Need good vibes here please

Old July 26th 03, 02:46 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I wish your mother to get well , and may i ask at the same time that
you rethink your Unkind post with

Just got a call from my father.... my mom is in intensive care right now with
severe breathing problems.

We had a family reunion last weekend, and the hotel room they were in was
growing mold. Naturally, Mom has a high sensitivity to molds, and didn't have
her prednisone with her, so she was unable to start any heavy treatment until
she got home on Sunday night. By Wednesday morning, when she had a scheduled
appointment with her doctor, her peak flow was at 60 (I don't know what 60
exactly means, but her normal is 250 and a non-asthmatic's normal peak flow is
anywhere from 400-850). My brother got her to the ER, where they started
intensive breathing treatments and at some point managed to get her peak flow
up to about 100.

They left me a message on my voicemail on Weds saying just "call me when you
get a chance", but I wasn't able to get to my messages until this morning.

Within two days, still in IC, she was back down to 60. At this point, the
doctors are really pushing for her to go onto a ventilator, but she's scared
that if she goes on a vent, she'll never get back off, especially since her
normal peak flow of 250 doesn't meet the minimum standard to be removed from a
vent.

My father is in the process of calling in the troops because Mom wants us all
at the hospital tomorrow afternoon. NOT looking forward to this!

So we could really use some good wishes / happy thoughts / prayers / whatever
you believe in over here!

Jenn L.
View My Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)

Old July 26th 03, 03:32 PM
animaux

Oh boy, really puts things into perspective. Not all ventilators are intubated.
Is she on a breathing machine? I don't know how to describe it.

Any way, I point my compassion the all in your family and may she recover soon.
Damn mold.

Old July 26th 03, 06:26 PM
Stitch Lady

"JAKL" wrote in message
So we could really use some good wishes / happy thoughts / prayers /

whatever
you believe in over here!

Good vibes for you from me... best wishes to your mom, Jen...

Stitch Lady

---
This email has been certified to be free from viruses.

Old July 26th 03, 07:59 PM
Gillian Murray

Hugs and positive thoughts are flowing your way!!

Gillian
"Caryn" wrote in message
So we could really use some good wishes / happy thoughts / prayers /

whatever
you believe in over here!

Jenn,

You, your mom, and all your family will be in my thoughts today!

Sending bestest vibes!

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)

Old July 26th 03, 08:23 PM
Elizabeth Bonello

"JAKL" wrote in message
omething to keep in mind
is that she has the necessary powers of attorney (medical and otherwise)

in
order to take care of any eventuality.

Good thing I work for an estate planning attorney, Bonnie, I'm running

into the
office this morning before going to the hospital to draw up all these

forms.
But thank you for making sure we thought of it!

Jenn L.
View My Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)

The hospital *should* have a notary public on staff so your mom can notarize
the document--that way all the legal ducks will be in order.

LittleBit

Old July 26th 03, 08:32 PM
Elizabeth Bonello

"animaux" wrote in message
Oh boy, really puts things into perspective. Not all ventilators are

intubated.
Is she on a breathing machine? I don't know how to describe it.

Any way, I point my compassion the all in your family and may she recover

soon.
Damn mold.

This is true! She can be on the vent with what is called a CPAP mask
(Continuous Positive Airway Pressure), which is a tight-fitting mask
strapped over the nose. Most patients, however, found this option to be
more uncomfortable that the endotrachial tube (you have to keep your mouth
closed and the mask is *very* tightly fitted)--but it is worth a try.

LittleBit

Old July 26th 03, 10:04 PM
Norma

Definitely sending prayers your Mom's way, and Hugs to you!

--
Star love,
Norma ;-)

Old July 26th 03, 11:47 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Mirjam . . . that is unconscionable! That was an extremely offensive,
mean spirited post. Unnecessary, unkind. Totally self-serving.

I ask all to ignore Mirjam on a temporary basis. Let's not fan the
flames in this (especially) or any other thread.
Dianne

Old July 26th 03, 11:48 PM
JAKL

Oh boy, really puts things into perspective. Not all ventilators are
intubated.
Is she on a breathing machine? I don't know how to describe it.

Any way, I point my compassion the all in your family and may she recover

soon.
Damn mold.

This is true! She can be on the vent with what is called a CPAP mask
(Continuous Positive Airway Pressure), which is a tight-fitting mask
strapped over the nose. Most patients, however, found this option to be
more uncomfortable that the endotrachial tube (you have to keep your mouth
closed and the mask is *very* tightly fitted)--but it is worth a try.

LittleBit

She's been using a nebulizer for the past year or so. At the immediate moment
they have her on a nasal tube, I think it's called a cannula? that is loosely
fit into her nostrils and the leads loop around her ears. My sister in law was
telling us about something called a BIPAP, I think she said it was a negative
pressure system.

She's apparently doing a bit better today, her peak was up to 90 this morning
when I was there. My little one is quite scared of her at the moment with the
various IV lines and the nasal thing, though.