OT Peonies, was Banned from the Garden!--very long

Old July 27th 03, 02:27 AM
Mavia Beaulieu

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Mavia, I looked up these trees in my only "tree book", but they weren't
in there - only what trees they considered good for landscaping.
Jim gave a good description - the leaves look NOTHING like maple leaves.
You might want to do a web search.

Thanks Dianne, from Jim and Brenda's descriptions we definitely don't
have black walnuts! From what I've read I guess that's a good thing.
I'll try now to make a proper identification...the black maple does
look like a possibility.

Mavia
Old July 31st 03, 07:23 AM
Marie C

Dianne Lewandowski wrote in message ...
Mavia, I looked up these trees in my only "tree book", but they weren't
in there - only what trees they considered good for landscaping.
Jim gave a good description - the leaves look NOTHING like maple leaves.
You might want to do a web search.

I CAN tell you that their roots are toxic to many plants - so if you
plan to garden around them, forget it. There are a few vegetables and
plants that can take it, but most don't.

I *think* walnuts are like the Kentucky coffee tree (which I planted
once), in that that whole "stem" with the long, narrow leaves
alternating on either side - those aren't "leaves". The whole stem,
leafy looking things are ONE leaf. Can't remember the right term for it.

Diane

Hi Diane: my plant book call them "alternate leaves with
odd-pinnate with 7 to 9 ovate to elliptic entire leaflets". Isn't
that a mouthful to say......
Marie C.
Old July 31st 03, 01:43 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Marie C wrote:
Hi Diane: my plant book call them "alternate leaves with
odd-pinnate with 7 to 9 ovate to elliptic entire leaflets". Isn't
that a mouthful to say......

No WONDER I couldn't remember! I thought there was just one word for
it. grin Thanks, Marie. I feel better, now.
Dianne