Learning knitt after crocheting???

Old October 21st 03, 04:10 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Bryan,

After watching my Mom knit for years I decided at age 16 to give it a go and I
loved it. My problem was I was left handed and had to learn right handed which
wasn't any problem I found out. Start a small project first to get use to doing
a guage and using the four basic stitches, knit, purl, increase and decrease.
I didn't learn to crochet until I was 25 and I do that right handed also. Which
do I prefer now, crocheting, goes much faster, but I still knit.

Nora
Old October 21st 03, 04:41 PM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Bryan wrote:

Ps If anyone know of any other online (besides SFA & Ebay) places to sell
my extra afghans. Seems I have more time to crochet, than friends and
family members! I've checked e-bay, but seems like nobody's interested in
actually paying for stuff their. If, big IF, something sells, it seems
likes it's only $5-10 or so. Tho I don't expect to be competing with bill
Gates as richest man any time soon, I'd like to at least get my money
back from the yarn, and enough to buy more yarn to make something else!

*sigh* Afghans and other handwork don't get the appreciation from the
general public. That's a long-term problem, even before the cheap goods
from the third world.

If you want to try selling things, best idea is to look at what's selling
already for good prices, or make one item and offer commission work with
the price clearly set beforehand and half the money paid in advance, with
contact information for both parties.

I notice that there's a fad for solid shirts with crocheted sleeves.
Another possibility is to connect with a good consignment shop.

=Tamar
Old October 21st 03, 07:11 PM
Laurie

I crocheted first and then learned to knit. You are ahead of the game
when you do this. First of all, you are going to be able to read
patterns pretty well. The only difference is, in crochet, you read
the direction between the commas, follow those directions, then move
on to the next bit between the next commas, etc. In knitting, you
have to read ahead more. I've fallen into the trap of following the
directions exactly as written (ex./k2 p2 for 7 rows) so I knit all 7
rows and then looked at the next bit of directions and saw in the
paragraph that followed (every 3rd row inc.) or something like that.
It isn't as systematic as crochet, but it is fun. So read those
knitting directions through once, and then when you are working,
always glance at the next paragraph before you work a bit.

You will probably knit continental style, that is more comfortable for
crocheters. But I think you will enjoy it. It is fun to be able to
do both and fun to be a learner again. I get stiff and sore doing one
project and I put it down for another project. Crocheting seems to
work my arms while knitting works my hands.

The only other thing I can tell you is dishcloths dishcloths
dishcloths! That is how I learned crochet and where I make the most
progress in knitting too. I'm working on a few big projects in
knitting (I'm knitting a cable sweater in the round from the top down)
and I put it down once in a while to do a dishcloth. The last
dishcloth I did taught me how to recognize what a purl stitch and a
knit stitch looks like when it is on the needle. Pretty darn helpful
for a cable sweater!

Have fun,
Laurie
Washougal, WA
Old October 21st 03, 07:36 PM
NoraBalcer

Bryan,

You might also try selling the afghans at craft fairs. Last year at our local
high school there must have been at least 20 tables with afghans for sale, all
prices in the $30-50 range and they were selling.

HTH,

Nora