It's about time...

Old February 4th 04, 08:24 PM
LUSNMYMIND

Me too, me too! My husband is the PA announcer for the Washington CAPS so
guess I have to be a fan!

I am completely addicted. The more fights the better...
(LOL!)

More LOL - I'd guess we know your DH, then. Certainly we hear him, plenty!

ellice

Oh my gosh! How funny! Darn, I wish I lived in Washington! No fair.

Welcome! Dontcha love those irresistable testosterone filled enforcers? I like
the small ones that play as big as the big ones do. I just cringe and close one
eye during the fights, though I hate to see any really get hurt.

Post often!
Rhonda
Old February 5th 04, 06:13 AM
Ellice

On 2/4/04 3:24 PM,"LUSNMYMIND" posted:

Me too, me too! My husband is the PA announcer for the Washington CAPS so

guess I have to be a fan!

I am completely addicted. The more fights the better...
(LOL!)

More LOL - I'd guess we know your DH, then. Certainly we hear him, plenty!

ellice

Note - it wasn't me with the fight note! I only really enjoy them when no
one gets hurt, we can lip read some hysterical language, or it's me and some
other fool on skates! Or it's some kids trying real hard to fight, and me &
my pals in stripes get to break 'em up - what fun (sometimes really,
sometimes not).

Oh my gosh! How funny! Darn, I wish I lived in Washington! No fair.

Yeah, well - but it'd be harder to have the horse ;^) And you'd have to
suffer our traffic - but we'd love to have you here. More hockey fans is a
good thing.

Welcome! Dontcha love those irresistable testosterone filled enforcers? I like
the small ones that play as big as the big ones do. I just cringe and close
one
eye during the fights, though I hate to see any really get hurt.

Exactly. But, you have to love guys who play with lots of heart. One of our
friends on the team was traded this year, and we were sorry to see him
leave, but he's an awesome guy, with great loyalty, and always laying it out
there, and he's doing really well where he landed (with another friend of
ours, so....) Of course, this is where I remind you I'm married to a goalie
- and for whatever indefinable reason - there's something really that gets
my, er, ummmm, senses up when he's all game face, and playing. He still
plays goal in an upper level men's league, but skates out (used to be with
me) in an intermediate level -with some friends (he's trying to help them
out). There is indeed something very, I don't know, alluring, fascinating,
or just plain sexy with most of the hockey players I know. And it's always
nice when I see one of the guys I used to hang-out with, and haven't seen
for a while - they're really nice - particularly compared with other
pro-athletes. Kind of fun - getting the hugs, kisses - DH does the "hi, how
ya' doing thing" and the girlfriend of the day looks "who's the redhead" -
but it's fun. Just saw some old friends (ex-CAPs, ex-Wings) last night -
it's flattering to be remembered after a year or whatever. DH just shakes
his head - but hockey world here in Washington is still pretty darn small.

Best fight, or knock-out - when we used to skate out together - and some big
guy kept whacking me in the head (6'3" vs 5'6 1/2" - without skates) .The
big guy was such an ass - I finally yelled something like "hey, d**khead,
let it go - #$% what the f*** is wrong with you. The guy - as he skates away
says "hey sweetheart - bring it on - making the 2 hands street fight invite
gesture. When I got off - DH who was coming on said "what the heck were you
yapping about" and the bench, and I told him the guy had hit me - in the
head at least 3 times. Sometime later in the game - that guy is going back
to get a puck dumped in - DH makes a diagonal beeline - from about the
red-line - to the hash marks - and decks him. More like plants him -smush -
into the glass - the guy just slides down the glass onto the ice - DH just
continues the loop back around the rink - directly to the box. The idiot
gets up and is skating hard after DH - swinging his stick at him -but DH
skates fast - and we all yelled warning, and one of the refs caught him. Of
course, being a stupid big guy - 20 secs into their Power Play - this fool
2-hands one of our forwards on the kill - right behind the knees.
Fortunately no injury. And then we scored. Several guys from another team we
knew were watching, and said that one of them ran to their locker room "Hey,
blank just creamed that yahoo on the Vikings - with imitations" At the end
of the game - the Cs have to sign the score sheet, and their captain and I
were chatting - she says - how come that big D-man of yours took out #23? I
said - first - is he always such an ass? She said, Yeah, it's a problem. I
said, well, first - 23 was hitting me in the head, and then wanted to fight
- and, well, the locals (we were in a tourney) know that the big D-man and I
- well, we live together. She said - Oh - well that explains it - we just
thought he was your D partner.

