Making cables w/o cable needle

Old November 4th 03, 02:54 PM
gdmack

Default Making cables w/o cable needle

Hi! Saw this on the tv show with Shay Pendray last Saturday and thought I'd
try it...the person demonstrating
it said that 's how the cables in Irish sweaters are done sicne it's faster
than using cable needle. :

Say you're doing a basic 4-stitch cable (right twist) ; knit into 3rd stitch
on left needle leaving first 2 stitches on
needle then slide stitches off . the 2 unstiched stitches are locked in
place, then knit the 4th stitch and then
slide the 2 unworked stitches back on left needle and knit them.. does this
make sense? seems to make the
cable tighter (mine at least :-) and works faster as you don't have to
keep stopping to get the cable needle.

Donna in SC
(getting lots of knitting done as DH is out of the country for a few months
and I can leave my stuff out where
I can see it all without him bugging me! )

Old November 4th 03, 08:46 PM
Karen

Wow -- I like that!! I love doing cables, but dealing with the needle is a
pain (literally, sometimes, like when I accidentally poke it into my palm).
Thanks for sharing this Donna, I'm going to try it!

Karen in MN

Old November 4th 03, 08:54 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Donna,

Oh, you jogged my memory, I once had a pattern that did the cable like that and
it was tighter.

Hugs,

Nora
Old November 4th 03, 09:57 PM
Aud

Yes! I'll try that!Thank you, Donna!
AUD ;-))

--

"gdmack" skrev i melding

Old November 5th 03, 03:06 AM
Katherine Burgess

Donna,
I have been doing cables like that for years. My mother used to get
disgusted with me, and even bought me "proper" cable needles. I still don't
use them. g
Katherine

Old November 5th 03, 10:54 AM
dennis bell

I used it on a vest. It works fine!

Thank you .

Dennis

"gdmack" wrote in message
[...]

Boston Area Jewelry Making classes! Yippee! lgreene Beads 2 August 11th 04 11:23 PM
making molds...progress report! Sjpolyclay Beads 10 July 17th 04 07:59 AM
faulty needle? FtForger Sewing 4 May 31st 04 10:45 AM
Advice on what do I sew canvas with, ie thread and needle. Trish Brown Sewing 2 January 22nd 04 08:37 PM
Making a ballgown for the first time lee Sewing 3 January 13th 04 08:27 PM