Socks

Old November 28th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Default Socks

Juno wrote:

I started out with this yarn:
http://www.woolneedlework.com/Yarn/S...c_Colors.shtml
and #2 needles. Now I'm using a worsted weight and # 4 needles. On my
next pair I'll probably try #3 needles.Someday I hope to go back to
the original yarn and see what I can do with bit. I'm getting my
knitting feel back and feel more comfortable with them every time I
pick up my project to work on it.

Okay, the woman at the store didn't give you bad advice. My first socks
were knit on similar yarn on size 0 (2-mm) needles. The thing is that
the finer yarns and needles are used if you plan on wearing the socks
with shoes. Worsted-weight socks generally are too thick to wear with
shoes - there are exceptions, but I did say "generally" - but are fine
for wearing as slippers. It appears that you're more comfortable working
with thicker yarns and larger needles right now, and that's fine, but
remember that the finer yarns and needles exist for a reason. I can't
wear my thicker socks with any of my shoes, and I have a pretty narrow
foot for the size I wear. My shoes are all pretty loose on me, but
socks made with anything thicker than fingering-weight sock yarn don't
fit.

That said, enjoy your first socks. This could be the beginning of a
life-long obsession :-)

The Other Kim
kimmeratsoylentgreenfielddotcom

Old November 29th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Nov 27, 11:17*pm, Juno B wrote:
Katherine wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:58 pm, Juno B wrote:
Hi all,
I'm back to tell you that my friend came over on Monday and got me
started on 4 needle socks. She had taken me shopping for new yarn and
larger needles first. Once she showed me how to get going, everything
fell into place.She said she thought the woman in the yarn shop steered
me wrong on what to buy. She tried using my original yarn and needles
and said she, who is an experienced sock and mitten maker, was having
trouble. When *spring comes and I return to Cape Cod I'll tell the woman
in the yarn shop out there that I was unhappy with her service and as a
result she has lost someone who would have been a frequent and good
customer.I'll do my shopping here at home first and bring my projects
with me when I go to Cape Cod.

Sounds as though you have gotten things sorted out now, Juno.
Good to hear!
Can you tell us what yarn and needles were first recommended and
what ones you ended up using?

Higs,
Katherine

I started out with this yarn:http://www.woolneedlework.com/Yarn/S...c_Colors.shtml
and #2 needles. Now I'm using a worsted weight and # 4 needles. On my
next pair I'll probably try #3 needles.Someday I hope to go back to the
original yarn and see what I can do with bit. I'm getting my knitting
feel back and feel more comfortable with them *every time I pick up my
project to work on it.

I think that yaen and needle combination should have worked just fine.
Maybe your
friend didn't like the self-patterning aspect of it.
The worsted weight will make much heavier socks - the type I would
wear as either
house socks or inside boots in the winter. The other weight I wear in
regular shoes.

Higs,
Katherine
Old November 29th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Nov 28, 1:42*pm, "The Other Kim" wrote:
Juno wrote:
[...]

LOL Kim, you and I said almost the exact same thing, but in
slightly different words. I should have read to the end of the
thread before replying.

Higs,
Katherine
Old January 27th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Patricia A. Swan

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:17:04 -0500, Juno B wrote:

Katherine wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:58 pm, Juno B wrote:
[...]

Hugs,
Juno

I'm posting this from way, *way* down the time line, but I'm a poster on
some of the knitting groups on yahoo. Smaller, tighter stitches make for a
more durable sock in most cases. The woman's attitude was appalling, but
that was a reasonably valid choice in needle and yarn for someone who's not
knitted a lot in a while. This will probably make you wince, but most of
the folks I know online who knit socks use from a US Size 0 (2.00mm) to a
US Size 2 (2.75mm) with between 8 and 10 stitches per inch in most cases
unless they're making a heavy-weight boot or house sock on larger needles
with worsted-weight yarn, though I've one pattern that's done on 4/0
(1.25mm) needles at approx. 12.9 stitches per inch. Some of these folks
are getting a wear-life on their socks of in excess of ten years.

