Seeking recommendation for sewing machine extension table

Old June 21st 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Default Seeking recommendation for sewing machine extension table

Hello!

I own an Elna 6003 Quilters Dream sewing machine. My sewing table is
nothing more than a flat desk with the SM sitting on top. I've always
had difficulty with free-motion quilting, so I've decided to take
another class. One of my not-so-local QS recommends the use of an
extension table for their class. Does anyone have any
recommendations?

TIA!

- dlm. in MA
Old June 21st 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I have a machine like that. I bought my extension table from the dealer
when I bought the machine. I seldom use it for piecing, but definitely a
must for free motion quilting, at least for me. Mine says "Quilter's
Rule Int'l, LLC PST-302. Mine is the standard size; I'm not sure the
larger size was available when I bought mine. It's adequate, though not
as nice as having the machine recessed into a table or cabinet. I don't
remember what I paid (I'm thinking about $65), but I'm sure it was less
than the price listed on the web site:
http://www.quiltersrule.com/tables/addatable.html. Nancy's Notions
carries the Sew-Steady tables: http://tinyurl.com/2ddme4g or
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/supplies/machines+%26+accessories/sew+steady+portable+table+11-1-2+x+15+%28shipping+restrictions+apply.+allow+up+to +6+weeks+for+delivery.%29.do
I'm sure they are available at other online dealers, too.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old June 21st 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

IMHO extension tables for free motion quilting are no match for a
table that your machine can sit down into, so that the bed is flush
with the table surface. This helps elimiate drag and pin snaggings on
the edge of the extension table and it is less stressful on your
shoulders and neck. I have extension tables for two of my Vikings,
and now that I have a Koala table with the insert and lift (bought
used about two years ago), I never use the extension tables.

But, there is no reason to buy a expensive table with a lift if you
don't want to ---a very inexpensive table is the Arrow table that Leah
Day offers on her website. I'm going to buy one of these for my
birthday, to put my Juki TL98 into (same machine Leah uses in her
table).:

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/sewingtable.htm

It's adjustable to fit the height of the machine bed and if you need
a bigger space, just add another table behind or to the side of it.

-Irene

Old June 21st 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I have the Arrow table, and it works very well! I do not have a
dedicated sewing or craft room, so the table spends the majority of
its time folded up and slid under the sofa. When I need a larger
surface I just slide a card table out of its usual hidey-hole (in the
kitchen, actually!) and put it behind the Arrow table.
Old June 22nd 10, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

IMS wrote in message ...
IMHO extension tables for free motion quilting are no match for a
table that your machine can sit down into, so that the bed is flush
with the table surface. This helps elimiate drag and pin snaggings on
the edge of the extension table and it is less stressful on your
shoulders and neck. I have extension tables for two of my Vikings,
and now that I have a Koala table with the insert and lift (bought
used about two years ago), I never use the extension tables.

This, definitely. I have a couple of Horn tables, but Koala, Horn or
Arrow, it's the same principle. And it will make a world of difference in
your free-motioning, as well as any other sewing.

Iris

Old June 22nd 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

On Jun 21, 1:01*pm, "- dlm." posed a query
regarding a SM extension table for her Elna...

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I didn't realise that the
extension tables would/could also pose a problem with additional
drag. I will look into the Koala, Horn, and Arrow type tables. If
those aren't feasible, then I will definitely try your approach
Allison! Great idea and inexpensive, too!

Many Thanks!

- dlm.

Old June 22nd 10, 01:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
PhillyQuilter[_2_]

I use a foldable computer table and set my machine on the drop down
keyboard tray that I bought for $49 at one of the nationwide computer
superstores years ago. The table is about 30" x 60" and leaves a nice
amount of space on the right for tools, thread etc. My older Bernina
works fine but my newer Brother's table is a little to large to fit
completely in the keyboard area so the extension rests on the table
top which I don't find too bad for free motion work. The additional
nice feature of this table is that the keyboard tray height is
adjustable up to about 4" so I can drop down or use free arm.

Diana - PA

Old June 22nd 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

I have a Horne desk that I love, it s 5'x4' when fully open. I also
have a SewEasy portable table that I take to classes and my guilds
BeeDay, it is very useful, but pricey. I believe that Nancy's Notions
has a portable table that also has your machine sit down into it.
Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old June 22nd 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Woo Hoo, "dlm" is BACK! Good to see you hear and glad to know you are
quilting again. At home I keep my SM in a dedicated sewing desk, Arrow
Furniture. I can lower and raise the platform, and can close up the desk to
'hide' the SM, but never do. For traveling I do not have an extension, but
would like to add one to my collection of traveling equipment.
HTH. Pat in Virginia