Any current experience in what sewing stuff is allowed on the airplane?

Old March 14th 04, 01:59 AM
Mary in Rock Island IL

Default Any current experience in what sewing stuff is allowed on the airplane?

Later on this week I will be on a US domestic flight. I have read the
tsa.gov site carefully and tried to search within it to no avail. So
I'm wondering if anyone knows if I will be able to have some pins and
hand sewing needles in my carry-on?
Thanks!
Mary
Old March 14th 04, 02:03 AM
Mary in Oregon

I would call the airport security and airlines and ask. I know scissors are
a no-no as are knitting needles.

--
Mary

Old March 14th 04, 02:28 AM
nzl*

i think its the pointy scissors they dont like much. those short with
rounded ends are not too bad but i'd be prepared to have them removed. maybe
if you dont want to lose them have a wee bubble envelope all addressed and
stamped to send them home in, just in case.
you should also be ok with one of those clover pendants.
the needles/pins, i'd take as few as possible. lay them alongside a metal
zipper in a wee sewing bag and they might get thru ok.
just a thought.
i think every airport will be different too.
so where you going?
whatcha gonna do/see/buy?
who ya gonna stop and have coffee/s.e.x with?
inquiring aka nosey minds wanna know all the sordid details too.
snort
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Mary in Rock Island IL" wrote...

Old March 14th 04, 02:41 AM
Nurse Ratched

Actually, my auxiliary MIL and I have both carried our knitting on several
flights each since 9/11.

I know scissors are
a no-no as are knitting needles.

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
If I ever need religion, I'll worship chocolate cake.

Old March 14th 04, 03:01 AM
Mary in Rock Island IL

"nzl*" wrote:

i think its the pointy scissors they dont like much. those short with
rounded ends are not too bad but i'd be prepared to have them removed. maybe
if you dont want to lose them have a wee bubble envelope all addressed and
stamped to send them home in, just in case.
you should also be ok with one of those clover pendants.
the needles/pins, i'd take as few as possible. lay them alongside a metal
zipper in a wee sewing bag and they might get thru ok.
just a thought.
i think every airport will be different too.
so where you going?
whatcha gonna do/see/buy?
who ya gonna stop and have coffee/s.e.x with?
inquiring aka nosey minds wanna know all the sordid details too.
snort
jeanne

going to Houston TX then on to Galveston TX then on a biiiig ship to
Cozumel Mexico
can't wait!
Mary
Old March 14th 04, 03:04 AM
Mary in Oregon

Thanks..... sent this on to my friend.

--
"Mary in Oregon" wrote:

I would call the airport security and airlines and ask. I know scissors

are
a no-no as are knitting needles.

Actually the tsa site has detailed information about knitting needles,
some are OK apparently.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?co...0005198006cdff
Mary

Old March 14th 04, 03:40 AM
nzl*

mexico, ohhhhhh, havent been there since i was 9yrs old.
i loved it.
the new quilt ideas you'll come home with, wooooohoooooo, have a ball and
dont forget the travelogue when you return. we love hearing all the details
of these journeys. we live vicariously sometimes, lol.
oh, they do some fine chocolate drinks down there as i recall. not to
mention the clothing lines, i love ponchos. i wonder what fabrics/beads/lace
they might have in the shops there...take at least one empty suitcase, eh.

jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Mary in Rock Island IL" wrote...

snipped

Old March 14th 04, 03:41 AM
Maureen Wozniak

Really, Last May I got through security just fine with knitting
needles. Or maybe it varies by airline?

Maureen

Old March 14th 04, 03:44 AM
nzl*

carried them on board?
metal, plastic, wood?
only the metal would set off the metal detectors maybe the plastic/wood that
show up on the scanners dont worry some of the security people.
who knows what they think...do they think?
sometimes i wonder when you hear who gets thru carrying what items,
eeeeeeeeek!!!
jeanne