Come visit Rhonda - if you come with Cheryl, we'll make it a hockey visit
;^)

ellice

Old February 5th 04, 06:16 AM
Ellice

On 2/4/04 10:25 PM,"Addie" posted:

But the fights are often some of the best parts. Around here, we get junior
hockey and some of the games are snoozers until a fight breaks out.

Addie

The good thing for Juniors and pros - they only get the 5, don't get tossed.
In the rest of youth, or adults - a fight gets you 5 and a game - so you're
gone. Some of the best youth games - the really good 19 & Under girls -
awesome skaters, lots of contact, pushing, shoving, a little punching - but
great skill!

It's better to just get a couple of whacks in (and yes, I'm not proud of it,
but have been in a couple - usually you feel stupid after - but glad you
took care of something. I cannot tell you what a shock it is to have some
ass just punch you right in the boobs - whack - that'll get a response -
shoulder/chest pads notwithstanding).

ellice

Old February 6th 04, 06:51 PM
LUSNMYMIND

Note - it wasn't me with the fight note

Oops, sorry Ellice, I apologize for not attributing who said what.

where I remind you I'm married to a goalie
- and for whatever indefinable reason - there's something really that gets
my, er, ummmm, senses up when he's all game face, and playing.

yup, I'm not married to a player, but I sure can appreciate the male species
when they're in all their chest-beating, swaggering, self confident glory. And
as you said, it's alluring and plain sexy. And it's funny, did you catch the
show 'The View' this morning? They interviewed Kurt Russell, who plays Herb
Brooks in the movie 'Miracle', and even they said that there is something very
special about hockey players. Grinding it out and ugly on the ice, but very
upstanding and wonderful guys off. *sigh I'm jealous of all the attention you
get!

DH makes a diagonal beeline - from about the
red-line - to the hash marks - and decks him. More like plants him -smush -
into the glass - the guy just slides down the glass onto the ice -

lolol! woohoo go hubby! Yeah, baby! I would have loved seeing that. : ) My
husband had a job offer in Wisconsin recently- we're not going but wondered
about the transition for the horses.The coldest it's been here so far is 18,
and I can't remember with the wind chill about 10 I think. And of course,
everyone thinks they're dying, then I read other posts from ppl where it's
REALLY cold lol. And heaven forbid we get a little ice or snow (it's usually
ice storms, rarely fun snow), everyone completely freaks out. : )

Hockey and stitching! Hey, the Stars have come back from the pits of doom! Yea!

: )
Rhonda
Old February 7th 04, 05:58 AM
Ellice

On 2/6/04 1:51 PM,"LUSNMYMIND" posted:

Note - it wasn't me with the fight note

Oops, sorry Ellice, I apologize for not attributing who said what.

LOL - no apology necessary. It's enough we cheer when there are good fights,
but us proper officials, well..... Of course, one of the secrets of
successful linesman - when escorting (dragging, pushing) combatants to the
box, or off the ice - always tell them what a good job they did (even if
they got smushed). You just do it quietly ;^)

where I remind you I'm married to a goalie
- and for whatever indefinable reason - there's something really that gets
my, er, ummmm, senses up when he's all game face, and playing.

yup, I'm not married to a player, but I sure can appreciate the male species
when they're in all their chest-beating, swaggering, self confident glory. And
as you said, it's alluring and plain sexy. And it's funny, did you catch the
show 'The View' this morning? They interviewed Kurt Russell, who plays Herb
Brooks in the movie 'Miracle', and even they said that there is something very
special about hockey players. Grinding it out and ugly on the ice, but very
upstanding and wonderful guys off. *sigh I'm jealous of all the attention you
get!

We've seen a lot of press about the movie. There was a neat preview with
Kurt Russell, Jim Craig, Buzz Schneider & Mike Eruzione with Linda Cohn on
ESPN classic last night. Did you know that for the movie they actually
recruited hockey players - to find real players (college, juniors) that
could then have their hidden acting talent turned on. Very cool watching how
the filming was done (guys in pads skating in the midst, camera on cables
over ice, and one completely rigged filling a net).

