backing quilts

Old February 9th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

Default backing quilts

What are you people using to back your quilts? Sheets? What thread count do
you all recommend? A flat sheet for a double bed is too narrow for a full
size quilt so are you buying Queens size sheets to back full size quilts?

Old February 9th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

I buy Full size flat sheet to back a twin quilt.
A Q to back a Full size quilt.
A K to back a Q quilt.
I haven't made a K quilt, but I probably will this Spring or Summer. I'm
still thinking about it.
Barbara in FL

Old February 9th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

how about the extra wide 'made for backing' fabrics available.
they are the same good quality as the LQS cottons used for the tops.
usually in gentler colours and patterns to as not to overwhelm the tops.
tho you can also piece leftovers from the top and/or plain muslin or wow
designs.
i'm not a fan of sheets as backings but others are.
its yours, do what you fancy.
we'll hide ya when the quilt police show up to check. )
j.

"Marie Dodge" wrote...

Old February 9th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Feb 8, 10:19*pm, "Marie Dodge" wrote:
What are you people using to back your quilts? *Sheets? What thread count do
you all recommend? *A flat sheet for a double bed is too narrow for a full
size quilt so are you buying Queens size sheets to back full size quilts?

I've always either used Moda wide muslin, or in the case of one
"special" quilt, I used regular
fabric, though I didn't like seaming it. I've seen sheets used, and I
thought it looked fine and
intent to try one on my next one. I've been looking, and a fullsize
flat sheet is 81x96, which
will work for the top I'm nearly finished with.

Sherry
Old February 9th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Sheets, muslin, extra wide 'for backing' fabrics or yardages pieced together
or FQs or scraps or extra blocks pieced together or a combination of *all*
of them pieced together are completely acceptable. I usually sew two or
three lengths of yardage that matches or compliments the front of the quilt,
but I used muslin exclusively in the past. If two lengths of fabric aren't
quite wide enough I'll stick a row of blocks between them or a totally
different contrasting fabric- maybe even with a third fabric as borders for
the row of blocks!- the sky is the limit. Whatever you can find, afford,
like or 'whatever' will make a great backing for your quilt. One warning
with a sheet for backing... if you get a high thread count it can be
difficult to hand quilt. Machine quilting prolly wouldn't be effected by
it. I've had some troubles even with high quality, expensive sheets getting
little nubbies on them. Maybe that wouldn't happen for a quilt backing
since I wouldn't be tossing and turning on it like I do with my sheets.
Insomnia, ya know. (Arthritis induced insomnia...)

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 9th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

I've never used sheets. Depending on the size and use I back with flannel,
cotton, muslin. Sometimes the back is a solid piece and sometimes pieces
again depending on size of quilt and backing. Sometimes Joann's has color
muslin 108 inches wide.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old February 9th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

"Bobbie Sews Moore" wrote in message
I buy Full size flat sheet to back a twin quilt.
A Q to back a Full size quilt.
A K to back a Q quilt.
I haven't made a K quilt, but I probably will this Spring or Summer. I'm
still thinking about it.
Barbara in FL

Thank you Barbara. What thread count sheets are you using? I would think
anything over 300 count would be hard to hand quilt.

Old February 9th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Feb 8, 10:51*pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
[...]

Gah. I can't believe I am so unimaginative. It honestly never occurred
to me
that I could fancy-up the back of a quilt like that; I'm thinking how
cool
it would have been on the one I used 45" fabric, seamed, to have put
a row of blocks down the middle. Thanks!
Sherry
Old February 9th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

"nzlstar*" wrote in message

how about the extra wide 'made for backing' fabrics available.
they are the same good quality as the LQS cottons used for the tops.
usually in gentler colours and patterns to as not to overwhelm the tops.
tho you can also piece leftovers from the top and/or plain muslin or wow
designs.

I really dislike muslin and don't like seams. I didn't see any "made for
backing" fabrics today. I may have just missed them. I would assume they're
more expensive than a decent quality sheet.

i'm not a fan of sheets as backings but others are.

What is it about sheets you don't like?

its yours, do what you fancy.
we'll hide ya when the quilt police show up to check. )

LOL!!!! :-D

Old February 9th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Feb 8, 10:19 pm, "Marie Dodge" wrote:
What are you people using to back your quilts? Sheets? What thread count
do
you all recommend? A flat sheet for a double bed is too narrow for a full
size quilt so are you buying Queens size sheets to back full size quilts?

I've always either used Moda wide muslin, or in the case of one
"special" quilt, I used regular
fabric, though I didn't like seaming it. I've seen sheets used, and I
thought it looked fine and
intent to try one on my next one. I've been looking, and a fullsize
flat sheet is 81x96, which
will work for the top I'm nearly finished with.

I found the full size flat sheet too narrow for a double or full size bed.
If two people are sleeping in the bed, the quilt is skimpy. If the couple
are a little overweight the problem is intensified. I had to give my cousin
and his wife a comforter when they last visited. The quilt was too skimpy.
I plan to buy a Queen size sheet for the quilt I have planned for our guest
room and made the new quilt wider.

muslin as backing Anne Rogers[_3_] Quilting 32 August 21st 07 08:28 PM
bedsheets as backing Cats Quilting 0 November 8th 06 11:51 AM
backing sandra Quilting 2 February 8th 04 05:22 AM
rug backing BDS2pds Needlework 1 August 19th 03 02:07 AM
"Quilt" no backing? Joy Quilts Quilting 0 July 10th 03 09:18 PM