OT OT OT .. the last inspection..

Old June 19th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
FiederEls in NL

Default OT OT OT .. the last inspection..

This is very OT so feel free to skip..

Last friday the Dutch army lost one of their soldiers: Timo Smeehuijzen
( 20yrs ) in Afghanistan.. very sad..
Yesterday we lost another soldier: Jos Leunissen..(44yrs )
This is all so awful..
Today someone put this on the Hyvespage of that 20yrs soldier..
I suppose many of you read this before but it was new to me..
So.. for all that have a loved one somewhere in this world fighting a
war, or is there to maintain peace or for whatever other reason they are
there.. lets hope they stay safe and return home soon..
And for all soldiers that didn't make it....

The Last Inspection

The soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."

~Author Unknown~

FiederEls....
Old June 19th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Warm condolences on the loss of these fine young soldiers.
Hugs, Pat in Virginia, USA

FiederEls in NL wrote:

This is very OT so feel free to skip..

Last friday the Dutch army lost one of their soldiers: Timo Smeehuijzen
( 20yrs ) in Afghanistan.. very sad..
Yesterday we lost another soldier: Jos Leunissen..(44yrs )
This is all so awful..

....cut for length...
Old June 19th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
R. E. Wicker

Thank you for sharing that "blessed" poem.

Rhoda

Old June 19th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
FiederEls in NL wrote:

[...]

That's beautiful; I'd never seen it before, so thanks for sharing it.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) embarqmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
Old June 20th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TerriLee in WA \(state\)

Wow. That needed a kleenex warning. Thanks very much for sharing. We are
praying that my oldest DGD's DH comes home from Iraq safely. Condolences to
all who have someone who did not.

--
TerriLee in WA (state)
remove the cats to reply