Don't be jealous - I'm constantly amazed at how nice some of the guys are,
and at staying friends. In the old days (younger and fit) I'd have a blast
playing at the practices with guys on the CAPS alum team - I have no
business being on their ice. Always fun - they were so nice - telling me
they were going to set me up to score - somehow. And then you see some of
those guys with rings, from other teams they played with. For the attention
- it helps that DH & I are just easy with the guys we know who are the real
deal. And I've had an entire life of being one of the boys, so that works
out.

DH makes a diagonal beeline - from about the
red-line - to the hash marks - and decks him. More like plants him -smush -
into the glass - the guy just slides down the glass onto the ice -

lolol! woohoo go hubby! Yeah, baby! I would have loved seeing that. : ) My

It was memorable. That a-hole looked like one of those Garfields that people
stick on the window of a car. And the other guys who were watching - really
liked it. They were so funny - later that night a bunch of us were out
getting refreshments (what, beer after hockey - who'd think that) retelling
how they ran to their locker room "Hey, Jon just took out ....."

husband had a job offer in Wisconsin recently- we're not going but wondered
about the transition for the horses.The coldest it's been here so far is 18,
and I can't remember with the wind chill about 10 I think. And of course,
everyone thinks they're dying, then I read other posts from ppl where it's
REALLY cold lol. And heaven forbid we get a little ice or snow (it's usually
ice storms, rarely fun snow), everyone completely freaks out. : )

Hmmmm - transition for the horses - more time indoors. Heavy winter
blankets. Looking for good stabling. How old are they - if they're young it
would be easier than if really old. And of course, always the fun of studs
for their shoes for really bad snow. You'd have plenty of hockey in
Wisconsin - but if you're not going, at least you can stay warmer where you
are!

Hockey and stitching! Hey, the Stars have come back from the pits of doom!
Yea!

That's something to be happy about. We're just hoping Olie survives the
season here - if he wants to stay. Haven't had a chance to catch up in a
little while - so.....

Pet the horses for me ;^)

Ellice - back after a night doing 3 ref evaluations (watching 2 bad high
school games - listening to rich parents of prep school kids who are
dominating a game egg on their kids who already act like idiots) and
scheduling officials for girls/women's play-offs - woo hoo.

Old February 7th 04, 04:44 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/7/04 12:58 AM, in article , "Ellice"
wrote:

[...]

I want you all to know that thought on any "little girl" getting moony over
my "little boy" is very, very scary. Especially when he's on the ice or just
getting off the ice.

But I remember getting all gushy over Bobby Orr.

[...]

We'll go see it over Feb. break.

Cheryl

Old February 7th 04, 07:06 PM
Ellice

On 2/7/04 11:44 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

wrote:

On 2/6/04 1:51 PM,"LUSNMYMIND" posted:

where I remind you I'm married to a goalie
- and for whatever indefinable reason - there's something really that gets
my, er, ummmm, senses up when he's all game face, and playing.

yup, I'm not married to a player, but I sure can appreciate the male species
when they're in all their chest-beating, swaggering, self confident glory.
And
as you said, it's alluring and plain sexy.

I want you all to know that thought on any "little girl" getting moony over
my "little boy" is very, very scary. Especially when he's on the ice or just
getting off the ice.

LOL - I don't think it happens until they're in high-school. The PeeWees are
definitely still quite separate. Bantams are confusing - there is a girls
team playing in a Bantam B division, Tier II, and we've been concerned as
that's a very rough age. The boys don't want to go out with the girls, they
just don't want to be beaten by them (these girls are an awesome national
bound U-14 girls team, doing this for many stupid, some ok, reasons) as the
girls have more skill, are better skaters. And these girls aren't interested
in the 13, 14 yr old boys. Now, the 16 yr old boys - a different story.

The stands at high school games - full of 'admirers' . The funniest thing -
occasionally some girl decides instead of playing girls/womens hockey
(around age 15,16) she'll play with some boys team (usually not a good team
- skill difference) - and you notice the girl wearing make-up during the
game. Anyone playing hockey - with make-up on - is not there for the sport
on the ice - so to speak. Just cracks me up - especially when reffing them.
We've noticed 2 of the girls playing bantam showing up with a bit of make-up
on to play - not their normal style.

But I remember getting all gushy over Bobby Orr.

show 'The View' this morning? They interviewed Kurt Russell, who plays Herb
Brooks in the movie 'Miracle', and even they said that there is something
very
special about hockey players. Grinding it out and ugly on the ice, but very

ESPN classic last night. Did you know that for the movie they actually
recruited hockey players - to find real players (college, juniors) that
could then have their hidden acting talent turned on. Very cool watching how
the filming was done (guys in pads skating in the midst, camera on cables
over ice, and one completely rigged filling a net).

