Silly question

Old May 15th 04, 07:58 PM
Julia Altshuler

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

So let me guess. You two have both ordered your copies of "Eats, Shoots, and
Leaves". ;-)

After reading a review in my local newspaper, I couldn't wait to see it.
At the bookstore, I wasn't so impressed. The review had already
quoted all the good bits. (The explanation of the title is brilliantly
funny.) The rest seemed like an ordinary grammar book to me. I haven't
read it straight through.

--Lia

Old May 15th 04, 11:16 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Last thing I'm going to worry about here is
the typos. g I kan speel just fine, thank you!
Grammar and punctuation lesson from f-i-l:
"What is this thing called love?" or was it
"What! Is *this* thing called 'love'?" or
"What is this thing *called*, Love?"

Question answer: quilt thru' all 3 layers.
http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/Quilt...al/index5.html

http://personalpages.chorus.net/cpop.../quilting.html

http://www.quiltville.com/binding.html

and one final lesson (the best g):
http://www.karenbushquilts.com/Firststitch.htm

Good luck, Carolyn!
winceyette: n : (Brit) cotton flannelette with a nap on both sides

Ragmop/Sandy--I just laughed when I read that I'd spelled persue/pursue ;-D

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
m...

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Diana Curtis wrote:
This is the Grammar and Punctuation Police; stand away from your

keyboard!
The Spelling Police don't want to hold you on a charge of misuse of

letters
for the term "bleah" at this time but caution you to use your spell

checker
from now on; they will be watching you.

Thanks. I'm the sort who feels more secure knowing the grammar police
are keeping me safe from promiscuous apostrophes.

So let me guess. You two have both ordered your copies of "Eats, Shoots,

and
Leaves". ;-)

(Mine is on reserve at the library)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old May 16th 04, 01:34 PM
Carolyn McCarty

LMFAO over this thread!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

wrote in message
Is it just me, or does Promiscuous Apostrophes sound like the name of a

punk rock
band?
--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl

Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Diana Curtis wrote:
This is the Grammar and Punctuation Police; stand away from your

keyboard!
The Spelling Police don't want to hold you on a charge of misuse of

letters
for the term "bleah" at this time but caution you to use your spell

checker
from now on; they will be watching you.

Thanks. I'm the sort who feels more secure knowing the grammar police
are keeping me safe from promiscuous apostrophes.

--Lia

remove NOSPAM to reply

Old May 16th 04, 01:37 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Since Lia answered your question so perfectly, I won't bother.

Welcome, Carolyn, I hope you will join us often. Congrats on the coming
grandchild! And I do hope you enjoy finishing this quilt, it sounds like a
charming baby quilt.

But you haven't answered two important questions: Do you like chocolate,
and what kind? And, do you have any Quilt Inspectors?

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green
"Cryn" wrote in message
Hello everyone
I'm delurking to ask a silly question. The answer must be obvious but I
haven't found it anywhere!
I'm making a baby quilt this weekend as my second grandchild is due on
Tuesday. I've made lots of clothes and love hand embroidery so I

thought -
how hard can it be? I 've kept it simple - lemon and white squares with
baby animal pictures on 3 diagonals on the bottom left side. I got
winceyette for the backing which shrank in the wash to just the right size
( how lucky is that?).
Now it seems to me that if I quilt the top to the filling then bind the

top
to the backing, the backing is going to 'bag out', if you see what I mean.
Should I quilt through all the layers, including the backing, or do you

put
little tie stitches in to hold it in place, or what?
(I got a couple of quilting magazines but got sidetracked trying to figure
out how paper piecing works!!!)
I'm using a Necchi Lydia machine - will it snag on the filling do you

think?
I have recently treated myself to a beautiful old Singer treadle and an

old
Singer hand machine but haven't had time to get reaquainted with them yet.
(I learned on a treadle as a child)
BTW, I bought the old Singers from an old gent who said they had belonged

his mother who had been a milliner. The narrow part of the top of the
machine had a wad of stockinette material wound round and stitched tight

and
it was full of pins. I thought WHAT a good idea!
I so enjoy reading your posts and your enthusiasm is infectious so I'm

sure
this won't be the last quilt I make!
--
Carolyn
(remove pants to reply direct)

Old May 16th 04, 09:35 PM
Cryn

Hello Carolyn1

Lia certainly answered the question perfectly - I made the top yesterday
afternoon and quilted it today. Although I stuck to pure cotton throughout,
I bound it with some satiny blanket edging that I remember my babies loved
to stroke. I am really pleased with the result.... not to say that I
wouldn't do better next time!!! The pictures I cut out of fat quarters
weren't perfectly square, for instance, so I probably should have taken the
time to 'frame' them.

