Use of Brass Coated Lead Came

Old August 17th 03, 12:44 AM
Gloria

Default Use of Brass Coated Lead Came

I've purchased some brass coated lead came and would appreciate any
advice from those who have successfully used it. Questions I have now

- do I stretch it like normal lead came?
- should I use my zinc came bender to bend it, or can I do it by hand?
- what's the best way to cut it?
- I have a small table mounted circular saw I use for cutting zinc
came, should I plan to use this?

Any other advice you can offer will be appreciated.

I will be framing with solid brass came, and have a gold colored
permanent marker sold by the stained glass suppliers to "patina" the
lead joints.

Many thanks
Old August 17th 03, 02:56 AM
Moonraker

"Gloria" wrote in message
om...
I've purchased some brass coated lead came and would appreciate any
advice from those who have successfully used it. Questions I have now

You are assuming that it WAS used successfully.. ;(

- do I stretch it like normal lead came?

No. The brass won't stretch, and it's already too stiff, if you were able
to stretch it, it'd be as stiff as a 2x4.

- should I use my zinc came bender to bend it, or can I do it by hand?

It's really stiff. Probably gonna need mechanical help. I tried using it
with bevel clusters. Never again.

- what's the best way to cut it?
- I have a small table mounted circular saw I use for cutting zinc
came, should I plan to use this?

No. Don't use a toothed blade, the brass will eat it the blade up. Use a
thin abrasive wheel.

Any other advice you can offer will be appreciated.

I did ONE project with that stuff. I learned my lesson. Hope your mileage
varies.

Old August 18th 03, 10:05 PM
Gloria

Thanks for your advice. I haven't committed to anyone that the piece
would be finished in brass, but since the frame was brass thought I'd
give this a try. If it proves to be too difficult to work with, then
I'll go back to plain lead and patina it black. Might work since I
don't have too many sharp curves in this pattern. Thanks for your
advice.
gk
Old August 19th 03, 05:26 AM
jk

"Gloria" wrote in message
om...
I've purchased some brass coated lead came and would appreciate any
advice from those who have successfully used it. Questions I have now

I've used one of the thinner profiles with no problems at all. I bent it
by hand, and cut it with a small very fine toothed table saw blade to
perfection. If I had more of a call for brass, I would actually prefer this
stuff.

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

real lead flashing - for dolls houses stephen chester Doll Houses 5 November 9th 04 05:23 PM
What is brass filigree? jm Beads 3 December 25th 03 05:41 PM
Lead Poisoning (was Slide Pendant) Carol in SLC Beads 3 September 5th 03 09:55 PM