Silly question

Old May 16th 04, 11:24 PM
Sharon Harper

LOL - don't feel bad! I didn't find out what nouns, verbs, etc were until
first year of high school when I switched to a catholic school from a
government one. Seems all those things just weren't important to the
government!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

"NightMist" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:58:36 GMT, Julia Altshuler
wrote:

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

So let me guess. You two have both ordered your copies of "Eats,

Shoots, and
Leaves". ;-)

After reading a review in my local newspaper, I couldn't wait to see it.
At the bookstore, I wasn't so impressed. The review had already
quoted all the good bits. (The explanation of the title is brilliantly
funny.) The rest seemed like an ordinary grammar book to me. I haven't
read it straight through.

I am going to be looking for this book!

I desperately _need_ a good, readable, grammer book.

I have been reported for comma abuse soooo many times now, that the
judge says that next time she is going to take my comma key away from
me.
My apostrophes aren't quite promiscuous, but they are definitely a bit
slutty.
My college English prof said that my "creative use" of grammer and
punctuation was "quite like Faulkner's". I was absolutely horrified,
I never thought it was _that_ bad! But, the prof being a sensitive
poetic type, quite the artiste, never did anything to correct me. He
merely suggested I read a book in the library. Which turned out to be
about the size of Webster's Unabridged, though not nearly so easy or
interesting to read. I got a C in basic composition, Faulkneresque
grammer and all.

DH tried to help me out once, but when he diagramed a sentence to show
me where I went wrong, I was baffled. I spent so much time trying to
get the exercises on tenses done to my seventh grade teacher's
satisfaction, that I completely missed diagraming. Past, present, and
future, were easy, it was when 'perfect' came in that I got befuddled.

On top of it all, my spelling is wobbly.

Come to think on it, how on earth do y'all figure out what I am
talking about half the time?

NightMist

--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell

Old May 17th 04, 01:12 AM
the black rose

Cryn wrote:
What is a Quilt Inspector please?

The quilter's pet. Most often a cat, I think, since they're more
demanding about sitting on whatever they take a fancy to sitting on.

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old May 17th 04, 02:39 AM
Julia in MN

Julia Altshuler wrote:
The Carol Doak books are good, but paper piecing for me was something I
needed to see in person. I had trouble with written instructions no
matter who was writing them.

Some of Carol's books come with a companion CD that you can "play" on
your computer for a video demo of paper piecing techniques.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old May 17th 04, 04:19 AM
Diana Curtis

Oh, thats simple. I just ask someone to read it outloud to me. Or ask Polly
or one of the gators to translate. :-)
Diana

"NightMist"

Old May 17th 04, 04:20 AM
Diana Curtis

They can also be small children. Meg dances on the fabric, or blocks or
qiult in progress, and sometimes the finished quilt. She is my QI, and DD.
Diana

Old May 17th 04, 06:37 AM
Patti

Hullo Carolyn
Just wanted to say Hi to another Brit!
As to paper piecing: which type do you mean (or did you say already?) ?
There is the old, traditional type, where regular shaped pieces are
folded around paper shapes and sewn together by hand; the newer type
where the pattern is drawn onto paper (or another foundation material).

If you live somewhere where you could get to a class for this (the
latter), it might make it easier for you. If you have to rely on books,
Carol Doak's first book on foundation paper piecing would be excellent
for you.
..
In article , Cryn
writes
Hello Carolyn1

Lia certainly answered the question perfectly - I made the top yesterday
afternoon and quilted it today. Although I stuck to pure cotton throughout,
I bound it with some satiny blanket edging that I remember my babies loved
to stroke. I am really pleased with the result.... not to say that I
wouldn't do better next time!!! The pictures I cut out of fat quarters
weren't perfectly square, for instance, so I probably should have taken the
time to 'frame' them.

Chocolate, certainly! We British were weaned on Cadbury's, though I can be
tempted away by the new white Maltesers. What is a Quilt Inspector please?

Can you recommend an idiot guide to paper piecing? I can't leave that ***
magazine alone!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 17th 04, 07:06 PM
Roberta Zollner

Best grammar book IMO (also short and easy to understand): Elements of Style
by Strunk and White.
Roberta in D

Old May 17th 04, 09:10 PM
Cryn

Thanks, Patti. I will look out for the book.
Carolyn

.
[...]

***
magazine alone!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old May 17th 04, 10:12 PM
Patti

I'm pretty sure Amazon has all Carol's books. And, as someone else
mentioned, some have a CD.
..
In article , Cryn
writes

Old May 18th 04, 12:47 AM
Maureen Wozniak

NightMist,

You just need the very thin and fairly readable "Elements of Style" All
the grammar rules you need to know are covered in there.

Maureen

wrote:

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

[...]

Split Rings - silly question Zanaida Beads 12 May 11th 04 06:47 PM
Silly storage question KJ Quilting 10 January 27th 04 05:50 AM
I think we'll have carry-out pizza tonight (was "Silly Storage Question") Marcella Tracy Peek Quilting 5 January 25th 04 06:05 AM
Silly Question! Jan and Ron Rubberstamps 3 November 26th 03 05:12 PM
Silly question JL Amerson Beads 11 October 30th 03 02:57 AM