 03:57 PM
Kim McAnnally

Default Traveling with Projects

Ok, so what kinds of projects have you taken when you travel? I'm planning
on taking a Floba Shoulder Bag and the pattern to stitch a Cat and maybe
some beaded flowers or a dragonfly on it too. Can't make up my mind what to
bead, but I must add beads! LOL
Kim
--
New! Wearable Stitching Accessories
www.kims-stitchingshop.com/Jewelry.htm

and New Pincushions!
www.kims-stitchingshop.com/Pincushions.htm

Old February 19th 05, 05:45 PM
jules

I tend to take my smaller projects with me, just because they are
easier to keep clean. On vacation this year I took a crewel robin on
damask tapestry (almost upholstery weight) fabric. Lately it's been a
tooth fairy needlepoint pillow for my nephew!
Julie

Old February 19th 05, 07:43 PM
bungadora

I usually take knitting, because good lighting is sometimes hard to
come by. My best travelling project is a counterpane which involves
making the same square over and over again. I make fewer mistakes and
so I don't get cranky. It is also a very compact. One ball of knitting
cotton keeps me going for an entire week.
Dora
See WIP album @ http://www.Picturetrail.com/bungadora

Old February 19th 05, 08:08 PM
Brenda

Bookmarks and baby bibs work well. Things that don't require a lot of
color changes are good too. Blackwork, klosters, and edging fit this
description. Are you planning to stitch in transit or only at your
destination? Beads can be awkward to work with in a moving vehicle
although I used to ride the commuter bus with a beadworker (she had long
hands like a basketball player which helped) who always had a project in
hand. If you are stitching only after you get to your destination, you
are limited only by how much stash room you have in your luggage and
your willingness to accept the possible loss or soiling of the item(s)
during travel. Anything that can't be washed should be left at home.

Kim McAnnally wrote:
Ok, so what kinds of projects have you taken when you travel? I'm planning
on taking a Floba Shoulder Bag and the pattern to stitch a Cat and maybe
some beaded flowers or a dragonfly on it too. Can't make up my mind what to
bead, but I must add beads! LOL
Kim

--
Brenda
who used to travel for work and still takes some projects on vacation
Old February 19th 05, 11:00 PM
Jenn Liace

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:57:25 GMT, "Kim McAnnally"
wrote:

Ok, so what kinds of projects have you taken when you travel? I'm planning
on taking a Floba Shoulder Bag and the pattern to stitch a Cat and maybe
some beaded flowers or a dragonfly on it too. Can't make up my mind what to
bead, but I must add beads! LOL

Depends on your definition of travel =)

I commute via public transportation 5 days a week, and I typically
have a Just Nan sampler or another similarly sized piece with me. I
always save my beading for the end on samplers, so I don't have to
worry about beads on a bouncing train.

As far as weekend getaways or vacations, it depended largely on how
long I'd be gone, what the purpose of the trip was, and how I was
traveling. I've taken as little as a commute piece or as large as 15
inches square with my floor stand.

Jenn L.
--
http://home.comcast.net/~sewunicorn/
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

Current projects:
Terry's Garden (Lesa Steele Designs)
Nordic Needle Rose (Silver Lining)
Starry Night (Vincent van Gogh via Cross Stitch Collectibles)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Weight loss to date: 18.5 lbs
Old February 19th 05, 11:10 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Jenn Liace had some very interesting
things to say about Traveling with Projects:

I commute via public transportation 5 days a week, and I typically
have a Just Nan sampler or another similarly sized piece with me. I
always save my beading for the end on samplers, so I don't have to
worry about beads on a bouncing train.

How do you manage to do needlework on/in a moving vehicle? I can't hit
the holes with the needle, even on 7-mesh plastic canvas :-).

I spend a lot of time commuting by bus/train myself and would like to
be able to work on smaller projects during that interval, especially
since I have a slew of baby gifts coming up (friends at church).

Old February 20th 05, 01:05 AM
Jenn Liace

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:10:35 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

Jenn Liace had some very interesting
things to say about Traveling with Projects:

I commute via public transportation 5 days a week, and I typically
have a Just Nan sampler or another similarly sized piece with me. I
always save my beading for the end on samplers, so I don't have to
worry about beads on a bouncing train.

How do you manage to do needlework on/in a moving vehicle? I can't hit
the holes with the needle, even on 7-mesh plastic canvas :-).

I spend a lot of time commuting by bus/train myself and would like to
be able to work on smaller projects during that interval, especially
since I have a slew of baby gifts coming up (friends at church).

I guess I'm just used to it, Seanette. My train doesn't bump too
badly for the most part and I seem to have learned the rough spots
enough to subconsciously know when to pause. I do stitch a bit slower
when I'm moving than when I'm at home, that's probably how I
compensate for vehicular activity and avoid the frog.

I typically don't stitch on the bus, though, partly because it's a
very short ride in comparison (less than 10 minutes from train station
to office) and partly because Chicago bus drivers are insane. Of
course, Chicago cabbies are insane too, so maybe it's simply
contagious. wink

Jenn L.

Old February 20th 05, 04:02 AM
Seanette Blaylock

[...]

Our trains can be a little bumpy, and then there's that side-to-side
swaying thing. ;-)

I typically don't stitch on the bus, though, partly because it's a
very short ride in comparison (less than 10 minutes from train station
to office) and partly because Chicago bus drivers are insane. Of
course, Chicago cabbies are insane too, so maybe it's simply
contagious. wink

The bus drivers here seem pretty sane, but maybe that's by comparison
to the car drivers. :-)

Old February 20th 05, 12:50 PM
Ausxser

I take whatever I am working on.....I am always the driver so I cannot
stitch en route......my stitching is almost always the major part of my
luggage!

Blessings
Tannia
"Kim McAnnally" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ok, so what kinds of projects have you taken when you travel?

Old February 20th 05, 02:09 PM
Kim McAnnally

Practice! I couldn't do it either at first. I don't do it very often, and
crochet is easier than xstitch, but it can be done. I won't be beading in
the car, (although I have done that before!) just stitching. I'll save the
beading for when we get to our destination (just a getaway for myself and
DH). I have a feeling once the floba bag and pattern book come in, I won't
be able to keep myself from taking it with me! LOL
Kim
--
New! Wearable Stitching Accessories
www.kims-stitchingshop.com/Jewelry.htm

and New Pincushions!
www.kims-stitchingshop.com/Pincushions.htm

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
Jenn Liace had some very interesting
things to say about Traveling with Projects:

I commute via public transportation 5 days a week, and I typically
have a Just Nan sampler or another similarly sized piece with me. I
always save my beading for the end on samplers, so I don't have to
worry about beads on a bouncing train.

How do you manage to do needlework on/in a moving vehicle? I can't hit
the holes with the needle, even on 7-mesh plastic canvas :-).

I spend a lot of time commuting by bus/train myself and would like to
be able to work on smaller projects during that interval, especially
since I have a slew of baby gifts coming up (friends at church).

January Finished Projects Craftkitten (Darlene) Yarn 29 February 7th 05 10:21 PM
UFOs/WIPs and other projects Pati Cook Quilting 41 January 18th 05 06:36 PM
Unfinished projects -> finished projects Elsa Yarn 2 December 22nd 03 06:02 PM
Easy Projects Mpchet Pottery 6 December 13th 03 03:11 PM
A post in Nora's absence: regarding recent project(s) Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 1 August 16th 03 05:22 PM