We'll go see it over Feb. break.

I think we may be seeing it sooner ;^)

ellice

Old February 7th 04, 07:42 PM
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

On 2/6/04 1:51 PM,"LUSNMYMIND" posted:

where I remind you I'm married to a goalie
- and for whatever indefinable reason - there's something really that gets
my, er, ummmm, senses up when he's all game face, and playing.

yup, I'm not married to a player, but I sure can appreciate the male
species
when they're in all their chest-beating, swaggering, self confident glory.
And
as you said, it's alluring and plain sexy.

I want you all to know that thought on any "little girl" getting moony over
my "little boy" is very, very scary. Especially when he's on the ice or just
getting off the ice.

LOL - I don't think it happens until they're in high-school. The PeeWees are
definitely still quite separate.

I don't know - there is a Squirt girl that was casting long glances in DS
direction last week.
And even in 5 years, it will still be very very scary.

Bantams are confusing - there is a girls
team playing in a Bantam B division, Tier II, and we've been concerned as
that's a very rough age. The boys don't want to go out with the girls, they
just don't want to be beaten by them (these girls are an awesome national
bound U-14 girls team, doing this for many stupid, some ok, reasons) as the
girls have more skill, are better skaters. And these girls aren't interested
in the 13, 14 yr old boys. Now, the 16 yr old boys - a different story.

DD has a crowd of admirers on her team (and off). One boy tried to kiss her
on the check and she got really red.

The stands at high school games - full of 'admirers' . The funniest thing -
occasionally some girl decides instead of playing girls/womens hockey
(around age 15,16) she'll play with some boys team (usually not a good team
- skill difference) - and you notice the girl wearing make-up during the
game. Anyone playing hockey - with make-up on - is not there for the sport
on the ice - so to speak. Just cracks me up - especially when reffing them.
We've noticed 2 of the girls playing bantam showing up with a bit of make-up
on to play - not their normal style.

I ran track with a girl that insisted on wearing fake eyelashes at meets.
Looked really dumb. (early 70's, end of the fad)

But I remember getting all gushy over Bobby Orr.

show 'The View' this morning? They interviewed Kurt Russell, who plays Herb
Brooks in the movie 'Miracle', and even they said that there is something
very
special about hockey players. Grinding it out and ugly on the ice, but very

ESPN classic last night. Did you know that for the movie they actually
recruited hockey players - to find real players (college, juniors) that
could then have their hidden acting talent turned on. Very cool watching how
the filming was done (guys in pads skating in the midst, camera on cables
over ice, and one completely rigged filling a net).

We'll go see it over Feb. break.

I think we may be seeing it sooner ;^)

Ah the joys of not juggling 3 hockey schedules and school work. I can wait
the 2 weeks.

Cheryl

Old February 9th 04, 11:04 PM
Joan Erickson

Ellice wrote:

On 2/6/04 1:51 PM,"LUSNMYMIND" posted:
husband had a job offer in Wisconsin recently- we're not going but wondered
about the transition for the horses.

Hmmmm - transition for the horses - more time indoors. Heavy winter
blankets. Looking for good stabling. How old are they - if they're young it
would be easier than if really old. And of course, always the fun of studs
for their shoes for really bad snow.

If you're moving in the winter, yeah they probably should at least have
a light blanket if they already have any kind of a winter coat. If you
move in the summer, their bodies will adjust as the temps change. My
horse has free choice whether to be in or out. Most days she's out.
She has a nice, heavy coat.
Horses can handle the cold quite well on their own. As long as they
can get out of the wind, that's really all they need. That and some
extra feed or their bodies burn their fat keeping themselves warm.
Another thing you'll want to watch if you ride in the winter is if they
start sweating under the saddle pad/blanket. They definitely have to be
walked until they're dry.
HTH.
--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

OT - Story: Time Flies Kathy N-V Beads 2 January 18th 05 05:25 PM
They're getting slicker all the time at phishing Su/Cutworks Beads 5 November 22nd 04 07:40 AM
OT ~ It's a real eruption this time! Mj Beads 9 October 6th 04 04:15 AM
Panic Attack Time starlia Beads 76 March 14th 04 02:39 AM
Almost time for BABE Christina Peterson Beads 14 November 7th 03 07:23 AM