OT what puts you in the Christmas mood?

Old November 21st 03, 07:43 PM
Patti

Christmas is probably the most difficult time of the whole year for me.
For more years than I care to remember, this has been the case. I'm not
a crusty old Scrooge-type character at all. But, I have never been able
to have children and enjoy that aspect; I am never sure I have chosen
presents right; or sent cards to all the people I should have done; done
all the cooking; got enough shopping in to see us over the holiday
period, and so on. It always feels to me like I am sitting final exams
- will I pass or fail. I try to forget the superficials and concentrate
on the central meaning and purposes of Christmas, even though that is
difficult. However, then I long to have children or grandchildren to
bring up in the ways of real values, and I haven't any. So, when you
are all feeling joyous, I am truly glad for you; but please don't be too
hard on those of us for whom it is difficult or impossible.
I am not raining on anyone's parade. Happiness and joy are wonderful
gifts. Would that there were more of them about.
I probably shouldn't post this, but I think I will? You did ask!
..
In article , Diana Curtis
writes
Or, if nothing does, how come?

Diana, not being nosy, just being curious.
--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 21st 03, 08:15 PM
Joanna

Got to have my music. And it has to be all the time or else I find it
very easy to slip into a xmas depression. And of course the kids. I love
to see all the excitement out of the kids. Nothing makes me happier than
making other people happy.
Joanna
remove quilt to reply

Old November 21st 03, 09:12 PM
Kate Dicey

Diana Curtis wrote:

Or, if nothing does, how come?

Diana, not being nosy, just being curious.

I love Christmassy things... My first bit usually happens in August or
September, when I start the cooking... Then September/October I buy the
cards... November is cake and Pudding making time (must doo that this
week!), and present buying & making goes on from September through to
Christmas. My decorations go up usually on Christmas Eve and come down
on 12th Night!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 21st 03, 09:38 PM
georg

Kissmoose is good and bad. All of the religious implications of the
holiday aside (whether pagan or Christian, or other), I'm lucky that my
MIL goes to CT to visit her oldest son. So I can drag my sweetie to my
parents. Unfortunately, he'd rather go to the dentist for a drilling.
And he grembles and grembles, and grembles!! I love buying presents for
the family and thinking of them. And I enjoy my time with them. And
that's the whole important thing of the holiday.

Dead Bird Day is worse. The grembles of resentment are worse, because
his mom hosts the dinner. Since my folks get us Kissmoose, we have to
see her Dead Bird Day. We visit my parents first. He stays mostly sober
for my folks because he respects them. But as soon as we hit the road to
go to his mom, he hits the bottle. And it's drunk, angry grumbles all
the way home. I hate Dead Bird Day.

-georg

Old November 21st 03, 10:23 PM
CPI \(Aprshowers @ work\)

SNOW!!! That gets me started. Mom and I have a laugh trying to figure out
who, when and how much will the first person to get. She won for the first
snowfall about two weeks ago, only lasted 15 mins. I won for the snow
actually lasting more then 24 hours on Wednesday. And she won today for the
most to fall in a few hours (6"). She lives in North Idaho. I've sent it
on to you. LOL

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow
April
SW Washington

Old November 21st 03, 10:25 PM
CPI \(Aprshowers @ work\)

I actually have Snowmen and Snowflakes up all year! Guess that puts me in
the mood all year round. But I don't start decorating until after
Thanksgiving and when the kids get to do Advent.
April
SW Washington

Old November 21st 03, 10:26 PM
Diana Curtis

I am so glad you did post! You are right, not everyone can feel the joy of
Christmas, and its ok! Lots of people feel the same pressures you do, in
trying to create the perfection they believe makes a happy holiday time.
Maybe its time for you to change the rules. Do not give any presents
unless the item screams at you that the recipient will love it...
Send cards to only those people you love to send cards to. Change your
perceptions of Christmas and how you deal with it and it may become a joyous
time for you, and if it doesnt, life will go on.
How about this for an over the top suggestion.. take all the money you would
have spent on gifts and cards and spring a surprise party for some little
kids who wouldnt get anything otherwise.. and be there.. dress as Mrs
Claus... be silly.. have fun..
Go caroling...make snow angels...(do you get snow?) put mistletoe on your
hat and demand kisses from people you like...
All said and done, your attitude is normal. Its the bah humbuggers that
worry me.
Hugs,
Diana

--

.

Old November 21st 03, 10:39 PM
Diana Curtis

I suppose its only fair I answer this one too. :-)
To me the Christmas feeling is one of anticipation, joy, traditions old and
new, its a tingly feeling that speads thru your entire being and soul... it
makes it feel huge!!
hmmm.. sometimes its snowfall decorating the pines...or seeing the town
lit with colorful lights. (but not the ones DH and I call drippy lights).
A quiet night with all the stars sparkling in the sky, and a feeling of
insignificance and importance...
The snow under the streetlights sparkling like the rarest pure diamonds,
A special evening home alone with the family, lights off, candles lit, and
music of the season on..Nutcracker Ballet or something that reminds me of my
muscal mother...
Holiday squishies, or happy cards...
or just being with friends online and sharing the joy of the special moments
that happen during the season.
I used to resent that as Mom I was responsible for making the magic of
Christmas happen, the cookies, cards and decorating fell on my shoulders and
after a while I just wanted someone else to bring that sense of wonder to
me.. just a little... since that wasnt going to happen I learned to tame my
expectations of the season, and let go of the feelings that it was all up to
me.
I do enjoy Christmas again, but want to find that tingle of anticipation
again somehow. Maybe it would help if I were better at giving the gifts on
Christmas day instead of two months ahead? :-)
Diana

Old November 21st 03, 10:51 PM
Diana Curtis

Thats a lovely fun tradition! Snow ,and mom...
thanks for sharing that. :-)
Diana