quilting-what's it take?

Old June 19th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marsha

Default quilting-what's it take?

On Jun 18, 8:33 pm, Debra wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:11:39 -0500, "teleflora" wrote:
I keep going to the needlework newsgroup because I love handwork and they
really do beautiful things, but Tia Mary will tell you, some of those folks
are MEAN! They'll fight just cause they haven't had one in a while.

Cindy

I keep hoping things will improve there, and check it regularly, but
the only changes have been for the worse. There is hardly any message
traffic there nowadays, and most of it is the arguing ones attacking
each other now that they have no one else to gang up on.

Before I started quilting I found this group to ask a question about
my grandma's quilt, then stayed because it was nice here. No one
cared that I didn't quilt back then, they just accepted that I was
interested in quilts and answered my silly questions. Now I've got
the quilting bug, and this is my guild.
Debra in VA
See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Debra,

I have tried to joined other groups. I have seen the fighting,
belittling and bickering. It is so sad women choose to attack each
other instead of nurturing each other. We are suppose to be a support
team for each other, I believe.

This group is wonderful, at least that is what I have seen the short
time I have been a member. Very supportive, fun and creative.

I am happy to say this is my guild too.

Piece,

Marsha in Ohio

Old June 19th 07, 11:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

I have a friend who used to be a Home Ec (onomics ) teacher years ago...and
is now
84 yrs old. She started quilting quite a few years ago but started to make
all her quilts
totally by hand so that she could watch sports on TV with her dh. She has
her
quilting stuff on a TV table near her...no cutting mat...no pile of
rulers.....no rotary cutter ..
no specialty threads, etc. !!!....In fact , she
has never owned those products !!...Her quilts are great and since she does
a lot of
applique a lot of them are her own design. It is amazing how much she gets
done and so
fast. I have so many rulers...some never used....and all kinds of the
right threads
and needles -- etc., etc. I was amazed at her sewing machine....the
simplest of the simplest...
and not such a good brand !!! She used to sew clothing and had a lot of
pictures to show me
as she had sewn for her dd's sports career. Perhaps simplicity is a good
thing..
Mary in VT

"Debra" wrote in message : I think today's quick paced life makes many
of us expect to produce
quilts quickly and that expectation leads many of us to believe we
need all the new gadgets and machines with all the bells and whistles.
Keeping up with the Joneses also raises it's head in the race for the
newest gadget. And those who would be quilt police have led us to a
snobbish belief that only 100 percent cotton designer prints should
ever be used in quilts despite the fact that quilts have been made
from nearly every fabric imaginable.

Truth be known, I'm a throw back to slower times. All I need are
scraps, needle, thread, and scissors to make this hobby feel right for
me. I rather enjoy cutting fabric with scissors and sewing by hand.
Everything else is just icing on the cake.

I'll probably never enter a quilt show, but I don't choose a hobby to
win competitions. I'll probably never join a quilt guild because
there isn't a local one, but I don't need one. I consider RCTQ to be
my guild. No local guild can offer the same range of people, ideas,
experience, and geographic locations as this Usenet news group.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old June 19th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

"Debra" wrote in message
..
Keeping up with the Joneses

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

playful snipping with my thread snips

*I* "keep up with Jones" and *I* have the 2" Button (pin?) to prove it.
Never mind how I got it

Butterfly G

Old June 19th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Reminds me of when I first joined RCTQ and went to the LQS. Gal there asked
if I "belonged' to one so I told her about RCTQ and showed her my 'badge'
that someone on here had made for me. I got a discount Then the LQS went
to 'punch cards' and that made ALL of us happier
This is my One and Only Guild and that's the way it'll stay.

It feels 'right' here and your chair stays either by the
King-Size-Cyber-quilt-Frame or up on the wall when you are away for some
reason.

Butterfly (and the Dues and NO OFFICERS and No QP's can't be beat)

Old June 19th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default quilt groups or bees quilting-what's it take?

This is certainly a good place to get chocolate ... er,
education about quilting. It is fun to 'meet'
people on line, and sometimes even meet some of them in
real life! Even so, I really enjoy my real life groups.
I always get to experience smiles, hugs, and laughs in
person, as well as to see and touch the quilts in the
cloth. We have hands-on opportunities to sew and learn,
and to exchange fabric and borrow books. Today I went
to my monthly bee, and greatly enjoyed the warmth,
sharing, and friendship there. There is a place for a
variety of groups and friendships in my life.
PAT in Virginia

Old June 19th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

This is certainly a good place to get chocolate ... er,
education about quilting. It is fun to 'meet'
people on line, and sometimes even meet some of them in
real life! Even so, I really enjoy my real life groups.
I always get to experience smiles, hugs, and laughs in
person, as well as to see and touch the quilts in the
cloth. We have hands-on opportunities to sew and learn,
and to exchange fabric and borrow books. Today I went
to my monthly bee, and greatly enjoyed the warmth,
sharing, and friendship there. There is a place for a
variety of groups and friendships in my life.
PAT in Virginia

I have to agree with you there, Pat. I also enjoy my real-life groups,
even though I hear more often about what RCTQ is doing. Once a month,
though, I get to get together with other quilters in person and do as
you do, and I love it.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) embarqmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
Old June 20th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I get to sound like the echo this time Sandy. There is
something good about being about to get together in a real
life group. I wish the miles were closer for the group
here.
Taria

Old June 20th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Thanks for your notes, both Taria and Sandy. I realize
that for many people it is impossible to have a home
town group, for different reasons .... transportation,
child/elder care, health, etc. One thing I did not
mention, and it is worth a note, is that while large
organizations (guilds) may not work for some quilters,
a small home based bee of 4 or 5 quilters may be an
excellent activity. Large guilds are not the only
options out there. We can tailor a group to suit us.

I was once in a small bee that met twice a month,
rotating hosting in our own homes. A certain friend
wanted to join the bee but could not leave her disabled
daughter home alone. So we agreed to always meet at her
house, and we took turns bringing a dessert or snack.
It was good for everyone, including the daughter. It
was a nice group, and they gave me lovely blocks when I
moved away!

Hugs, PAT

Taria wrote:

I get to sound like the echo this time Sandy. There is
something good about being about to get together in a real
life group. I wish the miles were closer for the group
here.
Taria

Sandy wrote:

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

This is certainly a good place to get chocolate ... er, education
about quilting. It is fun to 'meet' people on line, and sometimes
even meet some of them in real life! Even so, I really enjoy my real
life groups....cut...