Infinitely OT - "Do not call" list

Old August 2nd 03, 07:30 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Default Infinitely OT - "Do not call" list

I got the following from my sis this morning.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Read the fine print....

This came from a good friend of mine, so I can't vouch for this as I haven't
gotten anything in the mail, but this is very interesting.

For those that have signed up on this "do not call list" - looks as though
companies are already trying to find ways to get around it. This is to all
of you that signed up for the "do not call" law. This week I received a card
in the mail that looked alright-It said "vote for your favorite cola - Pepsi
or Coke- and receive a complementary 12 pack"

It didn't look suspicious-but for some reason I kept looking at it. THEN I
FOUND IT!! At the bottom of the card there is a VERY small statement. It is
SO small it is hard to read-but here is what it says---- "By completing this
form, you agree that sponsors and co-sponsors of this offer may telephone
you, even if your number is found on a do not call registry or list " This
REALLY upset me and I just wanted all my friends to be aware of this way to
get around the "do not call" law !! Just think how many people will send
this in and their do not call registry will be NO GOOD!!

The company's name is MARKET SOLUTION. Please send this to all your friends
that signed up for "do not call". I think this is just one of what we will
get in the future-so, READ EVERYTHING before you SIGN AND SEND!! AND TELL
YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT IT.

Old August 2nd 03, 07:32 PM
AliceW

This is not a new ploy - I made my DH promise not to buy raffle tickets
since each time he did, our phone service was changed! This is called
getting "slammed". My mamma always said "there's no such thing as a free
lunch" and "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is". Thanks for
sharing the tip, I have signed up for this list! I'm now waiting for the
other shoe to drop.

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"

Old August 2nd 03, 09:58 PM
teleflora

I don't consider this Off Topic at all. Anything that takes me away from
doing what I love to do is something that I need to know about.
But what really made me angry about that promotion (I got one too) is the
front of the card says "Receive a complimentary case!" Now for a CASE of
Pepsi, I would be willing to check my caller id before answering for awhile.
But on the back it said a 12-pack. Must be some kind of New Math.

Cindy - a 12 pack does not a case make.

Old August 3rd 03, 12:07 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/pending/callscam.asp

Of course, who knows... maybe they don't know everything.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old August 3rd 03, 02:58 AM
MerryStahel

What you don't know about the "do not call" list.

Any company who has solicited you within 18 months of you signing up - is
exempt.

All non-profits - diabetes foundations, heart foundations, companies calling
for police, firemen and vets - are exempt.

Any company who sent you flyer in the mail before you signed up - is exempt.

Any company from whom you bought something wherein you gave address or other
personal information (like delivery for furniture or appliances) - is exempt.

Exactly WHO does the "do not call" list screen?

Nobody.

That said - I signed up for it anyway, hoping it will stop the calls.

I figure they'll stop in about 5 years - right when I have to renew - since I
get garbage in the mail all the time, I've been solicited by timeshares,
insurance, vacation plans, phone companies, mortgage companies, every major
credit card company, and so on in the last 18 months, via phone or mail and
sometimes, spam.

Each time one calls - you simply ask to be put on the do not call list.
Eventually - it may work.

Barring that - get a cell-phone only - although the companies are pressuring to
get cell phone telemarketing instituted, it still isn't law, from what I
understand - mostly because consumers would get mighty angry if they had to PAY
cell phone minutes for telemarketing.

However, with the new flat fee plans some cells have - it may be what pushes
the law through.

Merry
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://www.stardancerpress.com/MerryStahel/
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old August 3rd 03, 06:06 AM
Teresa in Colorado

I finally gave in and now pay Qworst to put a message on my phone that says
"this home does not accept solicitations. If you are a solicitor, hang up
now and do not call again." We get a few calls, but this has helped a lot.

When I do get a call, I politely ask to be taken off their list IMMEDIATELY.
If they tell me that it takes 6 weeks or if they call again, I politely
inform them that I will call the police if they call me. If they call me
yet again, I file a police report. I actually do. That's what I had to do
to get the Denver Post to quit calling me 3-4 times a week. I explain to
the police that this is harrassment, since the company had been asked
repeatedly not to call, and insist on filing a report. The police can't
actually do anything, but the fact that I've called them has been effective
in getting people not to call.

--
Teresa in Colorado

Old August 3rd 03, 10:45 AM
Marie Lewis

In article , MerryStahel
writes
[...]

I am pleased to tell you that "Do not Call" works better in the UK,
unlike many things.

Once you are on it, that it is.

Since we went on it, we never receive calls from any company or charity
with which we do not regularly have real dealings.

The "Do not fax" works, too, at least for us.
One reason is that we have an 870 number for faxes and people have to
pay national rates rather than local rates to send a fax.
--
Marie Lewis
Old August 3rd 03, 06:36 PM
Raederle

Even though these types of organizations are exempt from the do not
call list, that doesn't mean you can't stop them. When they call,
tell them do put you on their do not call list. They have to comply
with the request.

Debra

Old August 3rd 03, 06:39 PM
nana2b

I, too, have signed up and it really cut down the calls to about 1or 2 a
month. The thing that really bugs me about this is that Congress managed to
exempt political calls from this list. Do they actually think they are
charity? I love caller ID and use it all the time.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 3rd 03, 07:16 PM
Teresa in Colorado

What they will tell you is that companies have many advertising contracts -
just because you go on the do-not-call list for one ad company, you may
still get calls for the other ones.

My kids would be in a lot of trouble with me and with the authorities if
they just started going through the phone numbers from 000-000-0000 through
999-999-9999. If it's not ok for kids to do it, it shouldn't be ok for
adults to do it. Period. End of story.

Caller id is not sufficient at times. I still have relatives that come
through as unavailable - so I don't have the luxury of ignoring these calls.

--
Teresa in Colorado

--
om...