Another convert. . .

Old October 21st 03, 03:48 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:21:18 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

I have plyed small amounds that way, coming off a toilet roll, using
beginning and end of the single. There were many times I got into an
awful mess. I would say that that is not for a beginner. Better to put
the toilet rolls on a knitting needle which you poke through the sides of
a shoebox, hang the toilet roll on the knitting needle and push the needle
out the other side. Hang one toilet roll in front of another and ply
(using two knitting needles naturally)

I think the trick to it is letting it sit on the roll long enough so that
the center doesn't collapse when you slide it off, but yes, it is much
easier to ply from two separate rolls.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old October 21st 03, 07:24 PM
Els van Dam

Dam) wrote:

I have plyed small amounds that way, coming off a toilet roll, using
beginning and end of the single. There were many times I got into an
awful mess. I would say that that is not for a beginner. Better to put
the toilet rolls on a knitting needle which you poke through the sides of
a shoebox, hang the toilet roll on the knitting needle and push the needle
out the other side. Hang one toilet roll in front of another and ply
(using two knitting needles naturally)

I think the trick to it is letting it sit on the roll long enough so that
the center doesn't collapse when you slide it off, but yes, it is much
easier to ply from two separate rolls.

Helen it was usually during workshops where that method was applied,
winding your sample onto a toilet roll and plying it from both ends.
Pressures being high to stay with the class....I can still see me sitting
unraveling the messes during break times (now laughing) I tried it just
recently after I had spun up some silk hankies and I tell you I needed a
pair of extra hands to get it all untangled. Otto told me it served me
right for being in a hurry....We did get it all straightend out and neatly
plied....in the end.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old October 21st 03, 10:51 PM
Ria Van de Velde

Your skein looks very pretty too me. Much better than my first
Last week I made a hat out of some of my first yarn. To find out
whixh stitch was the best I made several swatches, and settled for the
moss stitch. This shows off the irregularities in the yarn, and I
think that is better than trying to hide them.

Ria

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:51:43 -0700, "Myka KS"
wrote:

I read Slinky's post last night, and I tried the suggestion for plying by
starting from the middle of the strand -- worked like a charm!! I was
having trouble starting before with two strands, but starting from the
center is easy. Thanks for the suggestion!

I tried the spit and splice method after plying the two strands that I had
done, but I wasn't too thrilled with the results. I think I will try to
spin more onto my drop spindle before taking it off to ply and not splice
until I'm working on the project.

Speaking of a project, I bought 8oz of this really nice white wool (I forgot
to write down what kind--I will ask next month at the guild meeting), so it
should be plenty to make something out of. I was originally thinking of a
hat and scarf, but I really don't need *another* hat and scarf. . . Anyone
have any thoughts? If a scarf is the best option, what type of stitch would
be good (moss, seed, basket, trinity, etc.) and how many stitches would I
need to cast on?

I feel like I'm sending out a birth announcement. My frist skein measures
just under 11 yards, and weighs 1/2 oz. I put pictures of my drop spindle
and my first skein on my charkha page: www.mykandarryl.com/charkha.html It
may not be pretty but it's a start! And ever soooo soft. I can't wait to
start making something with it!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I really appreciate you guys!
Couldn't do it without you!! Keep those suggestions coming; I don't think I
could ever get enough advice! :-)

Blessings,
Myka

New email address riavdv at pandora dot be
Old October 22nd 03, 01:36 AM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

You might try winding differently on the shaft. What shape are you making,
a cone? Try winding a fair distance up and down, like going back and forth
on a weaving bobbin while winding and about that far. On the first few
winds the threads crossing each other look like Xs, so it's called the
x-wind. Anyway, that builds up more of a cylinder shape and lets you fit
more on and more tightly.

| On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:32:05 -0700, "Myka KS" wrote:

Els wrote:
You know Myka, what I have done and seen done on a drop spindle
is close to what I can spin on a bobbin on my wheel.

Okay, I've tried going longer/waiting longer to take the yarn off for
plying. The woman who taught me at the guild meeting told me that I would
sense when it was time to stop when the spindle got harder to spin. . . and
after Els' comment, I was sure I could put lots more on my spindle. But I
got frustrated. . . the yarn gradually starts inching down the spindle until
it starts falling off! I keep pushing it up and it keeps inching down.
It's a never ending battle. What do I do? Do I need to wrap it more
tightly? Please help. I'd really like to make longer threads!!!

Blessings,
Myka

Old October 22nd 03, 02:24 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Myka KS"
wrote:

Els, do you mean crochet a very loose chain with one ply then spin again
going the opposite direction? Not sure what you mean by "very long loops".
. . .?

Blessings,
Myka

While you ply, you make a crocheted chain. Each loop of that chain is
about 9" to 10" (inches long) you can do that with one end. I will go and
look in my little book and see if I can scan it for you and I will send it
to you in an E-mail.

First supper.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old October 22nd 03, 02:28 AM
Myka KS

Els, do you mean crochet a very loose chain with one ply then spin again
going the opposite direction? Not sure what you mean by "very long loops".
.. . .?

Blessings,
Myka
--
Spam trap hint: contact me at the acronym
JustUnderNineOlives = juno

Old October 22nd 03, 02:34 AM
Myka KS

Thank you, Ria. My second skein came out tighter (thinner strands and
tighter ply but not to the point of twisting up on itself), but not as soft
(maybe because it was tighter?) I will try the moss stitch with it when I
am done. Your suggestion about trying a variety of stiches is also a good
one, thanks!

Blessings,
Myka

OT Esther Dr. Sooz Beads 58 June 29th 04 05:52 AM
Sooz makes another convert! just me Beads 20 January 30th 04 03:57 AM
GROUP use of Amazing Box to convert FREE design downloads??? Linda Needlework 2 January 25th 04 06:47 PM
GROUP use of Amazing Box to convert FREE design downloads??? Linda Quilting 3 January 25th 04 01:18 AM
convert to *.pem, *.pes Frank Sewing 0 September 22nd 03 08:23 PM