Chocolate, certainly! We British were weaned on Cadbury's, though I can be
tempted away by the new white Maltesers. What is a Quilt Inspector please?

Can you recommend an idiot guide to paper piecing? I can't leave that ***
magazine alone!
--
Carolyn
(remove pants to reply)

Old May 16th 04, 10:17 PM
Julia Altshuler

Cryn wrote:

Can you recommend an idiot guide to paper piecing? I can't leave that ***
magazine alone!

The Carol Doak books are good, but paper piecing for me was something I
needed to see in person. I had trouble with written instructions no
matter who was writing them.

I'm glad I was able to answer your question. Now here's a hint: I
answer any question I can even if the asker doesn't put herself down by
calling the question silly or herself an idiot first. In fact, I rather
prefer not reading insults even if the insulter and the insultee are the
same.

--Lia

Old May 16th 04, 10:26 PM
NightMist

On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:58:36 GMT, Julia Altshuler
wrote:

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

So let me guess. You two have both ordered your copies of "Eats, Shoots, and
Leaves". ;-)

After reading a review in my local newspaper, I couldn't wait to see it.
At the bookstore, I wasn't so impressed. The review had already
quoted all the good bits. (The explanation of the title is brilliantly
funny.) The rest seemed like an ordinary grammar book to me. I haven't
read it straight through.

I am going to be looking for this book!

I desperately _need_ a good, readable, grammer book.

I have been reported for comma abuse soooo many times now, that the
judge says that next time she is going to take my comma key away from
me.
My apostrophes aren't quite promiscuous, but they are definitely a bit
slutty.
My college English prof said that my "creative use" of grammer and
punctuation was "quite like Faulkner's". I was absolutely horrified,
I never thought it was _that_ bad! But, the prof being a sensitive
poetic type, quite the artiste, never did anything to correct me. He
merely suggested I read a book in the library. Which turned out to be
about the size of Webster's Unabridged, though not nearly so easy or
interesting to read. I got a C in basic composition, Faulkneresque
grammer and all.

DH tried to help me out once, but when he diagramed a sentence to show
me where I went wrong, I was baffled. I spent so much time trying to
get the exercises on tenses done to my seventh grade teacher's
satisfaction, that I completely missed diagraming. Past, present, and
future, were easy, it was when 'perfect' came in that I got befuddled.

On top of it all, my spelling is wobbly.

Come to think on it, how on earth do y'all figure out what I am
talking about half the time?

NightMist

--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old May 16th 04, 11:12 PM
Julia Altshuler

NightMist wrote:

Come to think on it, how on earth do y'all figure out what I am
talking about half the time?

I won't do it on list, but if you like, contact me privately. My
address is unmunged. Most grammar errors, yours included, boil down to
about 10 rules that are fairly easy to learn. You don't have to
understand everything about the English language. You don't have to
diagram sentences. You just need someone to identify the specific
mistakes you're making and show you how to avoid them. Some errors are
worse than others. Some usages were errors in a past generation but
aren't so bad now. With my lessons, I'll only point out the errors that
make communication difficult and that you prof was probably complaining
about.

--Lia

Split Rings - silly question Zanaida Beads 12 May 11th 04 06:47 PM
Silly storage question KJ Quilting 10 January 27th 04 05:50 AM
I think we'll have carry-out pizza tonight (was "Silly Storage Question") Marcella Tracy Peek Quilting 5 January 25th 04 06:05 AM
Silly Question! Jan and Ron Rubberstamps 3 November 26th 03 05:12 PM
Silly question JL Amerson Beads 11 October 30th 03 02:57 AM