How to store and care for "Copper Bracelet" (Silver Bracelet)

Old September 10th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ChristopherL

Default How to store and care for "Copper Bracelet" (Silver Bracelet)

I am planning on using Hagarty silver strip paper to store and protect
my silver bracelet. I think I'm suppose to change the paper every 6
months! The bracelet has also been surrounded by common jewelry tissue
paper.

But, what should I do to protect my copper bracelet?

What else should I do or be concerned about.

Thank you,
Chris
Old September 10th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 17:53:55 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry ChristopherL
wrote:

I am planning on using Hagarty silver strip paper to store and protect
my silver bracelet. I think I'm suppose to change the paper every 6
months! The bracelet has also been surrounded by common jewelry tissue
paper.

All this paper or products like it do, is to absorb/neutralize the sulphide
compounds in the air that can react with the copper in sterling silver causing
it to tarnish. It doesn't reverse existing tarnish, of course, nor does it
offer protection against anything else. Tarnish protection is still nice, but
not absolutely essential, since it's also not that hard to remove it when it
forms, simultaneously restoring the bright polish. Any decent rouge or similar
silver polishing cloth can do that when needed in a few moments, if used before
the tarnish gets too black. Easier yet, are dips like Tarnex, which also
remove black or discoloring tarnish, though they don't shine the metal up again,
so you still need the polishing cloth. And if you wear the bracelet at all,
you'll find that even stored with the Hagarty paper, it may still get wear on
the finish that will benefit from the same occasional work with the polishing
cloth

By the way, the Hagarty brand is not the only such paper on the market. They
may not even be the manufacturer. The best known brand direct from the maker is
the 3M line of anti-tarnish paper. Usually sold through jewelry tools or
packaging distributors, such as Rio Grande. www.riogrande.com It's a black
paper much like construction paper in look, and how long it lasts depends much
on whether it's in a closed/sealed space or not. Put the bracelet in a closed
box or zip lock bag with a bit of that paper for better protection than just
loosely wrapped.

By the way, not all sterling silver needs anti-tarnish protection. Some
standard sterling silver commercially made jewelry is electroplated by the
manufacturers with a rhodium electroplate. Rhodium is one of the platinum group
of metals, quite white in color but not as white as silver itself (a bit darker,
more like a "chrome" color) If your bracelet has been rhodium plated, then it's
already fully protected against tarnish, at least until you physically wear
through that plated layer. Many, if not most, sterling silver chain sold
commercially is rhodium plated, for example. Most hand made or custom made
silver jewelry, however, is not (It's not so simple to do, and many people
prefer the native color of the silver to that of rhodium. Plus, rhodium is a
very expensive metal, so even a thin electroplate costs money.)

But, what should I do to protect my copper bracelet?

Again, the tarnish that forms on silver is composed of copper sulphides, and a
little bit of silver sulphides. With copper, the main tarnish that forms is
also sulphides, but copper can form direct oxides too, usually when heated or
more aggressively treated. The same chemical protectants in the silver paper
will also work with copper, and the same products used to remove existing
tarnish will work too, on copper. Because copper reacts a bit more quickly than
sterling silver, the paper may need changing more often.

Whether your copper needs any special protection depends in part on how it's
made. Much of the copper jewelry sold has had a clear lacquer applied to
protect the surface, because copper tarnishes or oxidizes rather quickly in air.
If your bracelet is coated this way, then the use of anti-tarnish paper will
have no benefit. Use it only if you notice the bracelet having a tendancy to
discolor. Or skip the treatment and accept that copper's natural appearance is
an oxidized one. It can be quite pretty that way, and if you like it like that,
then you save yourself the hassel of always trying to clean up something that
doesn't really want to be bright copper color...

What else should I do or be concerned about.

Well, for one thing, be aware that despite lots of folk lore about copper
jewelry, especially as relates to arthritis, copper is actually somewhat toxic
to humans. Some people more than others, react poorly to it. Some folks are
very allergic to it. In some some other species (like fish, invertebrates,
etc) it's Highly toxic. (don't toss pennies into your aquarium...) If you're
hoping for health benefits from copper, do your research in respected medical
sources, not from those folks trying to promote or sell you something. While
there are lots of folks claiming benefits of copper who'd then like to sell you
some, there are no serious and properly done studies that actually show such
benefits, and any decent dermatologist can tell you about folks for whom it's
not a good thing. On the other hand, if all you are seeking is simply the
beautiful look of copper, then simply be on the lookout for any skin irritation
that might occur with some people where the copper comes in contact. If this
happens, you can isolate the copper from your body by coating the contact
surfaces with something like clear nail polish or another coating of the sort.
Works just like the clear lacquers sometimes used to protect the copper from
tarnishing. And there are also many people for whom there is little noticable
reaction, and they can usually enjoy copper jewelry without problems.

Peter Rowe
Old September 10th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Maren at google

On Sep 9, 3:22 pm, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:
[...]

A few things to consider:

As Peter says, if your copper is already protected by some sort of
varnish
there is nothing else you'd want to or have to do. (Conscientious as
Peter
is - I wish all newsgroup moderators would be.)

While copper sulphate is somewhat poisonous, and sulfur is what reacts
with copper, copper doesn't plain oxidize, copper sulphate is a rather
inert substance. You may want your copper bracelet to 'antique'
naturally. That 'tarnish' will protect you from the copper, and it's
mostly copper sulfide (black stuff) rather than copper sulphate
(blue-green stuff).

And, what most people (at least the people I know) are allergic to
isn't
copper but the cobalt and nickel that's usually in it.
One of my reasons to prefer surgical steel earring hooks over sterling
silver - but I know a person who's allergic to those too.

It depends on whether you're after the shiny appearance or what
else you're after.

Aloha,
Maren
HiloBeads: Beads - Beading Supplies - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/
(in Hilo, Hawaii, which has a rather high sulfur content in the air)
Old September 12th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mr G H Ireland[_2_]

While copper sulphate is somewhat poisonous, and sulfur is what reacts
inert substance. You may want your copper bracelet to 'antique'
mostly copper sulfide (black stuff)

-- "rather than copper sulphate (blue-green stuff)" --

And, what most people (at least the people I know) are allergic to
isn't copper but the cobalt and nickel that's usually in it.
One of my reasons to prefer surgical steel earring hooks over sterling
silver - but I know a person who's allergic to those too.

It depends on whether you're after the shiny appearance or what
else you're after.

Just a small interruption if anyine is interested--

The blue-green coating usually forming on copper exposed to the weather is
basic copper carbonate, sometimes called "verdegris", not copper sulphate
which is a crystalline solid.
(granted, it is blue-green.)
Copper sulphate is water-soluble and would wash away from the metal surface
when it rains, if it were to form.
I am not sure of the mechanism which causes some wearers of copper jewellery
to get greenish stains on the skin, it is probable that ammonia or an amine
in the sweat allows copper ions to penetrate the skin..

-- end of interruption.

G.H.Ireland

--
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services