You might look into the Magic Loop technique to replace your double pointed
needles at some point in the future. Makes knitting life *so* much easier
for a lot of sock knitters. Combine it with the Short-row heel technique,
and Judy Becker's Magic Cast-On or the Turkish Cast-on, and it's dead
simple to make socks from the toe up that are easily customized to your
specific foot dimensions. And since Magic Loop is worked on longer cable
needles like the 47 inch Addi Turbos and Addi Lace, or the Hiya-Hiya, or
the KnitPicks Harmony woods, there's room to work both socks to the pair
side-by-side on the needle at the same time if you're feeling up to a
challenge.

Hope this helps,

Pat in North Carolina
Old February 22nd 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Katherine wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:58 pm, Juno B wrote:
[...]

Ohhhhhh.. socks! I'm glad your friend was able to help you find a
comfortable needle and yarn size for you.

I would agree with the others who posted --- sock knitting is ADDICTIVE. I
am finishing my first pair now. I wasn't up to the challenge of the magic
loop, but I DID replace those double points with two sets of circular
needles. What an amazing difference from using 4 dpns. I had remembered
finding dpns a challenge, but with two circulars, it was all very simple.
See Cat Bordhi demonstrate the technique at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybPvCNfrT8

I also learned Judy Becker's Magic Cast-On from a Cat Bordhi video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBIS0AhhQY

I used a self striping yarn and worked from the toe up. I can't wait to knit
my next pairs.

Lisa in NJ

Old February 23rd 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

wrote:

Katherine wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:58 pm, Juno B wrote:
[...]

Katherine, Lisa, and all,

I agree also. Socks are addictive. My last pair was a pink pair for my
6 year old grand daughter Ava.

I agree, the self striping yarn is fun.

Higs,
Dennis
Old March 1st 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Feb 23, 12:03*am, Spike Driver wrote:

I agree also. *Socks are addictive. My last pair was a pink pair for my
6 year old grand daughter Ava.

I agree, the self striping yarn is fun.

It is, but I am kind of tired of it right now. It doesn't allow
patterns to
show up. However, I still have several balls of self-striping to use
up,
so I will learn to love it again.
My youngest granddaughter loves hand-knit socks so much so that
she wears them even in the summer, in her sandals. LOL

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 1st 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Gerald & Donna McIntosh

"Katherine" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 12:03 am, Spike Driver wrote:

I agree also. Socks are addictive. My last pair was a pink pair for my
6 year old grand daughter Ava.

I agree, the self striping yarn is fun.

It is, but I am kind of tired of it right now. It doesn't allow
patterns to
show up. However, I still have several balls of self-striping to use
up,
so I will learn to love it again.
My youngest granddaughter loves hand-knit socks so much so that
she wears them even in the summer, in her sandals. LOL

Higs,
Katherine

How bout making mittens with the self-striping yarn? I used some leftovers
for baby mittens.

Donna in S. Indiana

Old March 5th 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Mar 1, 10:39*am, "Gerald & Donna McIntosh"
wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message

On Feb 23, 12:03 am, Spike Driver wrote:

I agree also. Socks are addictive. My last pair was a pink pair for my
6 year old grand daughter Ava.

I agree, the self striping yarn is fun.

It is, but I am kind of tired of it right now. It doesn't allow
patterns to
show up. However, I still have several balls of self-striping to use
up,
so I will learn to love it again.
My youngest granddaughter loves hand-knit socks so much so that
she wears them even in the summer, in her sandals. LOL

Higs,
Katherine

How bout making mittens with the self-striping yarn? *I used some leftovers
for baby mittens.

That's an idea, too.

Higs,
Katherine

As a socks Manufacturer in the sock capital of the world, We export Sports Socks, Dress soxmaker Yarn 0 September 15th 07 09:21 AM
Those Lithuanian socks from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks book spampot Yarn 1 September 29th 06 05:38 AM
My first socks Ria Van de Velde Yarn 5 January 8th 04 11:19 AM
Socks bug hit here :-))) Anna MCM Yarn 9 November 27th 03 04:21 PM
Socks help Kirsten Procter Yarn 6 October 28th 03 01:38 PM